Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need an Opinion or Tip?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
Recently, tested my dizzy for sparks by taking out a spark plug, plugging in an old plug have it grounded, and cranked over to test for a spark. Tested on all 4 wires, nothing, well actually every other crank there's a weak spark. My cousin suggests i'd replace the dizzy. I've looked asked two places for prices:

Bosch : $95 w/ core exchange from The Source Autoparts in Pasadena, CA
Wells / Beck & Arnley: $60 or $75 + 20% employee discount @ FLAPS (autozone)

Which one? Or is the dizzy just a bit far advanced/retarded?
MattR
Everything was running before his battery fell on top of his dizzy, people.

Daniel, ONLY get Bosch, if you decide you want a new dizzy.

And this is an L Jet 1.8.
dlo914
GO BACK TO STUDYING!!! laugh.gif haha jks...but yea... had my cousin test it yesterday...and was planning to do the timing and did some thinking while showering (think well in the shower) and thought hmm cant do timing if the car isnt running laugh.gif
dlo914
what procedures should i take before taking out the dizzy? mark where the rotor is pointed at on the dizzy or somewhere on the engine? what else is there? boldblue.gif
dlo914
o yea forgot one thing it's a rebuilt Bosch dizzy.
lapuwali
Test your coil first. Put a spark plug into the coil -> distributor cable (the big one in the center), ground that, and see if you get a spark. If you do, then it's your rotor or cap (replace both, they're cheap). It you don't, then it may be the coil, or it may be the points or condensor. Test to see if the points actually make and break a connection using a test light or a meter. If you suspect the coil or the condensor, replace them (again, they're cheap, and testing either of them is difficult w/o special tools).

Distributors are pretty simple devices, and it's pretty hard to make them not work w/o it being very obvious (rotor doesn't turn, etc). Points and condensor can and will fail regularly, and need regular replacing, which isn't much of a problem considering they're like $10-15. If you don't want the points hassle, splurge $80-100 on a Pertronix and eliminate both. Coils can fail, though it's not all that common.
SLITS
If you need a stocker - used - I have one in Riverside you can try. I doubt that the dizzzy is the problem.
dlo914
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Oct 26 2004, 02:06 PM)
Test your coil first. Put a spark plug into the coil -> distributor cable (the big one in the center), ground that, and see if you get a spark. If you do, then it's your rotor or cap (replace both, they're cheap). It you don't, then it may be the coil, or it may be the points or condensor. Test to see if the points actually make and break a connection using a test light or a meter. If you suspect the coil or the condensor, replace them (again, they're cheap, and testing either of them is difficult w/o special tools).

Distributors are pretty simple devices, and it's pretty hard to make them not work w/o it being very obvious (rotor doesn't turn, etc). Points and condensor can and will fail regularly, and need regular replacing, which isn't much of a problem considering they're like $10-15. If you don't want the points hassle, splurge $80-100 on a Pertronix and eliminate both. Coils can fail, though it's not all that common.

tested the coil at FLAPS it was running a few ohms too high so i just bought one at the FLAPS for the time being. the rotor rotates. the cap, rotor, wires, n plugs are all new. all of them except the wires are made by Bosch. Ive also replaced the old battery. ive checked the points (0.016) confused24.gif iono what else could be wrong confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.