Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Where you in a Fraternity in college?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
This morning, my wife said 914club was like a fraternity. It's almost like we're brothers, and many of us go out of our way to help our fellow 914club members.

Where you in a fraternity (or sorority) in college? Maybe you have a brother or sister here in the group!

I'll start...

Phi Kappa Tau (Alpha Rho Chapter) at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Go Jackets!
ChrisReale
I hope I don't offend anyone, but fuck no. I went to Washington State University, and all the frat houses I went in smelled like a wet bathroom. I choose not to live in that type of habitat. Not that I am the cleanest person (ie clean freak), but it was on the verge of unsanitary. barf.gif
Qarl
Yeah... Georga Tech was full of a bunch of engineers (i.e., Geeks), so it wasn't as bad there as some other schools.

I visited one of our chapters at FSU one year and was shocked.

But anyways... back to the question...
McMark
Nope, I don't like to apply to be friends with people. biggrin.gif
Qarl
Nope, I don't like to apply to be friends with people.

I hate when people think that this is what Fraternities or sororities are about.

Maybe it was different at Tech.

I visited a bunch of fraternities until I found some guys that I had something in common with. I hung out with them. I chose them, they chose me.

We had one semester to decide if we were compatible. We were and I joined and paid my dues. The "dues" I paid were for running the house and paying dues to the national headquarters. The dues didn't go towards buying my friendship.

Dorm life sucked at Tech.

I think my experience was enriched so much by being part of an organization. We were active on campus, had a great social life, and I actually saved money throughout college versus living in a dorm and buying foot at the cafeteria.

I am still friends with many of these guys to this day.
Rusty
Yep... it was a military-style fraternity.

But it's funny that you say that. Pam calls this place the "Frat-boy board". lol2.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
McMark
But why did you go looking at fraternities anyway? You basically said you went shopping for a frat to join. Why?
seanery
people who weren't in a good fraternity, or one at all, don't get it. Some of my very best friends today were in the same fraternity as me. Some of them were my best friends before, too.

Delta Chi - Indiana University (kicked off campus and charter pulled in 2001 headbang.gif ) I anticipate recolonization when everyone that was in it has graduated.
Qarl
But why did you go looking at fraternities anyway? You basically said you went shopping for a frat to join. Why?

Well... my freshman roommates in the dorms left a bit to be desired.

Why did I go "shopping" as you put it? I had some family friends that had been in a fraternity and they encouraged me to check it out as a way to enrich my college life.

I'm glad I made the choice.

And Seanery's right, people that weren't in a fraternity (or a good one) don't get it.
Aaron Cox
im at an enginerd school too.

no fratboy here. people say your "buying friends, that buy you booze"

in the words of "curtis" on this bbs-
"half the fun of being under age is trying to get the booze"
VegasRacer
Sigma Phi Epsilon. Sig Ep.
I was a legacy so they had to let me in.

Kansas State University. Go Wildcats.
'Every man a Wildcat. Every cat a wild man.'

IPB Image
McMark
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 27 2004, 06:37 PM)
people who weren't in a good fraternity, or one at all, don't get it.

That's because we haven't been brainwashed.
IPB Image
Muahahahaha!
SpecialK
Sure I was - Delam, Delam, Delam........it was a composite repair college biggrin.gif
MattR
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Oct 27 2004, 06:14 PM)
I hope I don't offend anyone, but fuck no.

agree.gif

I live about a block away from all the frat houses here at UCI and they're a bunch of drunks.

Im not saying I dont enjoy an occasional beer, but they have parties every day. I know college isnt all about school, but you gotta study some time! Frats werent always like this, according to my uncle, but now days it just aint cool. Its like they're trying too hard. AND you can't haze now! Its like the liberal solution to frats...
Qarl
I often see news reports of fraternities at various colleges where someone gets killed because of alcohol poisoning, women are raped, or pledges injured in a hazing accident.

My experience was far from that. We partied on weekends... you could always find someone to have a beer with during the week. We had our girlfriends... We had our hazing stories too, but very conservative compared to the olden days!

And the fraternity life I experienced was nothing like the media pictures it nowadays.

But again, maybe it was the school I was at. Many of us were in very difficult majors. If you didn't make grades, you were often kicked out of that particular college. So we did our share of studying.

Things HAVE changed though. When I went through college, I think there were one or two smokers in the house. When I was last there to visit.. something like 80% of the brothers there smoked..
MarkV
Sigma Alpha Epsilon / University of Arizona

We got kicked off campus and lost our charter in my second junior year. Too many incidents involving hazing, police, alcohol, property damage ...............

Good thing or I probably never would have graduated. Seven years of college down the drain. :finger2:
Jenny
I was in a fraternity at Sac State. No, wait. I wasn't. Sorry. biggrin.gif

I went to plenty of frat houses. Saw a bunch of the girls on my floor pledge. They all wore these little black dresses to their 'mixers'. Went with my hall mate on a hunt for chinese food at 3am for one of his 'brothers' while he was pledging (woke up to him busting down my door and jumping on my bed, his nose an inch from mine). Heard them carrying rocks and chanting something or other on the levy one night.

So.. no. I wasn't in a Fraternity in college. Thanks for asking!

Jen
Meredith
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 27 2004, 08:32 PM)
AND you can't haze now!

There is still hazing in some frats and sororities (I know, I know, not all of them). But that's the part I don't understand. Why would I go through hazing and being treated like crap and then call those people my "sisters"?

Then again, what do I know? I'm not in one... smile.gif

Mer
scruz914
My college years were during the anti frat times.

My Daughter was accepted (or whatever you call it) to a Sorority at the University of Oregon last year. She backed out because it all seemed so phoney. No hazing, but lots of buddy buddy and better than thou. I do respect the hard work that the Greek system does for the community, etc. Being a parent of a "sister" can be quite expensive and involved.

-Jeff
JB 914
Kappa Alpha Order Delta Kappa Chapter Steven F. Austin State U.

I didn't graduate from there, but, i did spent my first two years.

I graduated from University of St. Thomas in Houston. No Frats. No Sports. No SCANTRON tests. Just a great liberal arts education.
wheelo
I didn't need to "officially" join a frat, I had friends in several ( Delta U's and Sigma Alpha E's also EAE's) @ SDSU .... Good thing I had to work to pay my own-way !
or I might have partied 24-7 too! Instead I could only burn brain cells 24-3 .... Those were the days when my alma mater was consistantly rated the #1 party school in the country by Playboy magazine!.... Fact, it was, and the frats were the Pimp-Daddys of partydom.....

smoke.gif aktion035.gif

drunk.gif beerchug.gif

beer.gif

cool_shades.gif
DNHunt
Gamma Chi chapter of Sigma Nu, University of Washington

At a school as large as most universities, a smaller living group is pretty important. The dorms there had a similar theme at Washington and I could have been happy there too, I suppose. The faraternity just worked out for me.

These people are still my closest friends and the people I call if I need help, except with the 914, then, I call you guys.

Dave
dflesburg
I went to a local school in Dayton.
Worked 30-50 hours a week cooking and waiting tables to pay my way.

It took 7 years (plus 1 year off in 1986) to get through.

I wasn't in a frat. The frats on campus at Wright State at the time didn't have a house, they dated fat chicks and basically were loosers. I did WAY better solo.

And, as far as partying goes, lets just say that now I am a friend of Bill W. and greatful that I lived through it.
plas76targa
Early 70's while in Jr College (Keystone JC La Plume, PA) guys on my floor started their own "fraturnity", called it GFU - for Get F'd Up! Yeah, it sounds foolish, but what they hey, we were young...

after that I went to Roanoke VA and joined Pi Kappa Phi, a "real" fraturnity. It too, lost it's charter several years ago and we're working to get it back on campus. I have alot of good friends who are good people from there. Heck, that's where I rode in my first Porsche - in a brothers' 914! Some good came from that!

We had all the fun mentioned so far and I'd like to think we weren't as bad as some have thought Fraturnities to be. and like most anything you do, you get out of it what you put into it.
Rhodes71/914
I went to Western Washington University and there were no fraternaties or sororities. It was one of the reasons I chose that school. Partied a few times at UW and was so glad we didn't have to deal with the Frat stuff at WWU.
Series9
University of Central Florida, in Orlando. Never joined a frat because those guys just didn't drink enough for me. beer3.gif
tat2dphreak
Tech was a big Frat school, I hated that about it...

I was too poor to buy my friends, I saved the money for beer and raman noodles
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Oct 27 2004, 07:10 PM)
Where you in a fraternity (or sorority) in college?

College?!? wacko.gif confused24.gif idea.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif
SLITS
I was in Cannibus Moka Delta Phi - CSULA - smoke.gif We partied and uhh, oh well I don't remember biggrin.gif I KNOW it enriched my life! wacko.gif
Mike D.
Pledged when I was a freshman, it lasted about a week. Quit because the dick heads wanted all kinds of dumbass shit, like stopping to salute and not talking in their presence while on campus.

RENT - A- FREIND! JOIN A FRATERNITY!

:finger2: :dhead:
boxsterfan
Phi Kappa Tau (Northeast Missouri State University...now called Truman State University.

Qarl: Going far?
carr914
Theta Chi @ Susquehanna University. Theta Chi has gone dry nationally. I would not want to be a member without beer. We always had 3 kegs on tap. Sahara Beige Steve lived in town at the time. Did we make a pledge way back then to keep as many 914's alive as possible?
T.C.
bperry
I went to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville
back in the early 80's and I never saw the point of pledging.
The whole "Greek life" thing always seemed pretty stupid to me.
All the crazy stuff they forced the pledges to do.
And that was nothing compared to what the "little sisters" went through.
I knew all kinds of guys & girls that did it. What was the point????
Couldn't these folks make friends, party and get laid on their own?
I knew and hung out with some of them and even attended
their parties, had access to all the same cheat notes and
pre-written papers,
So why bother with all the BS and slavery of pledging?
I just never saw the point.

--- bill
balljoint
I met George and John at a quiet little fraternity at Yale.
S'all I can say.
TheCabinetmaker
Tried to join a frat at OU in 73 after southeast Asia. They laughed at my 914. I said :finger2:, and never looked back. Still got that 914!!!!!! Got no frat brothers, just real brothers. smoke.gif
mskala
QUOTE(Qarl @ Oct 27 2004, 09:10 PM)
Where you in a fraternity (or sorority) in college?

Nope. GDI. I think many people here have already expressed
better than I could how weird it is to set up such an arbitrary
artificial friendship group.
Jenny
QUOTE(Qarl @ Oct 27 2004, 07:10 PM)
Maybe you have a brother or sister here in the group!

There was an RA in my dorm (desmond hall @ Sacramento State) that had a 914. Brent, or Bret, or something like that. I remember scoffing at his car when he said it was a Porsche. May the good lord strike me dead. headbang.gif I think it might have been signal orange.

Jen
EdwardBlume
Sigma Phi Epsilon. Sig Ep.
I was a legacy so they had to let me in.

Kansas State University. Go Wildcats.
'Every man a Wildcat. Every cat a wild man.'

Yeah man, Sig Ep - UC Santa Barbara

Its always fun to see the debate between greek vs non-greek. IMO- its all BS either way you argue it because most people are against the side their not on. Being in a frat is like living in a dorm except you get tatoos and can actually drink in the halls. Its not all bad either, I was the philanthrpy coordinator for 2 years and we did a lot for the community.

If any of this offends anyone - I'm all 914 now baby!!!
buck toenges
Delta Tau Delta, University of Cincinnati. Frat life was a whole bunch cooler then living in the dorms. I didn't rent any friends. I remember one morning looking out a back window and watching 6 guys lifting my 914 out of the way to play some basketball. Another time a buddy who lent me his van for a date got kinda mad that I didn't bring it back until the end of the weekend rewired the horn of my 914 to go off when I started the car. Maybe it was because I intergrated the frat/914 life altogether but Frat life was great! But then again being 20 years old with a porsche, girlfriend, beer, and freedom is one one of the great pleasures of life.

I got 3 boys and a girl. I got three porsche for them to take to collage.... The girl is going into a convent.
dralf
beer.gif I was in AEPi at Miami University, Oxford Ohio.
They had a great house, nice parties, and yes I lived through some hazing...it seemed to unite I and 3 guys and as the school year progressed we just moved out to do better on our own. Those guys have been life long friends to this day and that's 30+ years....
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Oct 27 2004, 08:32 PM)
Yep... it was a military-style fraternity.

I joined a military type fraternity also.
theol00
I tried to move into a sorority house - but they wouldn't let me cool.gif
dflesburg
Welcome to the board dralf...

Do I know you?

I live in Centerville.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.