Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
webrocket
HAVE A 1970 1.7 HAVE REPLACED BUSHINGS, BALLS, CUP, AND SEEMS TO NOT HAVE A FIRST GEAR OR TAKES ALOT OF PEDAL TO GET IT MOVING . APPEARS TO GO IN REVERSE AND IT APPEARS TO GO IN FIRST YET TAKES ALOT OF PEDAL MOVEMENT AND REVING TO MAKE HER GO. CAN IT BE LINKAGE, MOTOR, ANYBODY GOT A CLUE SO CAL AZUSA
toolguy
Sounds like the clutch is draging. . .
The #1 trouble is the bosen tube the clutch cable runs through is loose in the tunnel. . it has welds in 2 places that break. . . and in the last of it's life it pulls through the firewall. . . very common trouble. . . remove the shifter so you can see the tube in the tunnel. . step on the clutch and see if it moves. . there should be NO MOVEMENT of the tube.
ConeDodger
Tranny woes!!!

Oh hell no! Take it to the sandbox guys! av-943.gif

Seriously, agree.gif clutch tube broke...
webrocket
QUOTE(webrocket @ Sep 15 2012, 03:23 PM) *

HAVE A 1970 1.7 HAVE REPLACED BUSHINGS, BALLS, CUP, AND SEEMS TO NOT HAVE A FIRST GEAR OR TAKES ALOT OF PEDAL TO GET IT MOVING . APPEARS TO GO IN REVERSE AND IT APPEARS TO GO IN FIRST YET TAKES ALOT OF PEDAL MOVEMENT AND REVING TO MAKE HER GO. CAN IT BE LINKAGE, MOTOR, ANYBODY GOT A CLUE SO CAL AZUSA

when i changed out shifter bushings noticed rust throughout shifter tunnel yet did not see anything unusual about cable or housing it appears to rotate the throughout pulley smoothly
brant
when you say "alot of pedal" are you describing slipping the clutch? or a slipping clutch"

monkeyboy
Sounds like the clutch isn't fully releasing... Could well be the clutch cable tube that others are referring to.

If you want me to take a look, I'm in Hacienda Heights, I could roll by and we could diagnose it. PM me and I could go by on Sunday if that sounds good. I am free until the afternoon.
mittelmotor
It could just be a clutch adjustment issue. I had a similar thing going on with my new clutch in the break-in process...trans simply refused to go into 3rd, although other gears worked perfectly. Engine off, the linkage slid neatly into each gear. Tightened the cable a bit, and problem solved. Of course, don't tighten excessively or the clutch might not fully engage.

Very funky that it seemed to affect only that gear...
webrocket
i think i possibly described it inacurately the excessive pedal is the only way it will move, not a slipping clutch, feels like im starting in a higher gear so i must try to gas it and slip the pedal so the engine doesnt stall.
JawjaPorsche

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Sep 16 2012, 01:19 AM) *

It could just be a clutch adjustment issue. I had a similar thing going on with my new clutch in the break-in process...trans simply refused to go into 3rd, although other gears worked perfectly. Engine off, the linkage slid neatly into each gear. Tightened the cable a bit, and problem solved. Of course, don't tighten excessively or the clutch might not fully engage.

Very funky that it seemed to affect only that gear...

agree.gif
john rogers
When you said you replaced the bushings, you did not describe how you did that and you also did not say if this problem was happening BEFORE the work? Was the linkage disassembled and did you replace the firewall bushing which means you pulled the front shift rod out probably? If that is the case then the shift lever needs adjustment as per already posted instructions on here and Pelican. There is also a possibility that you did not get the cone screws in their detents and/or if you did not use new screws they might be loosening and the linkage slipping?

As for clutch engagement, it should be starting to grab at about 50% pedal movement although some like more and some like less movement before release/engagement.
Dr Evil
If reverse grinds, your clutch is too loose. Having only an issue with first and the other gears being ok is a good indication that inner stuff is crapping out. 1st needs some attention, likely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.