Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73p914
well i of course have a 914(1973). and it just seems like the work is never ending. i sometimes i just want to stop working on it but then relize how cool it is to be one of the only 18 year olds to own such a beautiful piece of history!!! just need some helpful push along words... ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm happy to hear that young adults such as yourself are still interested in the little cars. I actually used to worry about "who" was going to carry the torch for us 20 years from now. If you attend a Porsche event.. most of the people are in their late 40's...LOL

Keep your chin up. This clubsite was founded on the principle of helping people such as yourself. Take advantage of it. Ask anything and everything. You even have some help in your area that we can round up if need be.

B
73p914
well i've always been into vintage cars. and the reason i bought the car is to start my portfolio for college.(porsche mechanic) and i wanted to show the company that i was serious but im not rich so i bought one i could afford and also one that i loved... and i hope that this is just the beginning to a large collection of vintage porsches. :wub:and it just makes me so mad to see everyone in there hondas and acuras(and i do mean everybody!) so thats why i had to be unique and get a rare site!!
Brad Roberts
First thing you need to do is visit the local Porsche dealership and get a intern job washing cars or sweeping floors. Porsche will send you to their school if you show interest in turning wrenches. I'll be real honest... they dont teach what they used too. Now the cars are plug and play... they throw away before they rebuild anything.

B
73p914
yeah i know what u mean and i know my car is obsolite technology but its the only porsche i liked that i could afford. and i have already been accepted to uti in houston for the porsche apprentice programm
Brad Roberts
UTI is a good school and Houston isnt too far from you. To get a head start... start contacting dealerships NOW before you get out of UTI. Let them know what you are doing and when you will be available. Call them every few months to keep your name fresh with them.

B
double-a
congratulations! they're fun cars and the source of much learning. don't fry your electrical system like i did. wacko.gif i relish the uniqueness of these cars, it goes a long way, even when they're frustrating.

i'm 30 and have owned my 914 for about a year now, sure wish i had it in high school though. i had a '65 rambler in high school that was actually pretty nice, but in 1993, old cars were not the first choice of high school guys. i didn't care, it was a v-8 with lots of chrome and the best power steering.

it's funny, not so long ago i was walking back to the 914 and a small group of young guys, maybe 16, were hanging around the car. "is this your porsche? it's really cool."

ah, from the mouth of babes... biggrin.gif

~a
Howard
remember the alamo. we're all losers who love to play the game smile.gif

We call a UTI a urinary tract infection. Same in Texas? biggrin.gif
swood
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 27 2004, 10:05 PM)
remember the alamo. we're all losers who love to play the game smile.gif

We call a UTI a urinary tract infection. Same in Texas? biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Brett W
Not to rain on your parade, but a friend of mine is the head instructor for all of the Porsche techs in the country. He teaches at PCNA when I was looking at going the same route he said don't waste your money on UTI. Go to a dealership and get in with them and they will send you to school for free. It may take a little more time but don't let that bother you.

Go and find a local dealer or a private POrsche shop and start working with them for free if necessary and then you will have the expereince to walk into a dealership.
rick 918-S
clap56.gif wavey.gif
Stutgart46
You've got my number. Maybe after the kids finish with baseball I can come over and spend a Saturday with you. Working with somebody makes you feel like you're getting so much more done.
When you get a little down, just go to the Members Pics and check out some of those sweet rides. If that doesn't inspire you nothing will.
Bleyseng
My son Blair is at UTI in Phoenix maintaining a high grade average (3.9). Some of the attendees are pretty lax but alot of the students are there for really learning. Blair wants to get in to the Porsche training also. He is still trying to get into a dealer job without any luck. Anybody got any in's in the Phoenix area??

Geoff
MarkG
QUOTE(73p914 @ Oct 27 2004, 08:51 PM)
just need some helpful push along words... ohmy.gif

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then give up. No sense being a Damn fool about it" WC Fields

"Why don't you just give up?" Hazel to Doc, "Cannery Row"

Know the feeling, spent over $2k in new FI and ignition parts for mine and it still wont even sputter. Ran fine until I removed, cleaned and replaced the old throttle body. Si I bought NEW TB, MPS, injectors, CHT, trigger points, dist breaker plate, wires, coils, plugs, cap, rotor etc.

Keep at it....I am!
DonTraver
Discouraged? You bet, we've all been there. Should have seen me during my paint job, or the ignition problem, etc. But when they're running sweet, there's nothing like them.

Make a list of all that needs to be done, I know, a really long list, lol, was for me too.

Pick something off the list, concentrate on that one item until it's done, cross it off, pick something else.

Keep a complete record of all work done, how you did it, parts, troubleshooting, etc. I've got my history on the computer for the car, from the beginning of the restoration till done, long.

Ask for help, especially with troubleshooting, I know that's not a guy thing, but no one knows everything (except the Richard Simmons guy last weekend in Riverside at the BBQ),

I get stares and compliment on my 914-6 all the time now, but it took me 2 1/2 years to finish the restoration.

I'm a retired Navy Chief Engineman, Fleet Diesel Inspector, 30+ years, and I'm the first to admit, Beats the Hell out of me, lol. Machines and People have one trait in common, they will all throw you curves.

Hope this helps, I have a lot of 914-4 parts, if you need any let me know, they're free.

Take Care, Don
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 28 2004, 06:18 AM)
My son Blair is at UTI in Phoenix maintaining a high grade average (3.9). Anybody got any in's in the Phoenix area??

Geoff

Just a few suggestions...

Porsche North Scottsdale
Scottdale Lotus (they do A LOT of Porsche work)
Stuttgart Southwest
Patrick Motorsports
Don Jackson Performance
plus many others in the Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa area.

If he wants a job in Porsches Phoenix is a good place to be. Getting in may be tough but like most niche industries, once your in, your in!
aveale
This project -when complete- will give you confidence you could never get anywhere else.

Until then, continue to learn, and remember, every minute you spend, will reap hours of fun!

T
Rhodes71/914
Well you have come to the right place for advice and helpfull words. I got my 914 in August site unseen. Car dollied it home, 10hr trip. I didn't really expect to get the engine running, had no idea of the condition. With the help of this board I was able to get it running and took the car out yesterday for the longest drive yet smilie_pokal.gif . just in time for the snow.

Keep working on your car and don't be afraid to ask any questions, I know I have asked some ?'s that might be considered dumb by some but it didn't matter I still got great replies.

This site Rocks! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.