Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank felt spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
What are you guys using? I am missing a couple. I think I may need to go thicker than stock to keep my fat sway bar from hitting tank.
mepstein
Use something that doesn't hold water.
mittelmotor
Mine had pieces of indoor/outdoor carpeting.
Krieger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2012, 07:43 AM) *

Use something that doesn't hold water.

agree.gif
Lennies914
I use neoprene With an adhesive backing.
'73-914kid
I cut up an old wetsuit and used that. Doesnt hold water, and was the perfect thickness
laflaur
go to home depot and look at the felt kits for underneath furniture legs. they typically have a couple of largee pieces that you can cut and it wont crush like neoprene.
Krieger
I'll check out home depot's furniture felt and see what other materials are around. I do not like the idea neoprene crushing or its high friction.
porschefile2010
I followed the wet suit option although found some rubber that was similar thickness and maybe a bit denser. Didn't like the way felt holds water and can sit against a steel tank and possibly start rust areas. I also reckon rubber is a bit less abrasive than compacted felt
Drums66
.....In the late cars....rubber fitted pieces were used? idea.gif
bye1.gif
ThePaintedMan
I've often thought Mark (Mikey914) could come up with a good replacement for these. Mark, whatcha think?
Krieger
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 16 2012, 02:44 PM) *

bye1.gif

Nah...really? I think my 75 had felt. Do you want it to slip or grip. I figured the rubber end pieces are grippy and the rest slippy, otherwise with flex and movement wouldn't it tweak the tank?
kbrunk1
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 16 2012, 08:40 PM) *

bye1.gif

Nah...really? I think my 75 had felt. Do you want it to slip or grip. I figured the rubber end pieces are grippy and the rest slippy, otherwise with flex and movement wouldn't it tweak the tank?

What about A/C pipe insulation?

It comes in many thicknesses......???
Drums66
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 16 2012, 06:40 PM) *

bye1.gif

...Contest me with facts?..not
stromberg.gif if you have felt it was changed by PO
bye1.gif
Dave_Darling
There were rubber fitted pieces at the side, around the seams of the tank up near the top.

Underneath was always felt rectangles, as far as I know. I glued pieces of neoprene that I got at the hardware store in place of the indoor-outdoor carpet that a PO had put in place of the felt.

--DD
gothspeed
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 16 2012, 05:12 PM) *

I've often thought Mark (Mikey914) could come up with a good replacement for these. Mark, whatcha think?

Here is all the rubber sheet options you will ever need, shipped to your door!! Most have an adhesive backed option too smile.gif.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=jbytw7

I will be going with the super soft silicone with adhesive backing:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=jbyu85
Spoke
QUOTE(laflaur @ Sep 16 2012, 02:39 PM) *

go to home depot and look at the felt kits for underneath furniture legs. they typically have a couple of largee pieces that you can cut and it wont crush like neoprene.

agree.gif

These work out perfectly. They sell the large pads and have adhesive on the back.
Mikey914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 16 2012, 05:12 PM) *

I used sheet closed cell foam as I didn't want to trap water. You may have guess I had some scrap hanging around. You still need the side rubber pieces, but where the tank contacts the body it was a reasonable solution.

There are many sources for the foam, I could do up a "kit" but didn't see the demand as it is readily available.
-mark
saigon71
I cut down a piece of polyethelene pipe wrap from Home Depot...think it was about $1.75, glued in with 3M adhesive. Won't hold water.
stugray
Really?!? are we over thinking this?

Neoprene mouse pad.

We even put one on a spacecraft once as a "cushion" for a deployable strut (Stardust solar array support).

Stu
Harpo
I just ordered the High-Strength Multipurpose Neoprene Rubber Adhesive-Back, 3/8" Thk, 2" W, 36" L, 40A Durometer from McMaster carr. I had to buy 36 inches so I will have some extra

DAvid
Krieger
Thanks David. I decided to go with the heavy duty furniture felt. I used some rubber spacers under the felt to raise my tank up to clear the sway bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.