Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Brake Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
I searched on the forum and wasn't able to find anything in relation to my symptoms. It's a bit odd. One morning I had brought the teener to work with me and set the brake, things were fine.

I released the brake and went to go park it because I forgot something, but when I went to set the parking brake, it didn't ratchet. It acted as if the button was pressed in and just went right back down.

I was a bit puzzled. I figured maybe the button was sticking, so I pressed it, moved the handle up and down a few times. Nothing.

I reached back in with my finger and could feel the little tooth that moves when it ratchets and manually moved it forward and released the handle, the car went nowhere and the brake was set. However, I have to manually do this now every time I set my brake. It won't ratchet like it should and automatically lock the tooth.

Obviously I think I'll have to take it apart, but what should I be looking for? Anyone here experienced this before?
speed metal army
Same as mine.. idea.gif confused24.gif
mepstein
Take the handle off, lube the mechanism with light weight lube, reattach lever.
76-914
agree.gif & that spring can shoot out when you remove the button to access.
corsepervita
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 13 2012, 07:31 AM) *

agree.gif & that spring can shoot out when you remove the button to access.

So i should not wear safety goggles and put my eye right there? 10-4!

Just kidding.

Thanks guys! I'll give that a try and see if that fixes it. I wondered if maybe it's something sticking. Realistically, I'm not sure the last time the mechanism was lubed, so something may be hung up in there.

Love this community.
mankowski
It sounds like the clip that holds the brake pawl against the ratchet has broken. The clip is difficult to source, but a functional replacement can be fabricated pretty easily from a small tab of bendable metal. You can bend it around the handle pivot and it will stay in place by its own tension, if you fab it to the right width.

I was able to make one that works great using the guidance from roadster fan, here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79116

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.