Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring help (shouldn't be hard)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelmoo
I need help with something that is simple that I forgot to write down when working on my car. (My fault….).
I need info on the wiring that goes from the wiring harness/coil/dizzy (that has the Pertornx). I have four wire coming out of the wiring harness by the dizzy (red,green,and two blacks). The red and green go to the oil press sending unit, so that leaves two blacks. Out of the dizzy is a red and black wire. I believe the red wire goes to the + side of the coil and the black (dizzy) to the – side of the coil. Were to the two from the wiring harness go?
Joe Ricard
Seems you are missing one. Black purple 14 gauge is for the 12 to the coil (positive) the smaller wire 16 ga. from the harness is black it is for the tach. Since these cars are old you may just want to put a meter on the wires to verify your predecessor ain't trying to screw you. Yes the green and red is from the oil pressure idiot light. Seems your Petronics will be wired right (as per your installation instructions.
michaelmoo
Thanks.
ok so know it should look like this. but were dose the black wires go? i now know that the 16 ga is for the tach but were does it conect to. Please forgive me for being an idiot. And sorry about the crude drawing….
michaelmoo
bump
michaelmoo
hello.....alfred.gif
Demick
The tach wire goes to the - terminal on the coil.

I'm not sure where the other black wire goes (don't have my car here to look at it). There is a temp sensor in the intake manifold right in that area which connects with a single wire. Could it be that?

Demick
Demick
Oil pressure sender shouldn't have 2 wires going to it should it? I thought it only was a single wire (unless you have a dual sender for a gauge, but the extra wire wouldn't be in the wiring harness).

Demick
bondo
Perhaps the extra wires are for the trigger points? (fuel injection) If you have carbs and a non-stock distributor those wires would have noplace to go.
Demick
I'm pretty sure trigger points wires are all white, and there should be 3 of them terminated into a connector housing.

Demick
michaelmoo
I have carbs, oil press gauge, and (do not kill me as I didnt put this on) a 009. Thanks for all the help. I will "play" with this tonight and post an update. wavey.gif
Joe Ricard
By the looks of the drawing the car should run. Petronics red + black - Oil idiot light green red stripe. the picture indicated oil pressure/idiot light sending unit. Does the pressure gauge work?

Other than that I can tell you the tach won't work, one of the 2 black wires goes to the tach. I sugest once you get it to start and run touch either of the black wires tothe negative of the coil see which one activates the tach. The other black wires is something left over in the harness from the fuel injection.
michaelmoo
Thanks!! smilie_pokal.gif
SLITS
The other wire should/could be for the thermotime sensor mounted just under the plenum (controls cold start valve).
Doug Leggins
I have a 72 with carbs and a pertronix. I also have a MSD and tach adapter, so they are wired in also.

The black wire with purple stripe is for the tach signal and goes to the negative side of the coil.

I have 4 wires coming out of the harness.
1- blk/pu - If i didn't have the tach adapter and MSD, I would have this running to the negative side of the coil
2- wht not hooked up to anything
3- green with red stripe to oil pressure switch
4- black with red stripe - If I didn't have the tach adapter and MSD, I would have this one running to the positive side of the coil.

Pertronix - red goes to coil positive, black goes to coil negative.

Hope this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.