Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HandBrake Lever Bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bperry
After many years I'm repairing my handbrake (repairing broken pivot on handbrake stand)
and while I've not changed the hex head bolt from the way I bought the car 28 years ago,
I can't help but feel that it isn't correct or that something is missing.
There seems to be something not quite correct
in the way things fit together.
I'm wondering if the bolt should be a shoulder bolt of if I'm missing some sort of stand off
that sleeves the bolt.

Below is a bottom view of the handbrake stand with the bolt going through the ratchet.
It is loose but you can see that there is a threaded area that is inside the hole for the ratchet.
Click to view attachment

If you look at the parts diagram:
Click to view attachment

There is a hex bolt. Item #18 part number 900 075 085 02
It is listed as a "Hexagon head bolt M8x20".

Then there is item #17 part number 900 027 015 02
It is listed as "Lock ring B 8"
Is this a standoff/bushing or just a simple lock washer?

So my question what it is supposed to be there?
- A special shoulder bolt
- A M8x20 bolt with a special standoff/bushing (Is that what item #17 is?)
- A M8x20 bolt that is just cranked down with a lock washer (what was there but doesn't seem correct)

The reason I'm asking is that the hole in the ratchet seems larger than necessary given
the bolt size and it seems odd to have bare threads exposed to the ratchet. Plus the
lever seems like it would be more stable if the hole closer matched the bolt size or used
some sort of standoff/bushing.

--- bill
SLITS
From your image, it appears that someone has spaced the rachet and paul out from the body.

1.) the bolt appears to be to long ... M8X20 is 20 mm long ... it should be about 3/4" long. Toothed plate should be against the body, slipped over the boss for the bolt threads.

2.) The handle assembly is also spaced away from the body mount. It rides on a stud with a plastic bushing.

Hey, that's what I see anyway!
SLITS
I was wrong as it doesn't slip over the boss, but is certainly bolted up against it tight. It is not supposed to move; it's locked into place.

bperry
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 13 2012, 05:57 PM) *

From your image, it appears that someone has spaced the rachet and paul out from the body.

1.) the bolt appears to be to long ... M8X20 is 20 mm long ... it should be about 3/4" long. Toothed plate should be against the body, slipped over the boss for the bolt threads.

Actually the spacing is original and the bolt is the right size.
The overall design is a bit odd with what seems like a little bit of slop built into it.
(The toothed plate is not really locked in place and is allowed to rotate a few degrees)

I had the bolt loose in the earlier photo to show the threads
to show that it wasn't a shoulder bolt.
You can see in these photos that there is no additional spacing but also that there
is no washer/bushing between the bolt head and the toothed plate.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

2.) The handle assembly is also spaced away from the body mount. It rides on a stud with a plastic bushing.

Yep the handle/lever rides against the stand on a natural spacer built in to the assembly.
(Plastic bushing is currently removed - is being replaced with a new one once I refinish the handle)
Click to view attachment

My question really was about the bolt and the washer/bushing.
Is the bolt just a simple M8x20 that is fully threaded vs a shoulder bolt with a larger
diameter near the hex head to better fit the toothed plate?
(I'm now assuming it is a simple 8x20 fully threaded bolt)

In this photo, is the spacer between the bolt and the toothed plate a washer, a lock washer
or an actual bushing that slips into the toothed plate?
Click to view attachment

--- bill
SLITS
As I remember, it is a lock washer.

And the toothed plate doesn't move when tightened down.
bcheney
Just installed mine. Here is what it looks like. I lost my bolt...looked it up on the PET and found a 8x20mm sized one in my stash. Everything works fine.
bcheney
Hope the pic helped
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.