Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's time but I have questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
rick 918-S
With a heavy heart I've come to terms with the fact that I need to move on. The Alien will likely hit ebay in the next 30 days. I'm putting her in the garage on 9-14 and completing some badly needed paint repairs and fixing a couple things The have worn out over time before I list her.

My question is value. I don't want to list the car for fun. I want to sell the car. I want her to say in the US. I know our economy is a little soft but this is a one of a kind car that has been driven all over the US. It is a proven platform.

So, I know this forum is reserved for "Cars for Sale" I intend on selling her with your help and I will list a price here before it goes on ebay. But I'm torn. Your suggestions are welcome but please no wise cracks. My feeling are at risk here and I'm having a real issue with this decision.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Loser_Cruiser
Sad news indeed. I met you at the medford WCR, good luck with your sale and I hope we can keep you as a member of the community.
rwilner
Rick...in terms of reference points, it seems like the upper limit for a 914 price-wise is a clean original 6, followed closely by a well-executed 6 conversion. You can check ebay, I've seen sixes go for as little as 15k for a running 2.2 up to 30k+ for a 3.2.

Your car might be in the upper range of the well-executed six...I think that's your market anyway.

I just went through a similar emotional situation selling my car. I found that despite the soft economy, there is high demand for well sorted and solid cars. I cancelled my ebay auction and shipped the car a week ago...I am still getting emails asking me if I have the car.

Yours is pretty extreme so you may need to wait for the right buyer, but my advice is to wait for that buyer!

That's my 2 cents and GLWS.
RFoulds
There are at least 3 decent 6 conversions out there for sale right now for less than $15k. Body mods detract from value unless it's extremely well done. Look at yellow zonker (I think it was) for sale for over a year. Other 914-6 GT clones with Fiberglas flares sell for significantly less than steel flared.
I don't know anything about your car other than the pics. How the 8 was mounted, how complete cooling system is, how professional install appears, what your suspension and brake mods might be, etc.
Highly modified cars are hard to sell, other than purpose built race cars, And always sell for a lot less than you put into it.
Honestly, quick sale, you are looking at $12k, waiting a year, $20k. My REAL advice is get it very presentable, documented, and then get it into an auction with real cash buyers in the house. BJ auction coming up in Vegas, mecum soon.
rick 918-S
Thanks, I've owned the car since 1993. We still have Sandy's Ravenna car that will be a high quality driver and the Raspberry car that is one of three known. So I'm not out of cars. Just the emotional attachment to this car runs really deep. I'm actually feeling kind of sick. Never thought it would be hard to sell a car.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 13 2012, 08:20 AM) *

Thanks, I've owned the car since 1993. We still have Sandy's Ravenna car that will be a high quality driver and the Raspberry car that is one of three known. So I'm not out of cars. Just the emotional attachment to this car runs really deep. I'm actually feeling kind of sick. Never thought it would be hard to sell a car.

Well then.....maybe keep her Rick!? It's a case of not only a particular car, but your work, effort, ingenuity, etc. - not to mention memories. Do you want to be one of those a few years later wishing you hadn't sold that car?

Of course this comes from a contrarian compared to most on here who hasn't sold a car since 1976, when I sold my 69 Pontiac Ventura 4dr to help buy my 73 914-2.0. So maybe I'm not the best opinion!? biggrin.gif

If you're not in dire need to sell now, IMHO you'll get a far better price if you can wait until the economy recovers + 1 year; & I agree with the auction route, although the Indy auctions may be a bit closer than AZ for you.

Of course, if you must sell now, then best of luck. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
It's time. I was thinking of BJ or Mecum as an option. I will need to research these also. But before it goes anyplace I'll price it at a special price for the 914 world guys. If I end up selling it on the bay or an action I'll get what I get.
tdgray
WOW... so sad Rick... if I had the money (whatever it is) I would snatch this up in a heartbeat.

I just don't know how to put a price on it... truely one of a kind. sad2.gif
michael7810
Rick- hope it finds a good home. Had I known I would have looked at it in Beaver. I'm not really in the hunt for another car but yours is interesting...one of a kind.
JmuRiz
I'm interested to see the price you put on it...I may be able to get my brother interested when/if it comes on market.

It all depends on selling one of my cars and freeing up space (he doesn't have a garage yet).
mepstein
"If you're not in dire need to sell now, IMHO you'll get a far better price if you can wait until the economy recovers + 1 year" - 2020 + 1?

GLWTS
Mike Bellis
Rick,

Your car is beautiful. I'm sure it will look perfect before you sell it.

A Porsche V8 by name alone should be the most desirable V8 conversion. The snobby PCA crowd would (and does I'm sure) love it. Most of those guys tolerated my Chevy V8 but didn't really like it.

The one issue you have (for me at least) is the firewall intruding into the cabin. I'm 5'-10" and I only feel comfortable with the seat all the way back. I would love to own your car but I could not drive it comfortably. By design, you preclude a tall person from driving it. I think this may play into the final sale price. You need a certain person to fit the car.

I wish you all the best and hope you can get top dollar.
Hydra
I remember this car very well, ever since the first time I saw it on the forums, and never would I have thought it would be up for sale.
It is definitely one of the best (if not the best) engine swaps I've seen over here.
I wish I could afford it right now as I would be buying it in a heartbeat...
A sad day
Good luck on your sale.
Regards
Nick
marblewan
Hi Rick, very nice car. I’m interested. Is there a build sheet or spec list I can see?
Thanks,
David
rick 918-S
QUOTE(marblewan @ Sep 14 2012, 08:31 AM) *

Hi Rick, very nice car. I’m interested. Is there a build sheet or spec list I can see?
Thanks,
David

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=7725
balljoint
ohmy.gif
Eric_Shea
Ahhhhhhhh... hey der.

I know you're a newbie but we have a few rules around here kid. Do you have a price for this thing?

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt because, you're awfully close to Canada and we know the effects a long winter can have on ya der hey? (evident by the fact that you're selling this thing).

Price? OBO?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 14 2012, 09:58 AM) *

Ahhhhhhhh... hey der.

I know you're a newbie but we have a few rules around here kid. Do you have a price for this thing?

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt because, you're awfully close to Canada and we know the effects a long winter can have on ya der hey? (evident by the fact that you're selling this thing).

Price? OBO?

Sorry Eric, I posed this here instead of the general forum thinking if I asked this same question in the garage It would be viewed as a sale ad and would be relegated to the classifieds.
Not trying to be a rule breaker just wanted to see what the guys in the know thought about pricing and market direction.

Maybe we should lock this one until I make up my mind about a price. sad.gif
tdgray
Ignore erc Rick,....hes just being a nerdo mod

Carry on sir

EdwardBlume
BS - keep the car Rick!

Btw- Ive driven this masterpiece and some lucky bloat is going to walk off with a rare piece of 914 art / fun!
Randal
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 13 2012, 08:18 AM) *

There are at least 3 decent 6 conversions out there for sale right now for less than $15k. Body mods detract from value unless it's extremely well done. Look at yellow zonker (I think it was) for sale for over a year. Other 914-6 GT clones with Fiberglas flares sell for significantly less than steel flared.
I don't know anything about your car other than the pics. How the 8 was mounted, how complete cooling system is, how professional install appears, what your suspension and brake mods might be, etc.
Highly modified cars are hard to sell, other than purpose built race cars, And always sell for a lot less than you put into it.
Honestly, quick sale, you are looking at $12k, waiting a year, $20k. My REAL advice is get it very presentable, documented, and then get it into an auction with real cash buyers in the house. BJ auction coming up in Vegas, mecum soon.

+1
Your car is beautiful and needs to be presented at an auction where people appreciate great work. Put it in an auction, with a reserve and see how it goes.
Steve
+1
I would test the waters on evil bay with a high reserve to test the waters. I have seen pretty nice 3.6 conversions sell in the mid 20's, but as others have said these are tough times and the people with the bucks are buying original sixes.
crad
I woud love to see more pictures posted of inside, outside, nooks & crannies and engine area. If possible, Thnx.
Scott S
If it makes you feel any better, if you do end up selling, you know the car will always be known as "Rick's car" - no matter what.

You are a part of 914 history -
beerchug.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Scott S @ Sep 19 2012, 03:42 PM) *

If it makes you feel any better, if you do end up selling, you know the car will always be known as "Rick's car" - no matter what.

You are a part of 914 history -
beerchug.gif

agree.gif Amen to that. The Alien is awesome. I get it though...Rick is somewhat of an artist, and this work is done. Can't be re-engineered or improved much in his eyes. Great job Rick. beerchug.gif You did that back when there was no road map or even a road for that type of conversion. We all learned a lot by watching. Thanks for the show.

Hey you should really post some video so that everyone can hear that beast running through the gears. The 928 Symphony...everyone loves that tune.

Now...dust off that Raspberry car! Let us know what you need for it!

As for value, I would think Mid-$20's but a well-done auction could bring double that. My money is on it returning to it's homeland....
carr914
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 16 2012, 08:19 PM) *

+1
I would test the waters on evil bay with a high reserve to test the waters. I have seen pretty nice 3.6 conversions sell in the mid 20's, but as others have said these are tough times and the people with the bucks are buying original sixes.

I would not do the Auction thing, because most people "won't get it".

Billinla
Please let me know when you put it on E-Bay.

BillinLa@ca.rr.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.