Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels under AA Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stuttgart46
Getting close to installing my AA Steel Flares and I was wondering what you guys have installed for wheels and tires underneath them.
I would love to see some pics and specs if you're willing to share.
Thanks,
Chad
bulitt
Quite a few threads on this. Use the search button.
Here is one for you to look at-
wheel thread
jfort
front wheels: 7x16, tires Hankook 225/45
74mm studs, 21mm 944 spacer

rear wheels 8x16, tires Hankook 245/45
tomeric914
agree.gif

225/55R16 front on 7x16 Fuchs with 8mm spacers

245/50R16 back on 8x16 Fuchs with no spacers

Fuchs are 911 offset

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1478018
ConeDodger
It looks to me like you could put 8X16 up front. I put 7X16 up front and I have lots of room. Harvey Weidman has offered to widen my front wheels and I believe that Harvey knows EXACTLY what will fit. My rear wheels are custom made 8.5X16 wheels and while they would have been perfect on a set of factory flares, the AA flares required some Original Customs magic to make them work as the AA flares have more of a flange on them.

I'm on my iPad now but I will post a picture of mine with the custom Weidman RSR finish wheels when I get a chance to edit...
stuttgart46
Thanks guys.
I ran a square set up on my old race car, all 4 8x15's. They were FG flares though. I was curious to see if anybody had done this with the AA steel flares.
GeorgeRud
The AA flares are nicely made, and they do deserve kudos for making these available.

With any installation of flares, be sure to have the wheel/tire combination that you intend to use on the car when the flares are being fitted as good body men can tweak things to fit. It's a bit of skill and a bit of magic to see how these body magicians can make things fit beautifully!
ConeDodger
There, I added pictures. In the middle one, at 10 O'clock on the rear wheel, you can see where McMark modified the AA flare to accommodate the 8.5X16 rear wheel. Mark speculated that if this had been a factory flare it would have fit like a glove because the factory flare doesn't have quite the flange the AA flares have.

Now look at the bottom left picture, this is a 7X16 911 offset wheel. I am using the stock 4 lug front suspension, albeit with many modifications to make it handle but the point is that there seems to be room for an 8X16 wheel.
gothspeed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 7 2012, 08:58 AM) *

There, I added pictures. In the middle one, at 10 O'clock on the rear wheel, you can see where McMark modified the AA flare to accommodate the 8.5X16 rear wheel. Mark speculated that if this had been a factory flare it would have fit like a glove because the factory flare doesn't have quite the flange the AA flares have.

Now look at the bottom left picture, this is a 7X16 911 offset wheel. I am using the stock 4 lug front suspension, albeit with many modifications to make it handle but the point is that there seems to be room for an 8X16 wheel.

I always like looking at those pics of your flared teener ......... that trim mod on the inside lip, looks just as it is done on the factory non-flared cars smile.gif ............. was this mod done only to the rear or also the front?
tomeric914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Sep 7 2012, 06:45 PM) *

I always like looking at those pics of your flared teener ......... that trim mod on the inside lip, looks just it is done on the factory non-flared cars smile.gif ............. was this mod done only to the rear or also the front?

Here's mine

IPB Image

For factory non-flared cars, it was only done to the rear. The front is rolled.

I'm in the same camp with ConeDodger in that I don't think a wider tire or wider spacers would fit up front without rubbing. Once in a while, if I crank the wheel while backing up, the front tire will grab the fat fender lip and pull it down.
gothspeed
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 7 2012, 04:13 PM) *

Here's mine .............................................
For factory non-flared cars, it was only done to the rear. The front is rolled.

I'm in the same camp with ConeDodger in that I don't think a wider tire or wider spacers would fit up front without rubbing. Once in a while, if I crank the wheel while backing up, the front tire will grab the fat fender lip and pull it down.

Great info Tomeric smile.gif! ......... looks like I will be trimming both front and rear flares ........ I tried rolling one of them but the metal was too thick .... it would not go down without affecting the shape of the flare ............. thanks again for the picture!!
Trekkor
I run 8's and 10's under my FG flares.

IPB Image

KT
benalishhero
Speaking of flares. I ran into someone the other day from Germany who claims he owned a 1974 2.0 with rear flares from the factory. Did these exist? He said he imported it to the states, which he sold back in the early nineties. Did any non GT cars come with flares?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Sep 12 2012, 01:59 PM) *

Speaking of flares. I ran into someone the other day from Germany who claims he owned a 1974 2.0 with rear flares from the factory. Did these exist? He said he imported it to the states, which he sold back in the early nineties. Did any non GT cars come with flares?

Well, you could special order colors... But, I doubt it. More likely installed by a dealership or independent body shop...
RON S.
Mine are AA flares I put on back in 2007 during the 1st group buy.

On mine I widened the rears 2'' per side to allow me to run 18x10's on the back.

5 years on now, no problems at all...

The AA flares are a really good reproduction. Hat's off to George thumb3d.gif for sticking it out so long to get the product right. He hit the bullseye on that one.

Ron
gothspeed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 7 2012, 08:58 AM) *

looks freakin great!!! ......... is that wideneing service expensive? I like how your wheels look like the 8x15 but are 16s .. smile.gif

what tire profile/sizes are you running front and rear?
RON S.

looks freakin great!!! ......... is that wideneing service expensive? I like how your look like the 8x15 but are 16s .. smile.gif

You can pay someone to do the widening, but I did it myself...

I paid me...

Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.