Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Were all 76 models 2.0L ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
confused24.gif Are all 1976 914 2.0L cars? I know you could get a 1.8 in 75, but what about in 76? I'm going to look at a car in the next few days. The guys has no idea if it is a 2.0L.

I thought all 76's were fully loaded??? sway bars, alloy wheels, center console....yes?? confused24.gif
ConeDodger
That's what I had heard...
Tom_T
All were 2.0s mfgd in late 75 & most - if not all - were fully loaded with options to help Karmann & Porsche clear out their parts stock & sell at a higher price.

However, after all these years & even original owner personalization, dealers stealing the Fuchs 2L wheels for steelies, etc. - many are no longer fully equipped.

In Fall 75 I test drove one to help decide whether to get a new one vs. the used 3 year old 73 914-2.0 I ended up with, since monthly payments worked out close due to longer loan terms on new cars. In CA the smog really put a hit on the HP, so I was unimpressed. Every 76 on the lots that I saw back then were 2.0s & fully loaded.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
stuttgart46
My '76 is fully a loaded 2.0. If I recall they all were.
MDG
Mine is a 3.2 . . . . happy11.gif
maf914
I have a 76 2.0L and from what I recall all were 2.0L. My car was not loaded. It had no sway bars, console or alloy wheels.

A quick check of the engine should tell you what is in the car. If the intake manifold has three bolts its a 2.0L and if it has four bolts it is a 1.8. That is assuming the engine is stock and displacement hasn't been changed by changing the crankshaft or cylinders.
Drums66
.....Yes, that is what I have read! idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(MDG @ Sep 12 2012, 01:02 PM) *

If your 3.2 were beer, no one would want it ....................

The Cap'n, keepin ya humble.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 12 2012, 12:04 PM) *

I have a 76 2.0L and from what I recall all were 2.0L. My car was not loaded. It had no sway bars, console or alloy wheels.

A quick check of the engine should tell you what is in the car. If the intake manifold has three bolts its a 2.0L and if it has four bolts it is a 1.8. That is assuming the engine is stock and displacement hasn't been changed by changing the crankshaft or cylinders.

Thanks. I know how to tell a 2.0 for a 1.7 / 1.8, but the current owner doesn't know to much about these cars. He says it has alloy wheels and a center console so I assumed its a 2.0. I will find out in a few days. biggrin.gif

Hopefully it doesnt turn out to be a rusty POS, but for the right price zI will drag it home.
MDG
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 12 2012, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Sep 12 2012, 01:02 PM) *

If your 3.2 were beer, no one would want it ....................

The Cap'n, keepin ya humble.

tongue.gif
SLITS
3.2 ..... Utah
914Sixer
Rumor has it that only 2.0 cars were produced in 1976. However, I remember seeing some 1.8 in the early production run. I have had several 76 parts cars that were NOT loaded with equipment. By 1976, 914's were approaching the $8K range loaded. Not sure what the correct answer will be.
Bleyseng
From what I have seen it seems only the last 200 cars were fully loaded including mine. Yes, its been a rumor that 25 1.8L 76 cars were build but I have never seen one.
billh1963
My '76 (built 10/75) has 2.0L, vinyl sail panels, alloys, and a/c.....but no "sway bar", console, or fog lights
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.