Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
To retro fit late regulaters into Early (non-beam) doors?
iamchappy
I am considering trying it, I have both sets of doors and think if i weld in the inner door from the late to the early, and drill some holes in the bottom it should work fine.
SLITS
Easier to buy early '73 doors - no beam, late regulator
McMark
Easier how? Is there an Early-73-Doors-R-Us I don't know about? You're talking about parts for a very small sub-section of cars. I'm actually thinking about keeping a car for a full restoration, just because it has these doors. It's worth exploring to see if the later regulator can be retrofitted.

beerchug.gif
SLITS
I've got two pairs of them -
McMark
Why don't you just rub everyone's nose in it. Sheesh.

lol2.gif
SirAndy
retro fit late regulaters into Early (non-beam) doors?

but why?

confused24.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 26 2004, 02:07 PM)
retro fit late regulaters into Early (non-beam) doors?

but why?

confused24.gif Andy

good window mechanism, in lighter doors.

lighter is faster
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 26 2004, 02:09 PM)
good window mechanism

the early mechanism works just fine ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
Root_Werks
The later windows use felt chanels instead of little rollers. Less rattling around. I had a late door with on early regulator in it. Someone had just drilled a couple of extra holes. Seemed to work fine. I would bet it would be that easy to swap the other way. The back chanel bolted in the same, so there is your point of reference for an install. Fit, drill, maybe oblong the holes a tad and adjust. Seeing it done late door/early reg makes me think it could be done early door/late reg.

idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 26 2004, 02:19 PM)

not to hijack this thread or anything, but ...

"Root's German Werks"

what's a "Werks" ???
confused24.gif Andy
ppickerell
Easy in Emeryville and HPH both have a pretty good stash of doors.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 26 2004, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 26 2004, 02:19 PM)

not to hijack this thread or anything, but ...

"Root's German Werks"

what's a "Werks" ???
confused24.gif Andy

Ooooooooo, someone a number of years ago said it sounded more german since I was working on German cars etc.... I said it looks like I cannot spell, but whatever. biggrin.gif confused24.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Oct 26 2004, 02:07 PM)
Why don't you just rub everyone's nose in it. Sheesh.

lol2.gif

Naw, just wanted to let you know they are around. You ain't a puppy so why rub your nose in it. rolleyes.gif Hell, I believe vin #914114 had them. laugh.gif

The alignment of everything would be a pain, but you're a teener owner so - "head on"

I have\have had 2 '71s and 1 '70 and agree with the Resident Deutscher that the early window mechanisms are just fine if taken care of.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 26 2004, 02:37 PM)
Ooooooooo, someone a number of years ago said it sounded more german since I was working on German cars etc.... I said it looks like I cannot spell, but whatever.

i just ran "Werks" through my translator and it came up with:

similar words in english:
weeks – works – jerks – perks

similar words in german:
werk – werke

biggrin.gif "weeks worth of works and the jerks get all the perks"

the german word "Werk" would make sense as it is a part of a factory.
but the plural for Werk is Werke, not Werks ...

just wondering ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Root_Werks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 26 2004, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 26 2004, 02:37 PM)
Ooooooooo, someone a number of years ago said it sounded more german since I was working on German cars etc....  I said it looks like I cannot spell, but whatever.

i just ran "Werks" through my translator and it came up with:

similar words in english:
weeks – works – jerks – perks

similar words in german:
werk – werke

biggrin.gif "weeks worth of works and the jerks get all the perks"

the german word "Werk" would make sense as it is a part of a factory.
but the plural for Werk is Werke, not Werks ...

just wondering ...
beerchug.gif Andy

My grandma (Speaks German) got on my case about Werks years back. She said the same thing you did. Should be Werke, but I thought I was being smart and "Americanizing" the word but still making look German. Sigh. Oh well. I guess I could change it? Maybe I should make a vote forum? rolleyes.gif
mightyohm
I'm with Andy, the early door mechanism works FINE. I have two working ones in my car. No problems so far and they both look like they have been there a long time! Just keep the screw drive oiled (not greased) and grease the window channels (not oil). biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Just cut the door beam out if you want to lighten the door.

Root Werks- sounds like you and Dave Hunt should run a company together!

Geoff
tracks914
Last year I bought 2 newer regulators and tried to fit them in my old doors. Before I drilled any holes, I got a good working set of old regulators (after listening to Andy about 18 months ago) and put them in instead.
I have had no problems or regrets.
Do you want to have my new regulators(74 I believe)? I'll never use them and you can have them free. Just pay shipping.
Red-Beard
I put late style 73 doors on mine. I wanted the door beam. I have fears that I will do to cars what Slits does...

How much was the bill from the CA DOT to repair the concrete barrier? cool_shades.gif

Besides...I could lose weight, if I want to make the car faster. boldblue.gif
JoeSharpOld
I just last week put a late regulator in an early door, and it works fine. It bolted right in with no mods and adjusted right up.
Joe
dinomium
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 26 2004, 07:09 PM)
Just cut the door beam out if you want to lighten the door.

Root Werks- sounds like you and Dave Hunt should run a company together!

Geoff

Now that was FUNNY!

I have lots of doors from different years...
Trekkor
I like the Doors greatest hits. rock_band.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.