Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
revhi109
I have the fuel pump with 3 connections on it. Suction, pressure, return. Im still not 100% sure why a pump would need this. I dont think fuel is returning back to the tank at all and I dont think my pressure is exceeding 30psi. I think I have this hooked up wrong or the pump is bad. Is there a way to check it? Am I better off getting the different style pump with only 2 connections?
Dave_Darling
The return port is there in case the pump somehow puts out more fuel than the pressure regulator can dump into the return line. They later figured out it wasn't really needed, at least with the setup that put the pump in the front.

The pump supplies far more fuel than is needed, and the fuel pressure regulator bleeds off all of the excess pressure and dumps it back into the tank. That's the main way that fuel returns to the tank. I'm not sure if the return valve opens at all under normal operation.

If you go with the two-port pump you will have to do some adaptor magic ™, because the inlet is a different size than the three-port inlet.

--DD
JeffBowlsby
FP hose routing reference.
Drums66
DOUBLE TROUBLE.......
Drums66
.....The big fault I've seen when people with early cars do this
(moving fuel pump to front)is leaving the pump EXPOSED?
I would never put it(Fuel Pump)in peril like that! you leave it
open for all kinds of CALAMITY's, just my opinion. idea.gif
bye1.gif
Dave_Darling
How is it exposed? There's a nice metal cover that bolts onto the bottom of the car, covering the steering rack and brake master cylinder and associated parts.

If it's still too "exposed" with that cover in place, remember where it hangs out in the 70-74 location. Still exposed from below.

And if you're still that worried, you can always put it in the front trunk...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.