Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please post: V-8 conversion exhaust system pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mittelmotor
Hi guys,

My project is getting into the exhaust system phase, and I've got a couple of bare manifolds waiting for some tubing and mufflers.

I'm having trouble deciding on exact configuration (twin tips straight out, single side exhaust with a collector, etc.). I'd like to keep it tucked away out of sight as much as possible, and keep the sound level reasonable.

Any pics of your system would be greatly appreciated!

--Doug
Mike Bellis
This is what mine looked like when I had a V8...

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
matthepcat
If you want to remove all drone, I would bring one side of the exhaust under the oil pan and merge it with the other side (like a factory exhaust). From that point run one large exhaust through a muffler in the factory location out one side. Even using a high flow cat would remove some stink.
Dr. Roger
corvette c5 mufflers. cut 40% off of the length, gutted 3 of the 5 internal baffles, and welded the end back on.

c5 location worked perfectly on 914 after shortening.

size and configuration similar to this pic.

IPB Image
bulitt
Nice V8 over on ebay with side exhausts. Link wont stay up long.
V8
andys
Flowmaster 50 series three chamber mufflers.

Andys
v82go
SBC with long tube headers and a Porsche GT3 muffler, I have built 4 different

exhaust systems (turbo mufflers, flowmasters, Ferrari mufflers, GT3) the GT3

sounds the best by far and is fairly quiet but still mean sounding and no drone
mittelmotor
Thanks, guys. Keep 'em coming! I love the ingenuity of all these different approaches.
clow
Very interesting one.

'strewteral' posted it in one of my v8 threads

IPB Image

IPB Image

Clow
seanery
OMG that's a monster exhaust!!! ohmy.gif
Mike Bellis
Those 180 degree headers sound awesome too. Kind of like a European super car. They just take up way too much room...
computers4kids
SBC with Turbo mufflers with crossover pipe
IPB Image IPB Image
mittelmotor
She's a runner! A few teething problems; I understimated the amp draw for the fans, so a fuse blew, and some starter solenoid circuit issues that I hope will be fixed with a relay, on the advice of Steve at Renegade.

Car is everything I thought it would be with the V-8, and I haven't even given it more than half throttle! (breaking in the clutch, y'know). Smooth effortless torque, super well mannered with the fuel injection.

Exhaust is great!! Maybe too subdued for some, but for my semi-sleeper build it's just right. Nice quiet burble, very refined. Particulars:

--2.25" tubing
--dual inlet/dual outlet muffler from a 1967-1968 Mustang
--stock valance exit on driver's side, hidden dump pipe on passenger side

I'm really happy with the tip...looks like it was made for the car. Muffler tucks up so nice that all you see is the exhaust hanger, and I could clean that up later with a straight-across piece.

Frank at Laguna Muffler Service in SoCal did the whole thing for $300, but I insisted it was worth $350. The final touch will be some muffler wrap for the tubes going over the axles, to keep heat away from the CV joints and starter.
db9146
Mittelmotor,

Nice solution.
Andyrew
Not enough heat in the exhaust to worry about muffler wrapping. FYI.

Great looking setup!

I have two magnaflows over the axles after the axles right by the bumper. Simple, works, and sounds great smile.gif
nick mironov
I used a Magnaflow dual-in dual out-muffler.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dadaDaveed
QUOTE(nick mironov @ Sep 7 2012, 04:52 PM) *

I used a Magnaflow dual-in dual out-muffler.

Nick, how does that setup sound? I'm thinking about using the same muffler on my LS1 conversion.
mittelmotor
Great setups. That Magnaflow looks pretty burly! Andrew, I think I'll wrap the pipes anyhow. I had a 944 where the pipe pan-fried a CV joint. Maybe overkill, but the JEGS order has been placed.

Here's a pic of the shift rod extension. Somebody PM'd me and I didn't know how to send a pic directly, so here it is. You can see the cut was made on the straightest part of the rod. You can either sleeve it on the outside, or do like I did and weld rod stock inside the tube.

Also note side bolts for the LS1's 6-bolt mains! blink.gif
speed metal army
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
2.5" SS Magnaflow SS 2in/out beer3.gif
Sorry bout the cell phone pics.
speed metal army
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
2 more beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.