Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Education required
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ned911
A bit of background. My father and I have been racing vintage 911's for about 12 years, he also has a '64 356 SC.

My wife has caught the racing bug and has decided she would like to race a 914 in vintage E-production. First thing is to find a really nice driver, start doing DE's then move to vintage and maybe PCA racing.

When looking for a good driving 914 what are the gotcha's? What is the hell hole I keep reading about in regards to rust? What are the other major issues that would indicate moving on to the next car.

Thanks,

Ned
Mike Bellis
The Hell hole is the area under the battery. Prone to rust. The longitudinal frame rails are prone to rust. Look near the jack points.

From a California perspective... If there is rust in any other place than listed above, run away. The visible rust is only 10% of what is there.

Usually the passenger jack points are places to look. Poke around under the battery look for holes in the long that lead to the passenger jack post area.

We in California, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Texas are blessed with nicer cars to start with. The East Coast guys like to restore stuff we throw away. Look in western dry states for a good car.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
brant
Do you run CVAR with the 911's?
I run a teener in vintage and make a few CVAR events from time to time

any chance your going to Hallet?

ned911
I do run CVAR. I run the #12 CP 911 and my father runs the silver #33. I'm recovering from a missed shift that resulted in some ugliness so I won't make Hallet unfortunately.

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 11 2012, 10:09 PM) *

Do you run CVAR with the 911's?
I run a teener in vintage and make a few CVAR events from time to time

any chance your going to Hallet?

brant
my experience with PCA is that you won't find it fun in a teener...

cvar and vintage is much more fun.
you should hook up with Mike Floyd or Tom, or some of the teener guys for a beer and a look-see

EP is a great class for a teener
we have some really competetive EP cars out here, and they can run in the fast end of the field for sure.

brant
messix
Inside behind seats at the firewall rusts

Get a member to go with or show you on a car
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 11 2012, 10:17 PM) *

my experience with PCA is that you won't find it fun in a teener...

cvar and vintage is much more fun.
you should hook up with Mike Floyd or Tom, or some of the teener guys for a beer and a look-see

EP is a great class for a teener
we have some really competetive EP cars out here, and they can run in the fast end of the field for sure.

brant

Good idea. Come to the MUSR and we will give you a crash course in 914 101. Or just come to the DFW area, and hang out at Wes Hildreth's shop for a Saturday afternoon. biggrin.gif
john rogers
If your wife has decided to try racing, I would suggest starting to look now and in a few months there will be 914s already set up for racing that will be a great start. This will save the $$$$$ it would cost to buy a 914, fix it, make it run, then modify it over the time of a few years to make a race car. She can always drive it slower than "designed" and learn with it.

It might be blasphemy but I would suggest a formula V as a great start as they are cheap, easy to maintain and it will give her the thrill of her life even though their top speed is something like 90 or so. Did I mention they are CHEAP! Remember she'll need helmet, fire suit, shoes, gloves, nomex under wear, etc, etc. I don't know if you have shopped for a fire suit with your wife yet, but look out, it is worse than shopping at Nordstroms!
ned911
She needs to go through DE first before she gets on a track and goes wheel to wheel, that is my requirement.

There is fantastic 914 EP race car available in San Antonio but we don't have the budget. While it's cheaper to get a pre-built car for pennies on the dollar we need to spread out the pain. We also need a fun Porsche for weekend trips and PCA events until her 911 is road ready. Starting with a good driver allows us to have a fun car and a DE car for her to get experience.

On the PCA club racing front - totally aware as my 911 was an I car with many 914's a few years back. I eventually just focused on vintage as I got tired of spec Cup Car racing. I've lobbied for many years for PCA to add a vintage class but with no luck.

QUOTE(john rogers @ Sep 11 2012, 11:55 PM) *

If your wife has decided to try racing, I would suggest starting to look now and in a few months there will be 914s already set up for racing that will be a great start. This will save the $$$$$ it would cost to buy a 914, fix it, make it run, then modify it over the time of a few years to make a race car. She can always drive it slower than "designed" and learn with it.

It might be blasphemy but I would suggest a formula V as a great start as they are cheap, easy to maintain and it will give her the thrill of her life even though their top speed is something like 90 or so. Did I mention they are CHEAP! Remember she'll need helmet, fire suit, shoes, gloves, nomex under wear, etc, etc. I don't know if you have shopped for a fire suit with your wife yet, but look out, it is worse than shopping at Nordstroms!

brant
I ran an "I" class 914 in PCA for about 9 years until I too got tired of "cup racing"

you must have a 1972 T/911 ?

most of the current pca club races have only 1 or 2 old cars show up now days. A 914 could win its class and still be last over all, lapped by the entire field, and not actually getting to race with anyone for the entire session
ned911
Yes, back then and when I started CVAR she had a T motor. Last year I put 2.2 E p's and c's, S cams and updated the FI to S specs. Love that little car.

Just came back from the body shop today, now off to the mechanic to make sure I didn't spin a bearing or bend valves on the miss shift.

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 12 2012, 06:57 PM) *

I ran an "I" class 914 in PCA for about 9 years until I too got tired of "cup racing"

you must have a 1972 T/911 ?

most of the current pca club races have only 1 or 2 old cars show up now days. A 914 could win its class and still be last over all, lapped by the entire field, and not actually getting to race with anyone for the entire session

brant
valves can be repaired
bearings shouldn't act up from a missed shift

sorry about that
its never fun.

what color is your 911?

brant
ned911
She is white and maroon. Had to take the ducktail off per rules sad.gif

IPB Image

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 12 2012, 07:43 PM) *

valves can be repaired
bearings shouldn't act up from a missed shift

sorry about that
its never fun.

what color is your 911?

brant

brant
I think I've seen your car at a event
sorry I never said hi before
nice looking car...

our stupid RMVR club out here has a chief of eligibility that allows anything... over the last 2 years you could of come here and they would probably let you have a 4 foot tall wing on it... ha.....

ned911
No problem. Next event.

We've heard all kinds of stories from RMVR - like 3.0/3.2's in the 2liter class, probably exaggerated. CVAR is massively tight on the rules.

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 14 2012, 02:17 PM) *

nice looking car...

our stupid RMVR club out here has a chief of eligibility that allows anything... over the last 2 years you could of come here and they would probably let you have a 4 foot tall wing on it... ha.....

brant
QUOTE(ned911 @ Sep 14 2012, 01:23 PM) *

No problem. Next event.

We've heard all kinds of stories from RMVR - like 3.0/3.2's in the 2liter class, probably exaggerated. CVAR is massively tight on the rules.

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 14 2012, 02:17 PM) *

nice looking car...

you can tell I'm getting old...
I think massively tight on the rules is a good thing
If I wanted to race a new car I'd go to scca
I want to race an old car, thats why I joined a vintage club
I love teeners and they don't compete with 911 cup cars...
they are great for just what they are.... old cars.

I wish you were going to be at hallet
I hope to be there next month.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.