Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennshift Performance Shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
I got my 901 shifter from James Adams today. Unfortunately the engine is out of my car so I can't try it out. Hopefully, I'll be at the next track date on May 24 and can try it then. It certainly looks and feels real nice and solid. Instructions come on a CD which is a nice touch. A big thanks to James for trying to improve and prolong our 914 experiences.
driving.gif boldblue.gif MDB2.gif
airsix
Oh Drew, you big tease. Who else got one today? Hurry up. Go install it and drive around the neighborhood. We'll wait here for your report. Hurry up. We're all waiting right here until you get back.

-Ben M.
campbellcj
Andy, don't forget to show it off (to me) at the Streets.

My wallet has bled to death in the last couple months, but it may come back to life enough for some trans & shifter upgrades this summer.
drew365
Well I finally got to drive my car today. This shifter is sweet. Fourth gear is in the same place every time. And the 4 to 1 shift ain't gonna happen any more. If I had it to do over I would probably order the 33% reduction as I had a short shift kit and I ordered the 18% reduction and this is a little longer throw but I'll get used to it real fast. It's like driving a different car. boldblue.gif
TimT
I got my shifter from James yesterday.

It is really a nice piece. Ill be installing it tomorrow at Pocono. I like the idea that it centers on the"2/3" plane. you have to pass a spring to get 1/R, and 4/5

Did that make any sense LOL

And 2 thumbs up to James.. I gave him a "I need it by date" and he beat it...

Ill be buying a rennshift for my 911 also
JWest
I'm really glad you guys are happy with the shifters.

Andy, I can convert your shifter to 33% for $35 if you send it back to me - maybe sometime when your car is down for maintenance.
ChrisReale
James, how much time do you need in advance to make one of these? I want one in the near future.
JWest
I need about 3 weeks to catch up with all my orders.

It takes about a week for me to send it after you tell me the order details. This will get quicker as I streamline production.
campbellcj
Damn...another thing to add to the ever-growing "list"...

I have a Welt shifter spring kit sitting here, but they are such a PITA that I don't even feel like dealing with it now.
Brad Roberts
Somebody up north get one in a RUNNING/DRIVING car..so I can do some comparison shopping. LOL

B
seanery
There's one coming your way for my car.
Brad Roberts
These guy's dont know what they are missing.

98% of the shifting BullS_it in a 914 comes down to a crappy shifter.

You learned that first hand (Sean)...

B
seanery
I was waiting to comment publicly on this until I used James' version.

I was as skeptical as they come with shifter making much difference, but we tested 3 different shifters in my car and the version that works on the same principal as James' was incredible. The stock-well, it sucked. The short shift-was much better, but had too much free play side to side, and the badass shifter (similar to James)-well, it was badass! I was cursing Brad for showing it to me, I knew then that I had to have one. I ordered it yesterday. 33% reduction fully polished. biggrin.gif
seanery
Oh, and that was on a tailshifter!!!

I'm passing on the sideshifter til the car gets a 6!

It's THAT good!!!!
Brad Roberts
For side shift or tail shift Sean ?? which way will we go ??

B
Brad Roberts
Yes. I seriously think less people would have converted their tailshift cars to side shift if a better shifter was on the market back then.

I know I wont convert another car... I'll buy a better shifter (personal cars)

B
JWest
Brad - I'm building a tail-shift version for Sean. It is going to be shipped to you next week.

If Sean (or anyone who buys my shifter) wants to convert to side-shift later, I will convert the shifter for $35. I has to be sent back to me for that.
Qarl
Damn you James and your purty shifter.

I sent you an e-mail.

Regards,
jfort
How do I place an order? Credit card? Bank check?
JWest
I take Paypal and checks. jfort you are on my list so I will let you know when I can take your order.
Dave Cawdrey
I need an address to send you my stock unit...

Please.
bander
Looks nice. Could you remind us what the starting price is?
brant
I got one from James this week. I haven't yet installed it but I'm very impressed thus far... can't wait to drive on it.

brant
JWest
Click on the link at the bottom of this post for more info and pricing.
jfort
James,

I have checked where I know to look but I cannot find an address to which to send the money. Please let me know and then THE CHECK'S IN THE MAIL. Can't wait to get and install it.

Thanks,

Jeff
Qarl
Send the check to:
James Adams
112 Chaparral Ct
Willow Park, TX 76087

You're welcome James.

I sent my check today too!

Vroom! MDB2.gif
JWest
Jeff, got your e-mail.

And thanks Karl!
Downunderman
James,

Maybe i'm bit late catching up on this board (perhaps the time difference) but what is this gadget and what does it do? I've got a six with a tail shift and maybe you have saved me the trouble of building a cable shift.

How
Downunderman
Sorry James, if i'd looked more carefully I would have seen the link.
Lawrence
Anyone have a picture of the unit installed? Is visually obvious in a 914?

-Rusty
Downunderman
James, do you make one for a tailshift 6??

How
JWest
Let me resize some pics of installed shifters and I will post them.

I do make the shifter for the tail-shift 914/6 (with hand throttle slot if you need it). See the "ordering" link on for model specific options. rennshift.com for model specific options.
JWest
Here's a couple. The shift housing (the round part that sticks up) is slightly larger in diameter than the hole in the 914 center console, so the hole will have to be enlarged slightly to fit around the shifter. I will have pics of this soon.
JWest
another
JWest
one more
seanery
how did the 911 boot fit?
Did it just slide on?
Does anything hold the bottom?

thanks,
sean
JWest
The 911 boot ('73 and later) fits easily over the shifter. It is held down by the upper part (tight fit on the stick).
jfort
Just got mine installed this evening. Just took a spin. I can't believe how much improved the shifting is! A notchy, positive feel that wasn't there before. I got the 30% reduction version. Good product. Exactly as advertised. And if I can get it in, anyone can.

I had to tinker with the adjustment. Didn't understand the "marking" of the shift rod, but after reading the directions a few times and studying the linkage, I saw what James was trying to explain and I was able to get neutral in the center.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.