Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Bryan
Grrrr....Just got an estimate to replace my alternator with a rebuilt Bosch unit, $577 installed and complete....Don't have time to fix it myself, and really don't know what's involved. I thought it sounded steep, but i could be way off base. Sound reasonable? Opinions from the Captin?
Nürburg Nomad
You tell me?: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1970/pors...alternator.html
Nürburg Nomad
A good way to save 50%, spend $200 on a super beefy aftermarket alternator and $100 on a awesome 914 World member grill out to get it done in one evening in your driveway with fellow Teeners! biggrin.gif
914Bryan
Exactly.. Figure a shop has to add 30% for parts so that puts the alternator you found at about 110. So that means a little over 450 to change it out? How difficult is it to check the alternator in the first place to see if it needs replacing? Considering that they had to run a diagnostic in the first place. I didn't ask shop rates, but lets say at 150 an hour, that means it would take three hours to do the job. Am I missing something here?
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Sep 18 2012, 12:00 AM) *

Exactly.. Figure a shop has to add 30% for parts so that puts the alternator you found at about 110. So that means a little over 450 to change it out? How difficult is it to check the alternator in the first place to see if it needs replacing? Considering that they had to run a diagnostic in the first place. I didn't ask shop rates, but lets say at 150 an hour, that means it would take three hours to do the job. Am I missing something here?

For me the quote they gave you is unreasonable but not unrealistic or surprising... consider "retail" is $240+ for example, if they charge that plus whatever labor, it could quickly be the $550-600 you were quoted. Depending on the shop, given lack of knowledge and amount of time it will take to perform work on vintage cars seeing high prices is par for the course, hence classic car ownership being so much more affordable busting your own knuckles. Time to grab the wrenches?! biggrin.gif
Thestigz06
Very timely bryan!
I just replaced mine about a month ago. Its not horrible and could be avoided as well. Before you do anything,check all your grounds and make sure the connections are solid and also check the voltage regulator on the relay board to make sure its not those. If both are fine then yes, your alt is on its way out.
Dave_Darling
You need to remove the left-side heater ducting, the left-front engine tin (those screws can be a pain in the tight space under there!), and the pinch bolt and pivot bolt.

It shouldn't take a whole afternoon, unless you work very slowly indeed or do it wrong. The first three times. (D'OH! Not that I'm bitter.)

You need access from the bottom and from the top. I put the car up on jack stands (of course!) and used a step-stool to get into the engine bay from the top side. I got pretty good at it...

--DD
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(Thestigz06 @ Sep 18 2012, 12:19 AM) *

Very timely bryan!
I just replaced mine about a month ago. Its not horrible and could be avoided as well. Before you do anything,check all your grounds and make sure the connections are solid and also check the voltage regulator on the relay board to make sure its not those. If both are fine then yes, your alt is on its way out.

I agree ^^^, I almost forgot, I thought my alternator was shot when I first acquired my 914, turned out it was the sketchy main ground, -$20 and a few minutes later it was resolved.
euro911
As long as one guy has done it before, two guys can change it out in an hour or so, depending on how much BS-ing you do while doing it aktion035.gif

The first one I did, I got everything unbolted and ready to come out and had a neighbor (with no 914 knowledge) come by to assist from top-side while I was under the car.

A long 3/8" socket extension comes in handy for getting at the pivot bolt's nut from the back side.
shelby/914
If you are doing it by yourself, tie it off through one of the bolt holes to something above. Then when you are under the car your not trying to hold the unit up with one hand while attaching wiring and lining up the bolts with the other. A friend would make it easy.

Dan
euro911
Here ya go - found the tech article

Click here
Elliot Cannon
During the Atomic Ramble in Albequerque I watched Mark b do it in the parking lot. Kind of a pain but not that hard.
SLITS
Charge your battery fully.

Purchase and bring the alternator with you.

Drive the car to Riverside on a Sunday to Slits Asshole Garage & Polygamy Learning Center.

I will change it for you for the cost of a 12 pack of Hanger 24 Amarillo Ale, a 750 ml bottle Tanquery Gin, 1 L of Tonic Water , a pack of Johnsonville Brats and buns.

But, before you purchase the alternator, get a VOM (volt ohm meter). Check the battery voltage (12.5 VDC hopefully). Start the car, check lead to battery with VOM again. If it shows 13.5 VDC or better, the alternator is fine.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 18 2012, 09:21 AM) *

Drive the car to Riverside on a Sunday to Slits Asshole Garage & Polygamy Learning Center.

I will change it for you for the cost of a 12 pack of Hanger 24 Amarillo Ale, a 750 ml bottle Tanquery Gin, 1 L of Tonic Water , a pack of Johnsonville Brats and buns.

But, before you purchase the alternator, get a VOM (volt ohm meter). Check the battery voltage (12.5 VDC hopefully). Start the car, check lead to battery with VOM again. If it shows 13.5 VDC or better, the alternator is fine.

Your labor charges are OUTRAGEOUS!! lol-2.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 18 2012, 09:24 AM) *

Your labor charges are OUTRAGEOUS!! lol-2.gif

Hey! the Tanquery....Brats & Lucy's buns are well
worth it!

laugh.gif
turk22
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 18 2012, 12:21 PM) *

Gin and Brats? I thought it was Gin and juice...
wish I lived in SoCal
914Bryan

Wow! For an offer like that, I will definitely take you up on it. This Sunday won't work but the Sunday after will. I will give you a call. Gotta bring the wife along. Even though she has a big rack, she won't get in the way. Thanks!
Tom
Just do not pay Slits before the work is done. Well, maybe the brats as partial payment. Keep the beer and liquor back or ---- , well, you know.
Hi Slits poke.gif
Tom
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 18 2012, 09:12 AM) *

During the Atomic Ramble in Albequerque I watched Mark b do it in the parking lot. Kind of a pain but not that hard.

I watched him change Linda's alternator at RRC 2010 in about an hour. I think he has done this once or twice.
SLITS
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Sep 18 2012, 09:55 PM) *

Wow! For an offer like that, I will definitely take you up on it. This Sunday won't work but the Sunday after will. I will give you a call. Gotta bring the wife along. Even though she has a big rack, she won't get in the way. Thanks!

Not a problem ... I'll make sure the floors are swept. On Sundays, I am generally here at 9:00 AM. It can be done on a Saturday, but not the upcoming one as I am ridding myself of electronic devices at a local recycling event.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 18 2012, 09:12 AM) *

Yup. Mark b did the whole R/R alone on the ground in about 1 hour.
Steve73
What specifications should I be looking for in a new alternator. Were should I buy one with those specs?

What about the cooling connections that were on the original units?

What about Alternators from sources like advance auto parts, the "offer" them but the look different than the two I have already. The connections on the back are not the same for example...

Advance Auto Parts Alternator
Steve73
Where do you all buy your Alternators? AA, Pelican Parts, somewhere else? I saw a tempting one at Advanced Auto for $60. But knowing how hard it is to replace this when the engine is in I don't want to mess around, and I want one that charges great!

Input is appreciated.

QUOTE(Steve73 @ Nov 26 2013, 08:41 PM) *

What specifications should I be looking for in a new alternator. Were should I buy one with those specs?

What about the cooling connections that were on the original units?

What about Alternators from sources like advance auto parts, the "offer" them but the look different than the two I have already. The connections on the back are not the same for example...

Advance Auto Parts Alternator

euro911
Looks like Advance only has a 90 day warranty sad.gif

Do you have an AutoZone near you? $50 with a LIFETIME warranty confused24.gif ... Click here
rhodyguy
long ago, pre world, there was an issue with replacement alts and the rear cover that came on them. switching the rear plate required some 'dimpling' out, as the longer posts on the rear made contact and blew up the diodes.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.