Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Challenging Carb Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
We were having trouble tuning a customer's 2270 engine.
One cylinder would never idle properly but it would run at elevated rpm just fine.
When we removed the carb to inspect it, we found that the idle mixture screw had been screwed in too hard, pushing the seat through the casting.
It had been sort of repaired by glueing the seat into the hole, but the glue wasn't holding up too well and the seat was loose and misaligned.
At first we attemped a simple repair using JB Weld to hold the seat in place, like the first repair.
That worked for a little while, but the epoxy softened up from fuel and the seat came loose again.

Rather than throw an otherwise good 44IDF in the spare parts bin, we made a permanent repair by boring out the carb base and installing a custom made sleeve.
(you can see the edge of the broken out area around our 1/4" milled hole)
Click to view attachment

We used a short piece of 3/8" od aluminum rod found in our material storage area to turn a 1/4" od shouldered insert.
Internally we drilled a shouldered hole for the seat to press into and tapped the insert with a M5x0.8 thread for the mixture screw.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The insert was installed with green loctite.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

In the last picture you can see the drilling for fuel to the mixture screw that goes from the bottom of the carb base into a passage cast into the carb body.
The bottom end of the hole was plugged with lead.
We drilled up through the newly installed insert, and resealed the bottom of the hole with a short aluminum plug and a little JB weld for final seal.
FourBlades

Wow, nice repair!

John
rhodyguy
very cool. that ias had to have been reefed on by a gorilla.

hey. how did "win" in my sig get changed to blue and underscored? i didn't do it.
mrbubblehead
nice repair chris beerchug.gif
SUNAB914
great, does it work now?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Sep 20 2012, 03:35 PM) *

great, does it work now?

Much better now. smile.gif
Idles smoothly at 900 rpm on all 4.
cgnj
Hi,
So how much to do this repair on a buried air bypass screw? Have a spare set of dell 45s in a box. One has with this problem.

Thanks,
Carlos
ThePaintedMan
Pretty cool Chris. Your engineering skills never cease to amaze me. BTW, I have a couple spare 44 IDF bodies if you are in need of spares.

-George
euro911
thumb3d.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(cgnj @ Sep 20 2012, 08:06 PM) *

Hi,
So how much to do this repair on a buried air bypass screw? Have a spare set of dell 45s in a box. One has with this problem.

Thanks,
Carlos

I looked at a 40 Dell I have here. Seems like a similar repair would take about the same time. Nearly 3 hours, or around $250.
gothspeed
Looks good ..... smile.gif
RS22b
Looks good Chris! Thanks for saving it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.