Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cigarette Lighter used as accessory charger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jersey914
Does anybody know if I can use the 914 cigarette lighter as a plug for an accessory charger ie. cell phone. My Cigarette lighter and assembly are dead and before go pulling the trigger on a new one, I wanted to make sure. If it doesn't work for charghing, does anybody know where I can get a nice substitute accessory assembly that will fit nicely and not look 21st century...lol

headbang.gif
monkeyboy
I use mine to do just that. It seems it's a tad bit oversized for the charger, but it fits and charges.
Drums66
....I've used it for -air comp, cell phone charger idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif
jersey914
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Sep 11 2012, 04:23 PM) *

I use mine to do just that. It seems it's a tad bit oversized for the charger, but it fits and charges.

piratenanner.gif
jersey914
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 11 2012, 04:28 PM) *

....I've used it for -air comp, cell phone charger idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif

aktion035.gif
gollygwagen
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Sep 11 2012, 02:15 PM) *

Does anybody know if I can use the 914 cigarette lighter as a plug for an accessory charger ie. cell phone. My Cigarette lighter and assembly are dead and before go pulling the trigger on a new one, I wanted to make sure. If it doesn't work for charghing, does anybody know where I can get a nice substitute accessory assembly that will fit nicely and not look 21st century...lol

headbang.gif

Mine will heat the cigarette lighter, but it won't power the cell phone adapter either. I remember my old Mercedes was that was and figured this was more of the same. Reading the replies maybe there is something wrong with mine.
Valy
The 914 lighter is a bit larger than the standard modern ones. For this reason, some lighter plugs will not make good contact.

I've seen some comment some time ago that the new lighter sockets will fit inside the 914 lighter and can be used as the size adapter.
bembry
I use mine for a tom tom GPS. To be honest, I was pretty shocked that it worked.
SirAndy
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Sep 11 2012, 01:23 PM) *

agree.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I recommend and use aux. power sockets which I buy at Radio Shack. They fit in the existing hole in the dash with maybe a little file work, and they're meant to be used as a power source. The connectors FIT. I've installed a number of them with no comebacks.

The Cap'n
SLITS
I replaced mine with a newer one that is a more correct diameter. It powers cell, gps and lights cigarettes when I want it to.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
I did what Slits did.
$5 at FLAPS.
jersey914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 11 2012, 07:52 PM) *

agree.gif
I did what Slits did.
$5 at FLAPS.

What is FLAPS? Sorry Bro, I'm a newbie around here
SLITS
FLAPS - Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

Maybe they're not friendly where you are av-943.gif
jersey914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 11 2012, 08:12 PM) *

Maybe their not friendly where you are av-943.gif

HAHA.....that was good.....Thanks
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 11 2012, 05:12 PM) *

Friendly and quite often clueless. confused24.gif blink.gif huh.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 11 2012, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 11 2012, 05:12 PM) *

Friendly and quite often clueless. confused24.gif blink.gif huh.gif

That would be the oh so common "CLAPS" biggrin.gif
euro911
agree.gif too. The ID of the lighter socket seems to be a tad larger. I just used a small screwdriver to spread the ground tangs out a little bit on the accessory plugs (GPS & the LM-2 A/F ratio meter) to keep them from falling out.
76-914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 11 2012, 02:59 PM) *

I recommend and use aux. power sockets which I buy at Radio Shack. They fit in the existing hole in the dash with maybe a little file work, and they're meant to be used as a power source. The connectors FIT. I've installed a number of them with no comebacks.

The Cap'n

agree.gif
Eric_Shea
There are sleeves available for new style devices in old style plugs.
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 12 2012, 10:59 AM) *

Condoms?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 12 2012, 10:59 AM) *

Adding yet another layer of complexity .................

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Valentine 1's use to come with them as standard equipment. Might want to check with their accessory dept. Just slide the sleeve over the skinny plug and plug it in. Very complex. lol3.gif
r_towle
Buy a socket at Walmart.
Cut off the back and make a sleeve.
It fits perfectly into the German socket.
Now all your US charging devices will work in the socket.

Rich
jersey914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 12 2012, 09:40 PM) *

Buy a socket at Walmart.
Cut off the back and make a sleeve.
It fits perfectly into the German socket.
Now all your US charging devices will work in the socket.

Rich

pray.gif

I like this idea Rich...I really want to keep the original lighter plug in tack even if it doesn't light. I just need a port that works. This sounds like best of both worlds
r_towle
Just buy the cheap metal socket, no plastic.
Fits perfectly and solves the issue
kbrunk1
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 12 2012, 12:59 PM) *

Any idea on where to get the sleves?
monkeyboy
Is it necessary? Mine charges just fine without the sleeve. It just fits a little loose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.