Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoky Mountain Day Drive - Oct. 20th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
poorsche914
ROUTE CHANGE 10/18/2012

Found out Waynesville will be packed with Apple Fest attendees so we have altered the route just a bit. Meeting place is the same but lunch has changed to the Nick & Nate's Pizza in SYLVA

Here is the new route:

[*]MEETING POINT: Asheville NC at Bent Creek Baptist Church on Brevard Rd (exit 33 off I-26) There is a nice, long stretch of "parking lot" at this location
[*]Begin the Drive along the Blue Ridge Pky all the way to junction of US23/Great Smoky Mtns Expy. Take US23 approx. 10 miles to Sylva.
approx. 60 miles, 2 hours
[*]Lunch in Sylva at Nick & Nate's Pizzaria
approx. 1.5 hrs
[*]Take 107 to Cashiers then 64 to Lake Toxaway area.
approx. 40 miles, 1.25 hrs
[*]Continue on 64. North on 215/Parkway headed to Canton, NC. 215 becomes 110.
approx. 50 miles, 1.5 hours
[*]END POINT in Canton. Be safe driving home.

I plan to leave Seymour around 8:00am and meet other area teeners along the way. I will be driving 411 to Sevierville and Newport; 70/25 to Hot Springs; 209 to 63 to Asheville; and 19/23/74 to 112 to the meeting point.

driving.gif

If you find WCR, RRC, MUSR, ECC, TR and many other 914 events are simply too far away to attend, then chances are you live in the Southeast. If so, make plans to attend a day drive on the twisty roads southwest of Asheville, NC on October 20th. Yeah, I know this is short notice (and is same day as ECC and Petit LeMans) but this drive originally came about when dlee (from Winston-Salem area) and I (from Knoxville area) decided to meet in the mountains this fall for a day of driving. Why not invite everybody?

Teeners from both sides of the Smokies will meet up for a day of driving.gif some of the “best” roads in the Smoky Mountains including a portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We will meet around 10:30am south of Asheville, NC to begin our mountain road journey. chowtime.gif in Waynesville at Nick & Nate's Pizzaria (take it easy on the hand crafted beers! drunk.gif ) followed by more driving.gif

Don't have a running 914? That's OK... bring whatever you have.

This is simply a get-together of like-minded people looking for a fun, safe day of driving their 914s on twisty mountain roads. No prizes, no contests, no fees; though there might be a t-shirt idea.gif

ORIGINAL ROUTE NO LONGER VALID - PLEASE SEE ROUTE ABOVE
Below is the planned drive (~130+ miles, ~4 hrs drive time, ~2 hours social time):
  • MEETING POINT: Asheville NC at Bent Creek Baptist Church on Brevard Rd (exit 33 off I-26) There is a nice, long stretch of "parking lot" at this location
  • Begin the Drive along the Blue Ridge Pky to Waynesville NC via 276
    approx. 40 miles, 1.25 hours
  • Lunch in Waynesville at Nick & Nate's Pizzaria
    approx. 1.5 hrs
  • Take 276 east to 215 south headed to Lake Toxaway
    approx. 50 miles, 1.5 hrs
  • 281/107 to Cullowhee
    approx. 30 miles, 1 hour
  • 107 to Sylva – END POINT at Jackson Plaza
    approx. 10 miles, 20 min
Googlemaps Page Showing Route

I plan to leave Seymour around 8:00am and meet other area teeners along the way. I will be driving 411 to Sevierville and Newport; 70/25 to Hot Springs; 209 to 63 to Asheville; and 19/23/74 to 112 to the meeting point.

driving.gif
Tom_T
Oddly enough, I may be in the Asheville area then visiting our daughter & hubby, but I'm not yet sure of my final schedule yet & if I'd have time to meet up for lunch &/or drive the route.

IIRC they were looking a a house FS in Waynesville area....so who knows?

I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
poorsche914
That would be AWESOME, Tom! piratenanner.gif
wingnut86
Maybe I can get BillH1963 to rent me a teener for a day?

Bill - you out there beer.gif
dlee6204
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Look at all those curves! chowtime.gif I'm stoked. driving.gif
poorsche914
Here is a marker to help put the above maps in scale...

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
wingnut86
I'll buy some large Porsche magnets for my wife's Prius biggrin.gif

I could tie one of my registered bumpers to the front hood, kind of like our local brethren do with Bambi down here...

happy11.gif
bulitt
Looking glass falls and the white squirrels in Brevard...
poorsche914
I thought of doing a waterfall tour but decided there was not enough time sad.gif
May have to do that in the spring.

driving.gif
Haudiosolutions
Steve, I know we've discussed this before but I'm in!. Sounds like a fun day of driving
poorsche914
QUOTE(Haudiosolutions @ Sep 15 2012, 06:20 AM) *
Steve, I know we've discussed this before but I'm in!. Sounds like a fun day of driving

I will see you as I pass thru Sevierville driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Sep 14 2012, 10:15 PM) *

Have the side view of a 914 printed on vinyl and plaster it to the side of the Prius. That would work happy11.gif
wingnut86
I priced that idea online last night as a joke for my wife.

Wow, I need to be in the vinyl wrap business WTF.gif

Big Bucks - No Whamys!

trojanhorsepower
I'm in if I can drive the Corolla. Too close not to come.
poorsche914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Sep 15 2012, 10:27 PM) *
I'm in if I can drive the Corolla. Too close not to come.

Are you handy with a camera? Maybe you could be the camera man out front or behind the pack confused24.gif

At any rate, will be nice to meet you.

driving.gif
trojanhorsepower
I will bring th D70 and do my best.
dlee6204
I might have an open passenger seat if you don't want to drive the Corolla.
trojanhorsepower
Thanks Doug, but I will probably have copilots.
dlee6204
Ahh... okay thumb3d.gif
rex66m
Steve -

Actually going to be up in knox that weekend, but am gonna have to miss it...will be there for the AL/TN game with my family. Looks like it's gonna be a good drive - hate to miss it.

poorsche914
Maybe next time, Rex.

Anytime you are in the area, give me a shout and maybe we can run the Dragon.

driving.gif
ezbngreen914
I may be up for some or all of this drive. Living an working out of Sautee GA now and thats pretty close to all this. driving.gif
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
914s look best at altitude!
dlee6204
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Sep 16 2012, 11:37 PM) *

I may be up for some or all of this drive. Living an working out of Sautee GA now and thats pretty close to all this. driving.gif

Come on out. The more the merrier! beerchug.gif
matt5596
If i can get my rust bucket over the mountain, I might join you.
poorsche914
Try to join us around Newport for the drive to Asheville via Hot Springs.

driving.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Sep 14 2012, 07:15 PM) *

I could tie one of my registered bumpers to the front hood, kind of like our local brethren do with Bambi down here...

happy11.gif

I hand lettered a sign that said: "Not my 914, but the box it came in!"
....& put it in the windscreen of my wife's 88 Westy for the G&R Flesh Roast & 914 Parts Swap one year. biggrin.gif

I've actually had our Westy on some of those twisties one trip back in `01-02 & it didn't handle too bad, for a tall box with 4 squirrels on tread-wheels pushing 5000 lbs. with me & 2 kids & all our stuff! driving.gif
ArtechnikA
We'll be in Gatlinburg the prior weekend, but that's as close as it gets this time 'round...
dlee6204
icon_bump.gif
dlee6204
Two weeks away!

Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Looking forward to it aktion035.gif

driving.gif
Haudiosolutions
Looking forward to it too, need to get a little drive time in before just to make sure. I havent really had the time to put many miles on it this summer.
poorsche914
With the onset of chilly weather this past weekend, I will be making sure my heating system is fully operational. I hate driving with cold feet dry.gif

driving.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Sep 16 2012, 07:43 PM) *

Click to view attachment
914s look best at altitude!

NICE pic smile.gif first.gif
dlee6204
icon_bump.gif Less than a week away! Let's hope for good weather!

driving.gif

Click to view attachment
Haudiosolutions
I will be going over the car this afternoon. Excited about the drive and so far the forecast for next weekend looks nice.
Eric_Shea
Aweeee... you guys are piss'n me off! That's one of the most beautiful drives in the entire country. sad.gif

I need one of those Star Trek transporter thingies. Beam me (and my car) out to NC Scotty! biggrin.gif
poorsche914
Eric... just fly in and I am sure we can find you a 914 to ride in aktion035.gif
Tom T will be in the area all the way from CA and is planning on meeting up with us.
This is going to be a great time whether there are just a couple of us or a dozen or more! driving.gif
dlee6204
This is going to be a great time whether there are just a couple of us or a dozen or more!

Yup, this is going to be a good time... I'm stoked. driving.gif

I have a few small things to button up on my car and it'll be good to go. I got a nasty electrical gremlin last night and so I get the pleasure of trying to chase it down. evilgrin.gif
ArtechnikA
Preview - from yesterday. Beautiful. Lots of leaves falling, next weekend should be great timing. Click to view attachment
naro914
Hey Guys,
Sorry we won't be able to make it (going to be at that Petit LeMans thing) but I think this is a great idea. Steve and I talked about it a couple months ago - we need an annual Southeast thing - as he mentioned in the original post everything else is just too far for us in the SE. And what a better way to enjoy our cars than driving the wonderful roads in that area!!

Take lots of pictures and video!!
poorsche914
Thanks for chiming in, Bob. So much going on in the Fall that every weekend conflicted with something.

Weather looks to be sunny and in the low 60s. Can't wait!!!

driving.gif
dlee6204
An event like this should definitely happen at least once a year smile.gif

driving.gif
poorsche914
Got a PM earlier from a teener in Nashville who, along with his wife, is going to make a weekend trip to the Smokies so they can join us on Saturday piratenanner.gif

driving.gif
naro914
You could call this Okteenerfest.... :-)
poorsche914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 16 2012, 04:35 PM) *
You could call this Okteenerfest.... :-)

Okteenerfest... yeah, that'll work

driving.gif
JawjaPorsche
Approximately what time do you think yall be lunching in Waynesville at Nick & Nate's Pizzaria?

Terry
dlee6204
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 16 2012, 08:22 PM) *

Approximately what time do you think yall be lunching in Waynesville at Nick & Nate's Pizzaria?

Terry

It will probably be around 12-12:15ish
westtexass2k
Those are the best roads in the country I think. My other car club goes up there every year at the end of August and tours for a few days. The roads are so much fun. We base out of Helen Ga area usually. One of our club members runs up there nearly every weekend so he knows where all the good roads are. We just follow him for a few days. Its the most fun I ever had in my car. I bet it would be a blast in the teeners too.
poorsche914
As the weekend nears, let's try to get a rough count of how many people will be attending. I suppose I should call the Pizza place and let them know a (possibly) large group will be invading their space shortly after noon smile.gif

I will be there bye1.gif

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.