Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank resealing/ child labor laws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
My 10 yo helped me clean the inside of the tank. I had a lightly rusted area about 2"x 2" that came off easily. Should I coat this tank or just leave it bare?
Harpo
Now I can see why you needed a 10 year old. You could use the POR 15 material.

DAvid
Krieger
I've waited 10 years to have the tank cleaned. biggrin.gif But the question is should I? If I don't will it get rusty? Are today's fuels going to rust it out?
toolguy
Best way to remove rust from a gas tank/ / / Go to home depot. . In the cement section they have a gallon jug of cement etching acid. it's around $12= green color if I remember correctly. . . . it's really phosphoric acid. . . mix it 2:1 with water, , slosh it around in the tank for 20 - 30 minutes. . it will convert the rust and clean everything else bright steel. . rinse with baking soda and water to neutralize. .
if the rust is heavy. throw in a hand full of small screws and washers. . shake the hell out of it. . . I made a sling from a tree to support the tank, and all you have to do is rock it around. .

the only prerequisite is that the tank needs to be substantially good meaning not almost eaten through from the rust. . and then you need to figure out how to dispose of the waste. .
McMark
I don't have a big problem with leaving it.
mepstein
QUOTE(toolguy @ Sep 9 2012, 07:33 PM) *

Best way to remove rust from a gas tank/ / / Go to home depot. . In the cement section they have a gallon jug of cement etching acid. it's around $12= green color if I remember correctly. . . . it's really phosphoric acid. . . mix it 2:1 with water, , slosh it around in the tank for 20 - 30 minutes. . it will convert the rust and clean everything else bright steel. . rinse with baking soda and water to neutralize. .
if the rust is heavy. throw in a hand full of small screws and washers. . shake the hell out of it. . . I made a sling from a tree to support the tank, and all you have to do is rock it around. .

the only prerequisite is that the tank needs to be substantially good meaning not almost eaten through from the rust. . and then you need to figure out how to dispose of the waste. .

Add lots of baking soda to the waste and your good to go. Neutral PH will not harm (most) anything.
worn
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 9 2012, 12:37 PM) *

My 10 yo helped me clean the inside of the tank. I had a lightly rusted area about 2"x 2" that came off easily. Should I coat this tank or just leave it bare?

Here is what I do. The tank in the photo is for a TR6, but I did the same for a badly rusted 914 tank. I used evaporust for a week at about 100 degrees F, and then a couple of days with a mix of nuts, bolts, chain and WD-40 cycling around in this contraption. Shafts tack welded to flange on tank. LOUD. happy11.gif Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 12 2012, 12:41 PM) *

Here is what I do. The tank in the photo is for a TR6, but I did the same for a badly rusted 914 tank. I used evaporust for a week at about 100 degrees F, and then a couple of days with a mix of nuts, bolts, chain and WD-40 cycling around in this contraption. Shafts tack welded to flange on tank. LOUD. happy11.gif Click to view attachment

And when you're not cleaning a tank with it, you can roast a pig or something. av-943.gif Yankee ingenuity at it's best.
Krieger
Is there a good rattle can paint for the outside of the tank that won't get screwed up if I accidently get gas on it? I had a recommendation from a paint shop for the VHT product for its chemical resistance.
Lennies914
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 9 2012, 04:33 PM) *

I don't have a big problem with leaving it.

agree.gif
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 12 2012, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Sep 12 2012, 12:41 PM) *

And when you're not cleaning a tank with it, you can roast a pig or something. av-943.gif Yankee ingenuity at it's best.

I see some design flaws for its use as a pig roaster! happy11.gif
SW
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 13 2012, 07:44 PM) *

Is there a good rattle can paint for the outside of the tank that won't get screwed up if I accidently get gas on it? I had a recommendation from a paint shop for the VHT product for its chemical resistance.

WolfsburgWest Gray/Black L43. Hard as nails & a near perfect match to ealy tanks.

I took mine down to bare netal & used liberal coats of primer, block sanded with 1000 grit - 2 coats. The L43 took to it like glue. Three coats, 1000 grit each, followed by wet sanding with 2000 grit, and high quality wax (I used Zynol). Came out perfectly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.