Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle Shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
The transaxle will not shift into 4th and 5th. What is wrong??? Can I "blame the Great Doc Evil" who rebuilt my transaxle; Can he be blamed for "working his great black, evil magic" on my car?????

No, I cannot. Doc built me one great transmission and gives me as close of gearing in all gears for the street. He matched the needs of my 3.2 engine with the 901 transaxle. Everything works perfectly.

Can anyone guess why it would not go into 4th/5th gear slots?????

You can read and listen to all the advice given by all our experts which is great advice. You will not come anywhere near what caused the problem.

I will let this one simmer for a while and see if anyone can come up with the answer.

We have covered the Doc and how great his builds are for us including his knowledge and advice. Certainly helps us "old fella's" having this resource.

All the major mods have been completed on the car but there is always something more. The next two items I will do after I get the car painted next year will be putting in a hydraulic clutch and the Tangerine Racing Shift Kit. I see these as essential and high quality needed changes.

The car runs very quickly and makes me nervous. Sorting out for the street is now needed. The front and rear suspensions are just too "heavy feeling" with hardly any flex and movement in the suspension. I have to find the right torsion bar, shock, and sway bar settings. Should be fun and will definitely be asking for advice in this area.

Electrical wiring needs some cleanup along with the completion of the interior.

As always, having fun via the 914 sickness!

Steve
Mike Bellis
Will it shift at the transaxle?
Jeffs9146
agree.gif good question or if it is a 3.2 I will assume you have a side shift trans, so I would guess that when you welded up the shift rod for the conversion you welded it a bit off on the shift rod!
shoguneagle
Not even close. Think out of the Box and what could happen by not watching what your are doing.

Steve
shoguneagle
Prior questions are great. I will give a little more hint: Rigging several times would shift in all six gears; take it out on a run, it would come back not going into 4th/5th gear slots. Re-rig several times, it would again not go into 4th/5th after drive; finally, it would not go into 4th/5th slots on additional rigging.

It is something so stupid, I hate to admit to it.

Hope this hint helps; it is a side shift transaxle; it does shift at the transaxle; the shift rod has correct alignment.

Steve

Steve
Jeffs9146
Engine mount to high or to low or off cilter via the trans mounts? This would cause the basic shifter adjustments to be off!? It could also be a bad trans or engine mounts that were installed incorectly!
Dave_Darling
Linkage adjustment slipping?

Hitting something inside the center tunnel? Like the clutch tube which is no longer attached at the forward bracket that is near the gear shift lever? Or the eyebolts used by those spiffy new racing seat belts you just installed?

--DD
shoguneagle
Bingo, Dave!!!! But not what one would expect.

I was getting a good rig statically and when driving shift would not go into 4th/5th slots. It did this several times while going out for a short but slow drive. The last time I did accelerate and then I could not get either a static rig. Felt as if the shift rod became locked tightly out of the 4th/5th slot.

I took everything a part and looked down in the tunnel. I could not believe what I saw - a cigarette lighter lodged in next to the shift rod which eventually would not move. Got it out and replaced/updated some bushings to metal, etc. Shifts great Now.

Moral: Do not blame Doc Evil and his great "evil magic". It is something I knocked into the tunnel - now solved by taking time to investigate. AKA - A Stupid Mistake!!!!

Steve
Dr Evil
Man, this thread made me pucker initially. I hate to think of one of my boxes having a problem. This has happened only twice in over 10 years and over 100 builds. Thanks for the cold sweat, Steve slap.gif
shoguneagle
You Welcome, Mike! Glad to be of service.

Mike, it is a great box and whatever "Evil Magic" you gave it makes it a great one. The gears a little low for the Sixer in the 1st and 2nd, but the changes in 3rd and 4th matches the engine requirements, and I cannot say enough about the Flipped H 5th gear. You gave me cruising at 70 along with pulling power.

Mike, instead of a "cold sweat" I owe you a "cold brewski". or two; or three; or four; . . . . . . . . . beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
Dr Evil
I told you that 1st would be useless, but you said you have a steep driveway that you want to creep up. Are you starting in 2nd?
shoguneagle
Mike,

I start in low gear all the time. It may seem to be a little low but it does meet my needs whether on level ground or up-hill drive. To me, the 1st gear is always used to get the car rolling and keeping any pressure on the clutch minimized. I do not hot rod this box in any gear until it is completely warmed; never in low gear.

My comments were aimed at the overall performance and gear ranges of the entire transmission. The 1st and 2nd gears seem a little low when comparing to the overall changes and new ratios. I definitely can live with this and will use all the gears for what they are intended. Any down shifting and "road racing" will involve the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. I do not intend to race or auto-cross therefore the gears we used in your build are just fine to meet my 914-Sixer sickness. It is peppy and actually is a lot of car for me; just have to get use to it.

If I really want to go fast on the track or the road, I will just start up the C-5 Vette and drive it with the top down. Quickness and agility are my requirements for the open road, not speed. You certainly have given this to me in your box build including the first two gears. You have done and meet my needs concerning the 914-Sixer including giving it your great "Doc Evil Black Art Blessing from the EvilWorks".

You did everything possible in giving the gearbox the best per gear ratios to meet my needs. This includes the first two gears. Gear ratios and performance over the entire transaxle definitely meet my needs and then some.

Now, I am going to go have one of those "brewski's" I promised you.

By the way, I am serious about buying you several beers. How do you want them delivered.

Steve
Dr Evil
Did we do a GA second (1st) in your box?

Beers are best delivered in person, I will have to collect sometime smile.gif
shoguneagle
No, the first is stock "A" and second is stock "F". 3rd "O"; 4th "X"; 5th "Flipped H". I have got "a fox set of gears" and a "flipped H - - -gear" to power my Sixer.
Dr Evil
Ah, yes. That is a popular combo. The other popular one is GA-O or Q-X or Y- flipped H.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.