Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
uberdan
My Distributor drive shaft was removed. Not exactly sure where to line it up with TDC...Should it be pointing at the notch in distributor? or somewhere else.
Lawrence
Hi, and welcome to the BBS!

Yes, the rotor should be pointing at the notch in the distributor. Be sure the engine is rotated to TDC #1.

hope this helps,
Rusty
Bleyseng
Hopefully you didn't lose the washer when you pulled the drive shaft out. Make sure to reinstall the washer. The drive shaft must be install with the engine at #1TDC!!
Geoff
Dave_Darling
Haynes has an illustration of where the notch in the top of the driveshaft should be pointing when cylinder #1 is at TDC. (Verify that it is by checking that the notch in the flywheel is up top; you can see it through the notch in the tranny bellhousing with the aid of mirrors and a flashlight. Then check that both rocker arms on #1 are loose.)

I recall that the notch is supposed to be 12 degrees to the left (CCW) of fore-and-aft. Note that the driveshaft twists when you put it in as it engages the helical teeth on the drive gear.

--DD
uberdan
Ok. thanks, I got everything in (including the shaft washer) and the engine is trying to idle, so now I need to rotate the whole distributor to adjust the timing?
Aaron Cox
i think that would do it! i did that on mine.....works graet!
Bleyseng
First, get your self a timing light.
Second, set the car up to static time it. Set the engine to #1 TDC, pop off the cap,turn on key, rotate the dizzy until in snaps (sparks). turn off key, Reset cap.
Third, hook up timing light, start car and hold revs at 3500rpm. Shine timing lite thru access plug hole so you can see the timing marks on the fan. Look closely, rotate the dizzy so the 27 degree mark (with the timing light shinning on it) is in line with the V while the engine is still at 3500rpms. ( a helper is great for this job)
Four, turn off motor and tighten the locking nut on the dizzy without turning it!
Done
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.