Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB -Early rain tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Pat Garvey
You never know.........

I've searched for the elusive non-cracked early flat bottomed rain tray for 5 years now.

I've bought 3 that were mis-represented and two that were close, but POS's. Have quite a stash of cracked rain trays! Been snookered, and just plain hoped for perfection that was close. To no avail.

If, and I say "IF", you have an early tray that has ZERO cracks and you can prove it with hi-res pics, I will pay $300 for it! But I want guarantees. If it isn't as portrayed/described you must be willing to take it back. I'll pay shipping one way. You pay the shipping if it is rejected for any cracks, splits, tears or chips. Light paint overspray is acceptable, but will reduce the price.

Please don't try to sell me something that isn't flat bottomed - already have that & recognize that it's a better piece.

If you have one that's still mounted to an engine lid....remove it first to see if it cracks or splits. They usually do.

I'm still hoping.
euro911
The one on my '75 had some rips and cracks. I used a low wattage soldering iron to meld the rips shut. I was going for functionality, so it doesn't look great, but works fine.

Maybe there's someone out here who works with plastics who can heat weld and reshape one of your not-so-bad ones to look good enough for your requirements?
OU8AVW
Euro has a good idea. I work with some guys that make custom lexan windscreen and other cool plastic molded stuff for boats. I would be happy to try them out. They're super cool and owe me a favor or two. I just don't have a rain tray to try, The one on my 71 is perfect biggrin.gif
Just kidding, I too am in need.....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 21 2012, 04:56 AM) *

Nope, that's the later tray.

Early one is totally flat on the bottom, with the exception of recesses for the mounting straps.

They changed to the ribbed bottom sometime in the middle of the 73 MY.

The later model is a much better/sturdier piece, but I'm after orifginality.
Pat
euro911
Looks flat to me confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Porsche-914-...=p2047675.l2557

best one I have have ever seen. i have one but the cirlce around the screw is broke out completely.
speed metal army
I think ive got one...have you found one yet?
Mikey914
Pat I have not forgot you. I need to finish a few projects and I'll be giving this a shot. In ABS.
-Mark
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 21 2012, 06:55 PM) *

Looks flat to me confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Yep, that's a "flatter" alright! Shouldn't be on a '75 though.

I'll wait a bit more for Mikey to do one in ABS though.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 23 2012, 08:55 PM) *

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Porsche-914-...=p2047675.l2557

best one I have have ever seen. i have one but the cirlce around the screw is broke out completely.

I have 3 that are far better then that, but still slightly cracked and doomed once mounted.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 24 2012, 08:19 PM) *

I think ive got one...have you found one yet?

Nope. Actually, I should say that I've bought five. All were promised to be crack/warped free. One of them looked like a truck had been parked in the center of it for year. All others had cracks worse than my original, which isn't really all that bad - just not perfect.

Send me pics of yours (hi-res please) at pg914@netzero.com. Please focus hardcore on the mounting points.

Thanks,
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 24 2012, 10:54 PM) *

Pat I have not forgot you. I need to finish a few projects and I'll be giving this a shot. In ABS.
-Mark

Thanks Mark!

I know of several people waiting for this!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.