Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Performance advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
00r101
So I picked up a '74 914 1.8 for track days this spring. Good cage, gutted interior, Momo fiberglass shells, fiberglass front and rear hoods. Engine is stock other than a single 2bbl downdraft. Koni singles, bars and springs. Larger brakes front and rear. Stock exhaust manifolds into stainless heat exchangers and then single straight pipe.

Two track events this year, Summit Point Shenendoah and The Glen. Had a great time. car is well sorted handling wise but needs more power (don't we all :-)

I have all fall and winter and would like 20+ more HP. Budget is limited but I want to build for the future so would like a phased approach. I am very interested in hearing your recommendations and experiences with various aftermarket carb setups, ignition setups, and exhaust. DO not have the funding this year to open up the engine so keep your ideas to bolton performance.

TIA,
Alan

mrbubblehead
dual carbs will make a big difference.
patrick3000
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Sep 16 2012, 10:34 PM) *

dual carbs will make a big difference.

X2

Also it is much cheaper to lose weight than add HP. Strip the car of everything that is not needed and put the driver on a diet over the winter.
SirAndy
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Sep 21 2012, 06:58 PM) *
Also it is much cheaper to lose weight than add HP. Strip the car of everything that is not needed and put the driver on a diet over the winter.

agree.gif

And without changing the cam, dual carbs won't get you anywhere near the +20HP you're looking for.
shades.gif
brant
Is that the 75 exausy manifold?
New carbs and new exaust. Both will help a little now and a lot in the future
piss'n914
Thats one thing that kinda sucks...is that it seems very hard to make big hp, with these engines. its not like hooking up a tuner, or CAI, catback or anything like that.
f1rocks
Better tires and suspension
Mblizzard
I have no track experience. I agree it is better and cheaper to lose weight than try to squeeze more HP out of the 1.7. I don't know if it is allowed and you have likely already done something but after removing the fuel tank recently from my car I was amazed at the weight of the thing. A smaller tank might be a way to lose weight? Just a thought.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.