Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting my 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tj2naz
I bought a 914 in may for 450 bucks engine and tranny included. It doesn't run but that is what I'm working towards. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I have changed the ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder does anyone have any ideas on what to do next? (the car sat in the sun for 30 years)
brant
you really might want to have a local 914 guy look at the car with you
the biggest thing that surprises new 914 owners is rust
a really rusty car is not worth fixing

I'm sorry that sounds harsh, but nearly all of us bought our first car and found out it was a mistake.... luckily, most of us went on to buy a 2nd car and become addicted...

brant
pt_700
i agree, let someone in the know help you determine if you have a good base before investing a lot of time / $$$.

once you determine you've got good bones, start by changing fluids and seals.

oh yeah, welcome to the madness!
Elliot Cannon
agree.gif Rust is the biggest issue. Although 30 years in the Tucson sun is better than 30 years in the Miami sun. laugh.gif Look under the battery tray (if it hasn't rusted away) and see if there is a rusty hole in the longitudinal channel. This area is usually refered to as the "hell hole". There are two longitudinal channels on each side of the car that make up much of the integrity of the chassis. It's not unheard of for the car to break in half because of the rusted "longs". Take off the back pad behind the seats and the sound pad on the fire wall and check for rust. Also check the back section of the rear trunk floor. In other words, check for rust EVERYWHERE. If it's not too bad the rust an be cut out sawzall-smiley.gif and new steel welded in. welder.gif It's much easier to work on the rust with the engine out and you can work on it seperately. Good luck.
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot Cannon
Take a bunch of pictures. Post them here. That way we can all laugh at all the work ahead of you. lol-2.gif Seriously though, it will be much easier for us to help if we can see exactly what you are up against. We have a lot of experienced and talented people here that have lots of good advice and will help if they can.
welcome.png
Tj2naz
The only real rust I have been able to find on the car is behind the seats. And the battery tray but other than that this car seems pretty solid. I will definitely start working on changing the fluids and posting picks! Thanks for the ideas!

Tara
ConeDodger
30 years in the Arizona sun! You're going to need an interior and a bunch of 914rubber.com seals!
brant
make sure you pull the exterior rocker panels off and look behind them at the jack points too.

Michelj13
Please post some photos!
chads74
Another 914 in Tucson! Awesome! I haven't seen one since I have been stationed there. When I get home from this deployment I would love to get together and see what kind of progress you have made.
Rockaria
If you want to take a small drive with a truck or van, to las cruces, NM (220 miles to your east right off I-10) I will give you a complete (Cleaned and needs a rebuild, all parts look excellent) 74 1.8 engine with a complete L-jet FI system and a bunch of other parts for free.

I can't give this stuff away here. These are parts from my old 914, I now have a 73 2.0 and most of this I don't need.

driving.gif
Tj2naz
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Sep 13 2012, 08:11 AM) *

If you want to take a small drive with a truck or van, to las cruces, NM (220 miles to your east right off I-10) I will give you a complete (Cleaned and needs a rebuild, all parts look excellent) 74 1.8 engine with a complete L-jet FI system and a bunch of other parts for free.

I can't give this stuff away here. These are parts from my old 914, I now have a 73 2.0 and most of this I don't need.

driving.gif

That's a pretty enticing offer! What other parts do you have?
Rockaria
QUOTE(Tj2naz @ Sep 13 2012, 06:53 PM) *

right off hand I can remember an extra Distributor, various 75 L-Jet FI parts like Air box, harness, EGR system, cat converter, ECU. I have misc gauges, an extra dash (well cracked though) good for restoring. I have set of steel rims (7x15 I think) I have a bunch of plastic tubs just filled with stuff I can't remeber. Mostly 74-75 1.8 parts. Oh yeah, and extra steering wheel and a 911 carerra wheel set up for a 914 (I might keep that one)

Selling and shipping would be more of a hastel than just giving it all away.

But one deal (you have to take the engine to get any other parts.) sunglasses.gif

I can get photos this weekend if you like.
Tj2naz
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Sep 13 2012, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Tj2naz @ Sep 13 2012, 06:53 PM) *

right off hand I can remember an extra Distributor, various 75 L-Jet FI parts like Air box, harness, EGR system, cat converter, ECU. I have misc gauges, an extra dash (well cracked though) good for restoring. I have set of steel rims (7x15 I think) I have a bunch of plastic tubs just filled with stuff I can't remeber. Mostly 74-75 1.8 parts. Oh yeah, and extra steering wheel and a 911 carerra wheel set up for a 914 (I might keep that one)

Selling and shipping would be more of a hastel than just giving it all away.

But one deal (you have to take the engine to get any other parts.) sunglasses.gif

I can get photos this weekend if you like.

Pictures would be awesome. No rush tho.. Any time within the next week or two would be good. Just gotta make sure the trip is worth it which it sounds like it is sunglasses.gif
stugray
These guys are close to you and kind of know what they are doing ;-)

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/

Stu
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Rockaria
QUOTE(Tj2naz @ Sep 16 2012, 06:56 PM) *

Pictures would be awesome. No rush tho.. Any time within the next week or two would be good. Just gotta make sure the trip is worth it which it sounds like it is sunglasses.gif

Here are the pictures:
Click to view attachment
http://www.rockaria.net/914partsnstuff/

This is what I had out and easy to take pictures of. The engine is a 74 1.8 L-Jet and is complete (All parts, tin, FI, everything). It was from a person who upgraded to a flat 6. It looks great, but will need a complete rebuild. Rings, cam, berrings, etc. Pistons and cyls look good, but it is a great time to go bigger. No cracks anywhere and it all looks like it is straight and nice. (It is NOT ready to be run as is. The rings are bad, some missing, and a few piston cir-clip deallies are missing. It needs a good going over. In fact now that I look at the pictures, I got the heads on the wrong side. Opps!)

I have 4 of the 15x7 chrome rims. The pic has some dirt, no rust on them.

I know I have more, if you come out I will dig even deeper. No rush here. I have had this stuff a while and just thought you might like them since you are close.

Take care,
Tj2naz
Here is a quick pic of my 914.Click to view attachment
jersey914
QUOTE(Tj2naz @ Sep 17 2012, 01:59 PM) *

Here is a quick pic of my 914.Click to view attachment

It's a start! beerchug.gif
ruby914
QUOTE(Tj2naz @ Sep 12 2012, 07:32 AM) *

I bought a 914 in may for 450 bucks engine and tranny included. It doesn't run but that is what I'm working towards. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I have changed the ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder does anyone have any ideas on what to do next? (the car sat in the sun for 30 years)

Do you have gas in the tank, fuel pressure and spark at the plugs?
Check for rust in the gas tank and a clogged fuel filter.
Check vac lines.
welcome.png
Nice car.
jersey914
Nice looking from the outside but looks can be deceiving as we all know. I would take it to an expert just to get it running and then you start wrenching out once you start to blow out the engine a little

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.