Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust port sealing surface.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearhead1432
When I removed the heat exchangers on my '72 I ran into two problems. First, a ton of rtv was used probably to fix a leak. Second, one of the ports had a soft dent in the copper gasket that went through to the seat bellow. Are there any good ways to get this to seal on reinstallation? I have a new set of gaskets that I annealed, however I'm weary of just trying rtv like the privious mechanic did. This is on a 1.7 that will be replaced after I get the body work done.

Thanks,
-Rob
yeahmag
Can you shoot a quick picture of the damage and post it here?
euro911
If you can work inside the port, clean it up and fill the ding with some J-B Weld. It should work OK for a temporary fix because it will be sandwiched between the head and sealing ring. A machine shop can heli-arc and resurface the port for a permanent fix when the heads go in for any other work confused24.gif .
Gearhead1432
I don't think I have pictures with me now, as I'm overseas.

I think I'll try the epoxy and cross my fingers. Worst case senario I replace the heads, which I plan to do, just not yet.

So limited Jerry rigging is acceptable some times?

-Rob
Bartlett 914
I think the danger using rtv or epoxy would be from these likely failing and having a leak. The leak if very bad for the head as it concentrates heat in one spot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.