Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT Alpine Powerpack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Just installed 6X8 Infinity speakers in my new car, while better, they need more power Captain. Was thinking this would be perfect. Might work well for the Teeners to since it's so small.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u

Opinions?
Thanks.
rwilner
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 13 2012, 10:51 AM) *

Just installed 6X8 Infinity speakers in my new car, while better, they need more power Captain. Was thinking this would be perfect. Might work well for the Teeners to since it's so small.

Opinions?
Thanks.

I have not used this but am also interested in others' impressions of it. Crutchfield users seem to like it. However, I plan on using 2 channels for speakers and bridging the other 2 for a sub which I don't think you can do with this little guy.
underthetire
QUOTE(rwilner @ Sep 13 2012, 08:55 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 13 2012, 10:51 AM) *

Opinions?
Thanks.

I have not used this but am also interested in others' impressions of it. Crutchfield users seem to like it. However, I plan on using 2 channels for speakers and bridging the other 2 for a sub which I don't think you can do with this little guy.

There was a Youtube Vid of someone doing just that, so my guess is it would work ok.
MoveQik
I bought one thinking it would be a great solution for the 914. Easy to install, reputable name, etc. To be honest, I really can't tell a difference. I am going to get rid of it and put in a real amp. I am not looking for big sound but enough to really hear it top down on the highway.
pt_700
signal to noise ratio (background hiss / noise) looks a bit high at 82 db. seem to recall good amps are above 90 db.
Mike Bellis
Looks like a complete waste of money. With a 15A fuse, there is no way that thing puts out the rated wattage at 12V.

Basic Ohm's Law P=IxE
P= Wattage
I= Amperage
E= Voltage

15A x 12V = 180 Watts

But nothing is 100% efficient. So 180 Watts x 80% = 144 Watts (Being very generous @80%).

144 Watts peak... PEAK! multiply this by 0.707 to get RMS = 101.8 Watts.

Divide that by 4 channels and you get 25 Watts per channel.

That is the same or less that a new CD player. Why bother? Waste of money. This is basically the same amplifier circuit in any garden variety modern stereo. Not a MOSFET amp that will be worth the money.

When I managed a car stereo store, all the suits from Alpine and their American interpreter came to see me. (I even went through their "Alpine Institute of Technology") Alpine amps have no "Headroom". This is the ability to reproduce ALL frequencies at high volumes. There are built in anti clipping circuits that cut lower frequencies as the volume is turned up. Most true audiophiles like full spectrum music and not just treble.

In conclusion, most amplifiers built in the last 15 years are crap. If you want good power for little money find an old "Made In Germany Kenwood amp. Or, if you like boom, buy an old Rockford Fosgate Amp. Precision Power, Orion and many other NAME BRAND old school amps are great. Amplifiers are the only components that should be held on to. Speakers blow, radios get antiquated, a good amp can run forever.

I run a European only, old school Kenwood PS-500F, 500 Watt amp in my truck. It is Fuching awesome. I would never buy a modern amp. The really good ones will cost you $1500.

My $0.2
underthetire
I appreciate the input. What I'm trying to do is put a small amp behind the factory head unit to drive the infinitys. Just looking for 40 watts rms. don't want to change the head unit, I like the sync and steering wheel controls/Bluetooth. I believe the factory unit to be in the 15 watt range, clipping the infinitys at volume. I will look at slightly larger amps, don't want to do it twice.
monkeyboy
I'd look at the ARC Audio mini's before these. I have had good experience with the rest of their line, and these are the small ones.
ScoopLV

The radio in my '74 is not stock. And it's a POS anyway.

Option 1: Get a Blaupunkt and go for the dead-stock look. Pros -- looks "right." Cons -- $$$, and they're still the same underpowered feature-poor radios that they were 40 years ago.

Option 2: Get a somewhat decent radio to replace the POS. I see that Blaupunkt is back in business. Maybe I could get one of those? They have USB connections and AUX in for my MP3 player. That's all I'm really looking for -- AUX in and an USB. I never listen to the radio if I can help it.

Option 3: Find a cheap, dead Blaupunkt for looks, then hide a "real" amplifier in the front boot.

I'm leaning toward option #2. I just want to listen to music with the top down and be able to hear the music. Anyone got a "here's a good bang for the buck system" recommendation?
Mike Bellis
Get a new, top of the line, Blaupunkt. It should have all the latest features and maintain the "look". Piece your system together one component at a time. Buy only the best you can afford and it usually works out.
ScoopLV
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Nov 4 2012, 07:12 PM) *

Get a new, top of the line, Blaupunkt. It should have all the latest features and maintain the "look". Piece your system together one component at a time. Buy only the best you can afford and it usually works out.

Are these plug and play with the DIN plugs? (Actually, I don't know what my current radio uses for wiring. It looks like the kind of garbage someone paid $39.95 for at Kmart in 1983.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.