Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
Has anybody ever put 944 directional/ heated side mirrors on their car?

I picked up a set of ? year 944 side mirrors. Need to get door mounts, directional switch and a heater switch. driving.gif
skline
Its been done, I have seen it. I dont have them on mine, but I have seen several cars with those mirrors on them. It just takes time to wire them in and make them sit right, but anything is possible on these cars with a little enginuity.
jim912928
944, 911 and 928's all used the same upper part of the mirror, electrics etc.....but the bases are different. The 911 base is what works on the 914. 944 and 928 bases are cut too vertical. The 911 base is cut to fit more on a rounded door like the 914. You'll also need the "inside the door" metal backing plate to give strength when hanging these...they can be obtained at a porsche dealer or someplace that sells OEM parts (they are like 7 bucks apiece).
Root_Werks
agree.gif Yeah, what he said. The 944,928 base of the mirrors will need to be replaced. The 911 base is a close start. You can re-curve the base to sit on a 914 door. Done it a couple of times now. Takes time is all. We need a smiley with a grinder. biggrin.gif
markb
Just be careful not to cut the holes too low, they're a pain to fix.
aircooledboy
One of my parts cars has them, and the holes are rusted like crazy ohmy.gif , so be careful. beerchug.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 26 2004, 08:34 AM)
Just be careful not to cut the holes too low, they're a pain to fix.

What he said! I put a set of these on my 72 and got the holes too low so they looked like droopy rabbit ears. I never did get them right. Fortunately, I was planning to replace the doors with late 73 doors so it wasn't a loss. I've never tried again to mount them.

To avoid this problem, I've asked several times on this board for someone who has them to have mercy and trace their doors to create a template so that the holes can be done right the first time. I've yet to see anyone do this, but it would be very much appreciated since the same holes go for the more modern, rounded 911 mirrors that IMO look much better on a 914.
markb
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Oct 26 2004, 11:16 PM)

To avoid this problem, I've asked several times on this board for someone who has them to have mercy and trace their doors to create a template so that the holes can be done right the first time. I've yet to see anyone do this, but it would be very much appreciated

I've asked too. Anybody? Please?
jim912928
I will try to do this this weekend (map out the 911 mirrors). I was too busy getting my car drivable (brakes, heating, clutch cable etc.) for the fall foilage classic. I should be able to snap some pictures and measurements this weekend. Then I'll post as a new topic.

Jim
ThinAir
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 27 2004, 10:38 AM)
I will try to do this this weekend (map out the 911 mirrors).

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

You certainly had your priorities right in doing all that other stuff to your car first, but doing this for the rest of us will be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'll ever put these mirrors on a teener again, but if I do I want to get it right the first time!
markb
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 27 2004, 10:38 AM)
I will try to do this this weekend (map out the 911 mirrors). I was too busy getting my car drivable (brakes, heating, clutch cable etc.) for the fall foilage classic. I should be able to snap some pictures and measurements this weekend. Then I'll post as a new topic.

Jim

Yes, thanks much, Jim. It will be very appreciated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.