Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: axle questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoolAirVw
I need a bit of advice.

My customer has a kit car with what he is calling 'turbo porsche" axles. These axles are larger than the axle stubs coming out of the 901 trans he wants me to install in the kit car. I would assume the car used to have a 915 trans since the axle ends are larger than the 901 flanges.

Can 915 axle flanges be installed in a 901 to make the axles fit?

If not, would a good solution be to swap the inner joint? Would the splines be the same? This axle has 28 splines and measures slightly over 30MM.

Is the space between axle flanges similar on 915 and 901? What I'm asking is "are my axles gonna be too long or too short" with the 901 in there?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
CoolAirVw
bumptity bump bump bump???
pcar916
911 (915) flanges can be used if they are "coarse-splined" as in early 911's. I.e. I use 100mm 911 SC flanges in my car with stock 914-4 axles modified to fit the thicker CV's.

The 911 flanges can be found in two versions, 100mm (standard car) or 108mm (turbo). The 100mm flanges don't care whether they're attached to 911 or 944 CV's since both are 100mm. But the 108mm CV's are only available (that I've seen) with a 911 axle spline-count.

Fine-splined flanges can be used (in the 914 transaxle) only if the differential is modified or replaced. In fact if you order an aftermarket LSD or TBD diff, you have to specify either coarse or fine.

911 axles are too short and there is a spacer required to make them work.
Eric_Shea
Sounds like you have 108mm CVs. You just need to find some 108mm 901 (or early 915) tranny flanges. 108mm was standard until 75-76 in 911s.

Do the CVs have 6 bolt or 4 bolt? If 6 bolt (should be if they really are turbo) then you need to weld and tap the pin flanges on the 108mm tranny flange and then find the uber rare 108mm 6 bolt dust boot flange.

A dust boot flange exists in the sand world but the hole size is wrong and they will need to be machined... and they are titanium. If you go that route get the boot too. The Porsche boot does not fit. Ask me how I know aktion035.gif (hi Pete).

Call me if you want me to walk you through it. I've done it a number of times. Number is on my site.
CoolAirVw
The CV's have 6 bolts. So I'll need to weld up the dowell pin holes then tap them out for bolts?

This project has come to a grinding halt because of this. Could I just leave those two bolts out? After all the 4 bolt flanges only had 4 bolts.

This is what I've found...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-OEM-Used-9...35b&vxp=mtr
Eric_Shea
I would not install the CV with just 4 bolts and no pins.

Again, with turbo CVs its best to weld, drill and tap the pin holes.

Do you need a recommendation for a machinest?
Eric_Shea
Here's a link to a set we did for a customer:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...mp;l=85d9a87428

...and a pic:

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 1 2012, 11:07 AM) *

...and a pic:

When you get a chance, please send me my camera back! bye1.gif
CoolAirVw
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 1 2012, 01:07 PM) *

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...mp;l=85d9a87428

...and a pic:

IPB Image

Sure. or maybe I should send them to you?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2012, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 1 2012, 11:07 AM) *

...and a pic:

When you get a chance, please send me my camera back! bye1.gif

lol-2.gif rolleyes.gif shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.