Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark plugs. How many uses?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
How many times can I clean and reuse a spark plug when the tip and insulator are still in good shape?

My dad reused his over and over in the DeSoto.
gothspeed
I just cleaned and gapped mine in my old toyota ......... I think this practice may be limited to the copper design plugs. The spark generally jumps from the edge of the copper tip to the side electrode and in copper, it tends to wear those edges quite quickly ..... so in my opinion, for non peak performance applications, it can be done a couple times ......... as long as the tip and the electrode are in decent shape.
rwilner
spark plugs are $2 each. Just replace them.
Katmanken
High voltage sparks like to jump from a sharp edge , not a rounded surface. Not only do the sharp edges erode from sparking, but the more you clean them, the more rounded the edges get, and the worse they work. Old piston engine planes (like the B-17) used to run 4 prong sparkplugs to ensure smooth running and reduced maintenance.

New plugs are nice and sharp, and explain why a tuneup can result in an even idle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.