Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 944 Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Just wanted to show off our newest build... 944 single piston, floating steel calipers:

IPB Image

This is our first couple of sets. We finished these for Henry at Intermeccanica. Really happy with the way they turned out. I must say, I like the ATE's much better than the Girling version found on various VW Buses etc.

You can see the build process here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...mp;l=88d2516f44
wingnut86
SCHWING!!!!

drooley.gif
scotty b
Wow, blink.gif if you only knew how many of those I have tossed in the scrap pile. Who the hell wants those turds ?
3d914
Didn't I read somewhere that these were adaptable for the 914?
matthepcat
I have the 944 turbos on my teener. Requires some machining to work.
wingnut86
I thought you could buy an adapter rail for the Turbos?
DanT
Eric,
In the near future I may be in the market for a pair of those for the front of my bug project! smile.gif
SUNAB914
How about 928s4 calipers Eric, do you rebuild those?
Eric_Shea
Who the hell wants those turds ?

Probably guys that want to restore or keep their 944 original.

Oddly enough, at 7lbs. 10oz., they're about 2lbs. lighter than those A-Calipers (SC/Carrera) that everyone likes to put on their cars. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 19 2012, 05:16 AM) *

Who the hell wants those turds ?

Probably guys that want to restore or keep their 944 original.

Who the hell would want to do that ? screwy.gif

Oddly enough, at 7lbs. 10oz., they're about 2lbs. lighter than those A-Calipers (SC/Carrera) that everyone likes to put on their cars. biggrin.gif

And they're still a floater stromberg.gif poke.gif
Eric_Shea
Agreed... thank God not too many cars were equipped with these awful single piston floater design calipers. Too many related deaths I'm sure. They probably flex too! ohmy.gif
wingnut86
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Sep 19 2012, 07:34 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea

We have a full set here we're experimenting with. The problem with the later Brembo's is... Brembo. They have made the kits unbearable. Each bore seal is $25.00. Each dust boot/wiper seal is $32.00. Now x8 ($456) or x16 ($962) and you've just covered the "rubber" bits for your restoration.

To refinish them properly requires fully stripping them, de-anodizing them, re-anodizing them in black, assembling them, clear coating in high temp clear and then re-machining the PORSCHE logo. There's another $400 per pair to get them like factory new.

Who's ready to pony up $849.00 per pair for these dime-a-dozen calipers? This is why I currently call them "throw-a-way" calipers.

The spring plates in the pad cavity are also a problem. Almost all of the fasteners need to be machined out. Small fastener in steel into an aluminum body.

Again, we're experimenting with some low cost finish alternatives. It's admittedly a back burner project.
brant
those look flexy......

bigkensteele
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 18 2012, 05:54 PM) *

Just wanted to show off our newest build... 944 single piston, floating steel calipers:

IPB Image

This is our first couple of sets. We finished these for Henry at Intermeccanica. Really happy with the way they turned out. I must say, I like the ATE's much better than the Girling version found on various VW Buses etc.

You can see the build process here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...mp;l=88d2516f44

My cousin gave me a pair of these, and I was never able to determine exactly what they came from until seeing this picture. I have M calipers for the front. Would these be something worth considering for the rear? I have't yet decided if I will keep my car narrow or install flares (but I am leaning toward flares).
Eric_Shea
No. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Again, we're experimenting with some low cost finish alternatives. It's admittedly a back burner project.

Getting closer though... biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
" floating steel calipers"? How do you get them to float?

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
On a boat...
wingnut86
...in a Moat...

With a Goat...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.