Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Splitting the engine block have some questions,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammer920
Started yesterday removing all the bolts and nuts on the block, Haynes stated there are 24. I have removed all but the 6 - 17mm long bolts, have removed the nuts but the bolts will not come all the way out, and I don't want to screw them up, did take a wooden dowel and a rubber mallet and tried to tap those out but they get stuck about half way. Do these need to come all the way out or part of the way? I have tapped around the right side of the block, block is splitting on the front and bottom on both ends but on the top on the transmissin end is not splitting there are no bolts there to keep it from splitting. Any Suggestions Would be appreciated?

Also I bought some 1.7 90mm pistons and jugs (new) they are made by Cofap part #'s 022 198 075, J036D, 01 022 19875, dommed pistons. Will these pistons and jugs be good enough for daily driver. smile.gif

And By the way everytime I start back to work on this it rains have to stop put all the stuff back in storage shead and wait. headbang.gif
machina
If you are talking about the long bolts at the center of the case, they have plastic retainers to keep them in place. You can remove them after the case is split, don't hammer them out before.
Demick
First - Don't try to remove the 6 big bolts. Oh, you already did. They have plastic retainers in between the case halves that will not allow them to be removed. You simply remove the nuts, and leave the bolts in place. When you split the case, the bolts will stay put.

Second. There are lots of smaller bolts and studs that hold the case together. Even when you think you got them all, there are almost definitely more. Then when you think you got them all again - there are still a couple left. Keep looking for them - you'll find them.

Can't help you with the pistons and cylinders.

Oh, and get yourself a good book for rebuilding. I would highly recommend Tom Wilson's 'How to rebuild your Volkswagen air-cooled engine". Jake Raby's rebuild video from Bug Me Videos is also good.

Demick
machina
these things
KenH
Well there are 26 bolts. 18ea 13mm, 2ea 10mm &6 ea Big bolts.

The Big bolts will not come out because they have plastic vibration dampers on them. You will see when you have the case apart.

You can "part" the case when you have the all the 13mm & 10mm nuts & bolts off, plus the Big nuts.

Ken
Hammer920
smile.gif Thanks I have not removed the 6 bolts just the nuts all 6 of them are still in the block just tapped on them not har would not come out left well enough alone will try to finish splitting it today is comming apart except top of transmission has split a little will continue to tap on it.

thanks again for the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.