Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drop Bushings Installation Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Click to view attachmentOK - I am a slow learner with ADD and everything.

Do you put the white bushing on the ball and then press the outer ring of the metal piece on?
Is that the order? I also understand you put the white bushing in boiling water for ?? 10 minutes?

Or do you C Clamp the white piece into the metal drop bar and then press that contraption onto the ball?

Thanks for any help!
jhora
you have it right..
"Or do you C Clamp the white piece into the metal drop bar and then press that contraption onto the ball?"

place on the metal drop bar first...one with the hole facing out then the other one just the opposite...can do this part in a vise or c clamp after warming in hot water....then place on the sway bar bal and shock ball with a c clamp

just take your time and you won't f..k any of the bushing up or your fingers

good luck!
Eric_Shea
Get ready to swear.

Boil the bushings first, then walk them in and around with some assembly lube (vasoline). Might want to use gloves as the hotter they are the more pliable and easier to install they will be.

Some like to drill a hole in the end to ease placement over the ball. I've had luck just slathering them with the recommended moly-lube and whacking them onto the ball with a rubber mallet.
Dave_Darling
agree.gif Make sure to have a good supply of swear-words handy.

I used a vise, and had to poke and prod with a screwdriver because the bushing was still trying to deform and squeeze its way out of the hole in the drop-link. It took a lot of work...

--DD
JawjaPorsche
A C clamp really helps too.
ConeDodger
A famous 914 mechanic I know, drills a tiny hole through the back of the bushing and then uses a vise to squeeze it into place...
Eric_Shea
A famous 914 mechanic I know, drills a tiny hole through the back of the bushing and then uses a vise to squeeze it into place...

The hole would aide in easing the fitting on the ball of the bar or the ball of the lower shock bolt. Hard to get a 914 on a vise. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.