Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 1st AX yesterday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ww914
So, a bunch of us show up a bit late for my first AX. I had time to walk the course, but not enough time to study the lines. My first thought was to just stay on the course and not get lost or go the wrong way on a circle turn. They flipped a coin to see which group would go first. Dam, it was the blue group, which I had been assigned. I really wanted to watch others first. They asked if I would like an instructor and I said "Hell Yes", if for no other reason than having a navigator. He rode with me for the first 3 or 4 runs. It was well worth it. During the course of the day, I reduce my time by about 8 seconds. My goal was met, I didn't spin out and I didn't hit any cones on course and I got faster. Well, after the finish line on one run, I misjudged the stopping distance and kiss a couple at the end. What fun. I can't wait to do it again.
Sorry no photos, too dam busy driving or working.
URY914
If you can get faster as the day goes on and not get lost at the same time, you done goood! biggrin.gif
Woody
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 10 2012, 09:57 AM) *

If you can get faster as the day goes on and not get lost at the same time, you done goood! biggrin.gif

agree.gif Welcome to the addiction. Its a slippery slope from here on. popcorn[1].gif
pcar916
Excellent!!!
ConeDodger
I admire your enthusiasm... I did my (probably) 999th and 1000'th autocross this weekend. I got sunburned in spite of sunblock, it was 95 degrees at the peak of the day, both days drivers meetings were scheduled for 8am and took place at 9:15. I got a total of 14 minutes of driving time and all I could think of was the 3 hours of track time I could have had... But I felt EXACTLY the same as you when I started... biggrin.gif Have a ball!
Randal
QUOTE(ww914 @ Sep 10 2012, 07:35 AM) *

So, a bunch of us show up a bit late for my first AX. I had time to walk the course, but not enough time to study the lines. My first thought was to just stay on the course and not get lost or go the wrong way on a circle turn. They flipped a coin to see which group would go first. Dam, it was the blue group, which I had been assigned. I really wanted to watch others first. They asked if I would like an instructor and I said "Hell Yes", if for no other reason than having a navigator. He rode with me for the first 3 or 4 runs. It was well worth it. During the course of the day, I reduce my time by about 8 seconds. My goal was met, I didn't spin out and I didn't hit any cones on course and I got faster. Well, after the finish line on one run, I misjudged the stopping distance and kiss a couple at the end. What fun. I can't wait to do it again.

Did you run at the Marina? Glad you had a fun day.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 10 2012, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 10 2012, 09:57 AM) *

agree.gif Welcome to the addiction. Its a slippery slope from here on. popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif Welcome to the madness.
ww914
Did you run at the Marina? Glad you had a fun day.

Randal - Yes, I ran at Marina. Is this you?

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
That's Randal! biggrin.gif
McMark
Glad to hear Warren. I gotta get my turbo onto this 1.7 and we'll face off. laugh.gif
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 10 2012, 06:59 PM) *

That was the big left hand sweeper they built into the course. Great big corner with a decreasing radius towards the end.

Looking at that picture needed a bit more front bar dialed in, or more shock rebound in both the front and back. Way soft!
BMXerror
Welcome to the madness! I remember my first one. I was literally dreaming about autocross for two weeks afterwards.
Mark D.
Woody
Yup. You're screwed. lol-2.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 11 2012, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 10 2012, 06:59 PM) *

That was the big left hand sweeper they built into the course. Great big corner with a decreasing radius towards the end.

Looking at that picture needed a bit more front bar dialed in, or more shock rebound in both the front and back. Way soft!

Looks to me like your splitter is bent biggrin.gif....at least not parallel to the fender tops . I never adjusted suspension due to a photo.....guess I was missing out, eh?
6freak
QUOTE(ww914 @ Sep 10 2012, 06:35 AM) *

If you didnt spin out your not driving hard enough!.JMO.. driving.gif Glad you had a good time,now your hooked
smile.gif
Randal

Find the fastest guy at your event that is also an instructor.

Take a ride with him, then have him ride with you.

Listen to what he/she says about your technique.

Do autox's or at least a year before changing anything on your car.

Secure the basics of driving. smilie_pokal.gif
ww914
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 8 2012, 08:42 PM) *

Randal - Excellent advice - The only thing I have done, other than replacing stock brake stuff and Marks new 2270, is I added a 19mm Tarret front sway bar. Seems to help but I am not sure what my car needs at this point, other than a more experienced driver. A friend of mine wanted to put cameras on my car at my 3rd AX. I was a little apprehensive with the idea of showing what a crappy driver I am, but said what the heck. Here I am, with all my mistakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXFM32TLXrY
Jgilliam914
Loved watching a rookie. I am sure the first time I did it I made more mistakes than you. Do not worry about beating others for awhile just learn how your times are getting better and getting closer to the seasoned veterans. When you are new people love to give you advice but as soon as you start to challenge them many will quit giving you advice driving.gif
Randal
QUOTE(ww914 @ Dec 10 2012, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 8 2012, 08:42 PM) *

Randal - Excellent advice - The only thing I have done, other than replacing stock brake stuff and Marks new 2270, is I added a 19mm Tarret front sway bar. Seems to help but I am not sure what my car needs at this point, other than a more experienced driver. A friend of mine wanted to put cameras on my car at my 3rd AX. I was a little apprehensive with the idea of showing what a crappy driver I am, but said what the heck. Here I am, with all my mistakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXFM32TLXrY

Fun to watch your progress in the video!

That little motor of yours really scoots. Like it.

IMHO there were a bunch of places where you could have been in third gear, i.e., going faster. You have a nice torquie motor so take advantage of it.

Also good to learn how to shuffle your hands so that your hands are parallel to the ground when you're in the middle of a corner. Huge control difference as you can carefully add or subtract to the input much easier than when your hands are crossed up.

BTW your lines were good, especially for a beginner autoxer.

Where was that event? Huge venue.
ww914

IMHO there were a bunch of places where you could have been in third gear, i.e., going faster. You have a nice torquie motor so take advantage of it.

Also good to learn how to shuffle your hands so that your hands are parallel to the ground when you're in the middle of a corner. Huge control difference as you can carefully add or subtract to the input much easier than when your hands are crossed up.

Dave
I totally agree with you about third gear. I think on the last run of the video, I used it. There were 3 or 4 more runs that day that didn't get on tape, but they weren't much better as far as times go as this old fart was getting tired.

The AX was at the Santa Maria Airport on the Porsche Test Track that was used to show off the new 991s. I think they plan on two more this year. Come on down.
ConeDodger
What tires are you using Warren? Speed up! A 2270 with a narrow body and tires that aren't DOT-R should be one heck of a handful to drive. Your lines are pretty good though... Congrats! McMark builds one heck of a motor... He has parts for another 2270 on the shelf too! biggrin.gif
ww914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 10 2012, 12:32 PM) *

What tires are you using Warren? Speed up! A 2270 with a narrow body and tires that aren't DOT-R should be one heck of a handful to drive. Your lines are pretty good though... Congrats! McMark builds one heck of a motor... He has parts for another 2270 on the shelf too! biggrin.gif

The tires are Falken Ziex and you're right, the way the car is set up now, it is a handful to drive. Fun, but not fast as I feel I am losing speed "drifting" around the corners. A lot of that may be me though. Do you recommend a tire?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ww914 @ Dec 10 2012, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 10 2012, 12:32 PM) *

The tires are Falken Ziex and you're right, the way the car is set up now, it is a handful to drive. Fun, but not fast as I feel I am losing speed "drifting" around the corners. A lot of that may be me though. Do you recommend a tire?

I'd like to say Hoosier A6 but you have to tug out the narrow body fenders in most cases with them. They are wider size for size than other R rated tires. Kumho V710 is another good tire but in 205 50X15 I still had to pull on my fenders in the rear. There are other good R rated tires but I will reserve comment on them for someone else. I have no experience with them. I have used Yokohama A048 R tires though and they were very good...

Be advised, my experience with these tires and a narrow body car was with 5 lug conversion. YMMV...
Woody
This is a good place to start if you have another set of rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=Ventus+Z214

If you don't have a spare set then get these

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...rt+Z1+Star+Spec
Randal
QUOTE(ww914 @ Dec 10 2012, 10:31 AM) *

Dave
I totally agree with you about third gear. I think on the last run of the video, I used it. There were 3 or 4 more runs that day that didn't get on tape, but they weren't much better as far as times go as this old fart was getting tired.

The AX was at the Santa Maria Airport on the Porsche Test Track that was used to show off the new 991s. I think they plan on two more this year. Come on down.

Best advice I ever got was to leave the car alone for one year and just get seat time. Unless the tires are corded just stay out there getting seat time.
Joe Ricard
had to snicker at your search for 1st gear. Oh how I used to love 914's.

Don't miss them much any more.

ww914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 29 2012, 06:31 AM) *

had to snicker at your search for 1st gear. Oh how I used to love 914's.

Don't miss them much any more.

Did you also snicker when I couldn't find other gears? I need more seat time. That video is a great learning tool for me.
Sawfish
At the risk of being repetitive I will share the most valuable advice I got as a new driver. Drive the car as it is for a while get as fast as you can on the current tires until they are heat cycled out. Learn to be smooth and fast on tires that are hard as stone. That experience will prove invaluable later, Attend your PCA performance driving school it is worth 2 seconds.
Your hooked, I dream about autocross all the time. I was hooked halfway through the first lap. I think its really important to find an instructor/s you gel with and take different things from each. I've had some that taught me a great deal about racing theory and vehicle physics and others that taught me how to get another 1/2 second off a specific track. Everyone brings something different to the table & all bring a passion for driving. Your 914 can be a real giant killer I have seen 914 get TToD in San Diego on more than one occasion. Its all about the nut behind the wheel as the mantra goes.
Looking good out there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.