Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: no repair garage in site...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
[COLOR=green] headbang.gif i just inherited my fathers 73 2.0. i'm originally from San Jose, Ca. I relocated to Klamath Falls, Or. (southern border) and there are no repair garages for about 200 plus miles. I've been into aircooled VW's for 20 years now. I would like to do the tune-up and other repairs myself. Does anyone have any suggestions on which books to get so I can start the tune-up and valve adjustment. Also, are there any specialty tools I'll need for it. I have the space and time to do it, just not the knowledge. crest.gif
boxstr
Mike 3.2 Knox is in your area, as is Jeff 3.2 Dixon. They should piep in here and give you soem ideas.
CCLINGASFORA3.2
montoya 73 2.0
okay, is the maintenance on these as easy or comparable to air VW's?
mike_the_man
Welcome!

If you've got some basic automotive knowledge, you won't have a problem. So far, everything I've done has been pretty straight forward and simple. A Haynes manual can be pretty useful, but I've found this web site to be way more useful. If I have any questions, I just ask them here. I very rarely use my Haynes manual.

Tell us a bit about your car. Carbed, fuel injected? Any thing done to it? Pictures would be good too. We all love pictures!
dinomium
welcome, and just ask away...
montoya 73 2.0
The car is still in Ca. I'm going to let it winter in Ca. for now. It's starting to snow here. How do they drive in the snow or is that a stupid question? As far as pictures, I don't have any at the moment but i will post as soon as I get them. I don't know to much about the car except for the previous owner before my father. It was residing in Campbell, Ca. The owner was a professional skateboarder by the name of Steve Caballero. He is a close friend of a close friend of mine since the late 70's. he had it sitting in his front yard (for years) before he thought about selling it. I used to see it evertime I went there and always asked about it. he actually was going to donate it to charity if he didn't sell it, but I talked my father into buying it as he always wanted a 914. Now he's not able to keep it so I'm going to be the new owner. besides, he wanted to keep it in the family.
I have a question? How do I find out where my car was manufactured, shipped and what options it had?
boxstr
Welcome, you don't drive in snow, you slip and slide. You car was probably manufactured in Germany ,shipped to the USA and optioned with rust.
If I were you I would winter in CA. also laugh.gif
CCLINGASFORASS
Cap'n Krusty
Think of it as a late type 2 with difficult access to the valves, which need to be adjusted every 3000 miles. Same parts as a bus, including the fuel and air filters. Use W7CC or NGK B6ES plugs, and the usual electrical parts. Plug wires are different, but obtainable. Avoid Bosch plug wires, they suck. You rarely, if ever, need to replace the condenser. HTH, The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 27 2004, 01:44 PM)
The car is still in Ca. I'm going to let it winter in Ca. for now. It's starting to snow here. How do they drive in the snow or is that a stupid question? As far as pictures, I don't have any at the moment but i will post as soon as I get them. I don't know to much about the car except for the previous owner before my father. It was residing in Campbell, Ca. The owner was a professional skateboarder by the name of Steve Caballero. He is a close friend of a close friend of mine since the late 70's. he had it sitting in his front yard (for years) before he thought about selling it. I used to see it evertime I went there and always asked about it. he actually was going to donate it to charity if he didn't sell it, but I talked my father into buying it as he always wanted a 914. Now he's not able to keep it so I'm going to be the new owner. besides, he wanted to keep it in the family.
I have a question? How do I find out where my car was manufactured, shipped and what options it had?

you know steve cab?

damn
montoya 73 2.0
i tried the wintering in Ca. , summer in oregon thing but the old boss wouldn't go for it. didn't want to tele-commute. but i still get to SJ, Ca. in the winter for the holidays!

he moved to scotts valley. right by Santa Cruz. He still skates in the Santa Clara County area's. he's into street skating now.

anyways, first thing i'd like to say is please forgive for the lack of terminology i may say due to being a newbie in the world of porsche owner's. i've been on the outside looking in for alot of years and now i get to hang out on the porch with the big dog's!!!! but here goes a question; I would eventually like to put one of those rear Porsche reflector/lens across the rear between the tail lights. how does this go in? do i remove the sheetmetal? how do i run the electrics for this? it looks cool!
Rhodes71/914
Welcome to the club, nice to have another teener on the east side of the mountains. i'm just a couple of hours north oin hwy 97, Sunriver area, if you are up this way give a shout and you can check out my project. It may even be driving at the time. The way winter works around here there are plenty of days that the roads are clear and dry. As boxstr was saying there are a couple of guys on this board that live in the K-falls area.

wavey.gif
bob91403
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 28 2004, 12:59 PM)
i tried the wintering in Ca. , summer in oregon thing but the old boss wouldn't go for it. didn't want to tele-commute. but i still get to SJ, Ca. in the winter for the holidays!

he moved to scotts valley. right by Santa Cruz. He still skates in the Santa Clara County area's. he's into street skating now.

anyways, first thing i'd like to say is please forgive for the lack of terminology i may say due to being a newbie in the world of porsche owner's. i've been on the outside looking in for alot of years and now i get to hang out on the porch with the big dog's!!!! but here goes a question; I would eventually like to put one of those rear Porsche reflector/lens across the rear between the tail lights. how does this go in? do i remove the sheetmetal? how do i run the electrics for this? it looks cool!

No electrical, except for the release, it's just a reflector. Remove lock and emblems. Six mounting studs, six 12mm holes. There have been some other methods used. Leave the lock and take the two center studs off the reflector, push the reflector to open the trunk. Drill a hole in the panel to keep the lock. Take off all the studs and use two sided adhesive is my favorite, pry the panel off if your release fails, no holes to drill. If your electical release fails you need some kind of emergency release(cable through trunk floor). Stutgart46 has one for sale right now. You can put in an electical trunk release for about $25, or Engman makes a nice cable release for $120.
montoya 73 2.0
Bend, My employer has a manufacturing plant there. Jeld-Wen, I'm in the old Ben-fab building (engineering now). I'd like to see your project, that would be cool!

As for the reflector, i was thinking along the lines of some double back tape myself. i'm going to install the electric and manual release. electric for convenience and manual for emergency use. thanks for the knowledge!!! what about electric windows? is it worth installing or is it to much?
Rhodes71/914
I had a guess that Jeld-Wen was your employer. Why else move to K-falls. I used to work for Amerititle a title and escrow co. owned by Jeld-Wen. Great benefits and retirement but didn't really agree with their wage structure. Anyway if your ever up this way drop a PM, I usually check in here daily. Are you a skier or snowboarder? Mt. Bachelor is only 20min from my house.
BPGREER
Avoid Bosch plug wires, they suck.

Uh-Oh. ohmy.gif Why do Bosch Plug wires suck? That's what I have. I figured if the plugs, cap and everything else was bosch, why not? What am I missing? I did notice they seemed to be a tad short. Thanks. (don't mean to hi-jack)

Brian
bob91403
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 29 2004, 12:46 PM)
Bend, My employer has a manufacturing plant there. Jeld-Wen, I'm in the old Ben-fab building (engineering now). I'd like to see your project, that would be cool!

As for the reflector, i was thinking along the lines of some double back tape myself. i'm going to install the electric and manual release. electric for convenience and manual for emergency use. thanks for the knowledge!!! what about electric windows? is it worth installing or is it to much?

$250, too much? You decide. Chris914n6 gives them to us with free shipping. Just do a search for "window" in the post title. If you want adhesive just send me the demensions. I've got tons of it. Let you have it for the cost of shipping.
montoya 73 2.0
actually came here cause my in-laws retired here 12 years ago and there getting to the age where my wife wants to be near them. I ski, so does the wife.

thanks for the offer for adhesive., i will take you up on that when i remember to get the dimensions. thanks!

what about newer gauges. do they have digital gauges? can you even put them in? as you may guess. i want to go thru the whole car to update it. should i upgrade the brake system also? i don't by any means have deep pockets but i will divert the funds from my vw restoration fund. the car just had the electrical wiring re-done and the suspension also about two years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.