Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrobin
hi
after 30 years of playing with british cars, i made the plunge and recently purchased
a 914. makes me feel right at home, as it leeks oil just like my old brit cars.
the question i have is why do parts cost so much more than for old british cars ?
(pardon me if this question has been asked a million times).
tks.
bob91403
British car market, importation and production has always been rather limited. Great Britton is not a very large country. Not as much demand or production, higher prices. Pretty simple. Bently, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, a pretty select market. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ford the biggest seller in England? The brits just haven't been interested in marketing to the masses. Or, the manufacturers that have, could not compete with the world market, and have gone bankrupt. Again making parts harder to find and higher priced.
Rusty
A belated welcome... and congrats on jumping in!!

Why do the parts for our cars cost more? Well, IMHO, two reasons.

1. Because they can. Market forces dominate, and Porsche owners are perceived as "wealthy" lol2.gif
2. Some parts are expensive because we've exhausted (or very close to wiping out) the existing supply. Again - supply and demand.

The latter is especially true regarding 914-6 specific parts.

-Lawrence
VegasRacer
QUOTE(mrobin @ Oct 27 2004, 04:16 AM)
why do parts cost so much more than for old british cars ?

Because we use Bosch parts that work instead of Lucas. laugh.gif

Welcome to the club. smilie_flagge6.gif
tod914
Because we use Bosch parts that work instead of Lucas

If the parts were so good, then why is this board so active? Welcome.
skline
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 27 2004, 06:33 AM)
Because we use Bosch parts that work instead of Lucas

If the parts were so good, then why is this board so active? Welcome.

Because a lot of us do not know how to put them in correctly and we all like to talk about it. Welcome to the club. Not all of us use Bosche parts, I for one, use GM parts because of availability.
Jeroen
QUOTE(mrobin @ Oct 27 2004, 01:16 PM)
after 30 years of playing with british cars, i made the plunge and recently purchased
a 914.  makes me feel right at home, as it leeks oil just like my old brit cars.

Yeah, but you don't have to retorque every nut and bolt every other week on a Porsche biggrin.gif
The oil leaks on these cars can actually be fixed too!
And no more evil games from Lucas, the prince of darkness.
The 914 will rust just as bad as an English car though... sad.gif

In short, the 914 is best of both worlds... English roadster fun with German engineering smilie_pokal.gif
So welcome aboard and have fun!

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.