Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seal Battery - Sizes ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
I am at a point for my project on the blocks to purchase a battery.

I want the most cranking amps and the battery is in the normal spot.

Will a bigger one fit and still get under the rain tray?

I do not plan on moving it. Definitely think I want a sealed battery.

What model number and kind of sealed batteries are folks using?

Thanks - Comments

73 913 2.0L Stocki
saigon71
Optima red top 34. Fits nicely in the stock battery tray and does not interfere with the factory rain tray.

One problem...I have read many posts on this site that the Optima batteries aren't what they used to be. mad.gif
GeorgeRud
Actually, the 34R has the posts in the correct orientation, but you have to cut off the mounting ears on the base for it to fit.

I'd agree about the deterioration of quality control on the Optimas. My first one lasted almost a10 years, but my last one didn't make it to three. For the additional cost, I don't know that they're worth the money anymore.
kbrunk1
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 17 2012, 07:38 AM) *

Actually, the 34R has the posts in the correct orientation, but you have to cut off the mounting ears on the base for it to fit.

I'd agree about the deterioration of quality control on the Optimas. My first one lasted almost a10 years, but my last one didn't make it to three. For the additional cost, I don't know that they're worth the money anymore.

Any other non Optima sizes?
somd914
I'm running a Optima 75/25 with side mount posts which I like. However, the first one lasted about 4 years, second one lasted 10 months, and if not for the warranty replacment I would have gone for an Odyssey PC925.
RiceNeck
Just another option, this is what I have, it only weighs about 6 lbs.
The bracket is custom made, I relocated mine to the front, but it would work in stock location.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
tod914
Optima 35 works well. About 10 lighter than the 34R. Usually once a year they run a sale with a $25.00 rebate.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 17 2012, 07:40 PM) *

Optima 35 works well. About 10 lighter than the 34R. Usually once a year they run a sale with a $25.00 rebate.

agree.gif I am running an Optima 35, and it just barely fits with the rain tray. You will need to rotate the positive connector around so it doesn't hit, but it fits. I paid about $165 a year ago at Batteries Plus, which was as good a price as I could find at the time.

If I could do it over again, I would look into the other sealed brand - I think they sell them at Costco, but I can't recall the name at the moment. They are reported to be more reliable as of late.
kbrunk1
Anyone use the blace sealed batteries from Wallmart?

If so what model? How many cranking amps do you need?
kbrunk1
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Sep 18 2012, 08:48 PM) *

Anyone use the black sealed batteries from Wallmart?

If so what model? How many cranking amps do you need?

RiceNeck
As another option, you might look at Deka batteries.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.