Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery Oil Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LevisJeanz
I have a 1975 914 that I have never seen running before. I bought it from a guy that had gotten sick of restoring it so I picked up where he left off. So finally I get it all together and put the engine in. biggrin.gif Before I try to start the engine I undid the coil and ran the starter to try and get some oil pressure. After about 10 seconds of cranking oil starts streaming down from under the oil cooler. blink.gif Its no drip, its not dumping but I think if I were to run the engine for longer than 10-15 mins the oil would be all on the floor. I have replaced the oil cooler o-rings and made sure the mating surfaces were spotless on the cooler and the engine block. I have pulled the oil cooler out completely and put compressed air through it in a bucket of water and it doesn't look like there's a leak. I am at a loss. What in the world is my problem, and how can I fix it?

WTF.gif

Also Thanks a million to those of you in this forum all your posts have helped me restore this thing immensely!

Levi
Jeffs9146
Pressure sensor on top of the back side of the engine!?
gothspeed
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 13 2012, 02:12 PM) *

+1 ......... that was what happend to mine, during break in on the engine run stand.
LevisJeanz
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Sep 13 2012, 02:46 PM) *

+1 ......... that was what happend to mine, during break in on the engine run stand.

Are you talking about this?

IPB Image
914itis
Yep . Happened to me last year . Use some plumbing thread sealer on it .
Jeffs9146
agree.gif Except what happens is the sender splits at the seam and leaks!
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Sep 13 2012, 03:46 PM) *

Me also as well... my clue was oil on the bottom of lines that ran over the sender and on the bottom of the air cleaner. Installed new sender and rubber boot and no more oil... at least not from there biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.