Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 Gas Burner Mahle (4) bolt Wheels.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased (5) Gas Burner 4-lug Mahle Wheels from Mark @ mepstein and had them Powder Coated with a Silver Metalic paint. They look real nice pray.gif
BTY: Powder Coating cost $80.00 bucks per wheel.

My plan is to change them out for next years TC parade in MI. My Porsche Certificate says "Alloy Wheels" so why can't I subsitute Mahle for Fuchs & be factory original????? Polished Fuchs don't look factory?? unsure.gif

Tom flag.gif
mepstein
They look great. Can I have them back? biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Fuchs, Mahles, and Pedrinis are all factory alloy wheels.
Krieger
Those look really good! I see you have the tow assembly. Can you tow that without removing the stock valence?
dlee6204
Those look great!
914Sixer
Mahles were factory alloys from 74-76.
Pat Garvey
Nice!

Pricey, but nice!
TJB/914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 16 2012, 09:30 PM) *

Those look really good! I see you have the tow assembly. Can you tow that without removing the stock valence?

Krieger,
Yes, I can tow without removing the valence. The tow bar extends parallel about 12" then curves up to the trailer hitch without any issues. I also like the tow bar hookup tabs under the front bumper. Many times it saved me going up a steep driveway ramp from scraping the underside.

Tom
euro911
The Fuchs look nice, but those Mahles look great (IMO).

What brand and model tow bar tabs and tow bar is that?

idea.gif
02loftsmoor
the Brackets showing below the front valance, tie downs ???
914werke
not to nitpick but if originality is the concern Mahle's were painted not powder coated.
Id expect the judges (?) would probably be able pick that up....
The do look very nice.
Cupomeat
NICE! beerchug.gif

I think that Mahle's are the best looking of all the 4 lug alloy wheels.

MUCH better than painted Fuchs and the holes in pedrinis make them look strange.

Nicely done (but I agree that Concours judges know and see ALL and are very likely to see they are powder coated and not painted. The substitution is fine, but the finish might lose you points.)
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Sep 16 2012, 07:14 PM) *

My plan is to change them out for next years TC parade in MI. My Porsche Certificate says "Alloy Wheels" so why can't I subsitute Mahle for Fuchs & be factory original????? Polished Fuchs don't look factory?? unsure.gif

Tom flag.gif

You didn't mention what MY your 914 is. If memory serves me, the 4 bolt Mahle's were a '74 to '76 option. If your car is a '74, go for it. BTW, be prepared to be nicked for the incorrect tire profile.
Dave_Darling
His user pic shows a chrome rear bumper with bumper tits on it. So it's a 74. The Mahles should be fine from an originality standpoint, at least.

--DD
euro911
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Sep 17 2012, 06:59 AM) *
Those are the tow bar brackets.

And a question - isn't powder coating considered a paint? ... just applied dry?

Do judges deduct points for powder coated engine tins? ... and suspension components?
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Sep 17 2012, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Sep 16 2012, 07:14 PM) *

Tom flag.gif

You didn't mention what MY your 914 is. If memory serves me, the 4 bolt Mahle's were a '74 to '76 option. If your car is a '74, go for it. BTW, be prepared to be nicked for the incorrect tire profile.

Good point, I looked at the bumperettes and assumed it WAS a 1974 car, but if it were earlier they might frown upon your choice and knock you down a few points.
TJB/914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 17 2012, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Sep 17 2012, 06:59 AM) *
Those are the tow bar brackets.

And a question - isn't powder coating considered a paint? ... just applied dry?

Do judges deduct points for powder coated engine tins? ... and suspension components?

euro911

My tow bar bracket was custom made of heavy flar bar and attached with about (10) bolts. Overkill, but a good design by the PO in CA before it came to MI. Here is the only photo I have of the tow bracket.

BTW: I agree, powdercoating is paint with a different method of application. stirthepot.gif

Tom
mepstein
Paint is any liquid, liquefiable, or mastic composition which, after application to a substrate in a thin layer, is converted to a solid film. It is most commonly used to protect, color or provide texture to objects. wikipedia.org
Pat Garvey
Bliz,
Can you describe the process used? These aren't flat pieces of metal. Kinda like to know - softening my opinion of this process.

Also, and I have no experience with Mahles, were the backsides finished the same as the front ....from the factory?
Pat
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 17 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Paint is any liquid, liquefiable, or mastic composition which, after application to a substrate in a thin layer, is converted to a solid film.

True, but the judges won't give a crap about that. If the finish looks like the original finish, they'll be happy. If it looks different, you'll get dinged. The method used to achieve the finish is almost irrelevant.

--DD
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 17 2012, 08:43 PM) *

Bliz,
Can you describe the process used? These aren't flat pieces of metal. Kinda like to know - softening my opinion of this process.

Also, and I have no experience with Mahles, were the backsides finished the same as the front ....from the factory?
Pat

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 18 2012, 12:25 AM) *

Paint is any liquid, liquefiable, or mastic composition which, after application to a substrate in a thin layer, is converted to a solid film.

True, but the judges won't give a crap about that. If the finish looks like the original finish, they'll be happy. If it looks different, you'll get dinged. The method used to achieve the finish is almost irrelevant.

--DD

Pat, Dave & others.
I started with a really nice set of Mahle wheels so I inspected them carefully for a factory finish. It appeared to be some kind of anodized finished all over the entire wheel. I went to a local shop for a price to anodize them and they quoted a min of $150.00 per wheel. Too expensive, so I took them to Fred my high school buddy who owns a powdercoating business. Fred looked them over and said he can duplicate the factory finish with a Silver Metalic finish that looks factory for $80.00 bucks each. First they sand blast with a grab profile for the powder to stick too. Then it goes into the furnace to bake @ 400 degrees. My wheels have the same look/finish as on my business car 2012 FORD Fusion SEL. Next time you see one look at the wheel finish. Mine look the same & they look like the original factory finish/color in my opinion. I agree with Dave the judges will not ding you for this finish.

Tom

cary
Just a note:

Seems $80 is the going rate to bead blast and powder coat wheels. That's what I pay here in Portland.
championgt1
Those look amazing! I should do this to mine instead of spray paint.
Drums66
......Dig'n on that process myself....cool man! shades.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Sep 18 2012, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 17 2012, 08:43 PM) *

Bliz,

Pat

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 18 2012, 12:25 AM) *

--DD

Pat, Dave & others.
I started with a really nice set of Mahle wheels so I inspected them carefully for a factory finish. It appeared to be some kind of anodized finished all over the entire wheel. I went to a local shop for a price to anodize them and they quoted a min of $150.00 per wheel. Too expensive, so I took them to Fred my high school buddy who owns a powdercoating business. Fred looked them over and said he can duplicate the factory finish with a Silver Metalic finish that looks factory for $80.00 bucks each. First they sand blast with a grab profile for the powder to stick too. Then it goes into the furnace to bake @ 400 degrees. My wheels have the same look/finish as on my business car 2012 FORD Fusion SEL. Next time you see one look at the wheel finish. Mine look the same & they look like the original factory finish/color in my opinion. I agree with Dave the judges will not ding you for this finish.

Tom

Have to disagree. Though they're gorgeous, contemporary Parade judges will spot them immediately as non-anodized. But it doesn't matter - your 914 will attract much attention. Good luck. Pat
CMONNETT
Not necessarily, there was a 914 entered in the concours at the 2004 parade in Ft Worth in the preservation class that had a full restoration and the judges didn't catch it. Until someone from the local region the car was from mentioned it.
kerensky
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Sep 17 2012, 07:20 AM) *
If memory serves me, the 4 bolt Mahle's were a '74 to '76 option. If your car is a '74, go for it.
Mahle's were available in '73 as well. My '73 came with Mahles (It's a 1.7 with the full appearance group)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.