Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.2 MFI Engine Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevenjhuey
I have a 1970 original six with a very tired 2.0 motor. I have a friend that just pulled a rebuilt with 60K miles 2.2MFI (S?) motor out of his 911 and is selling. I'm considering buying this and putting it in my car until I have the money to install the 3.2 I bought.

*Will the 2.2MFI motor bolt right in or will there be any clearance issues with any part of the MFI components?
*Would anyone recommend removal of the MFI and installation of the Webers from my 2.0?
*Should I just forget it and wait until I can install the 3.2?

Steve
lapuwali
If everything is in good working condition, keep the MFI. It's neat stuff. If the MFI needs rebuilding, it's a toss up in cost to do that or buy a new set of Webers. Personally, I'd have the MFI rebuilt. The MFI stuff should clear fine, if you remove the rain tray. It's no taller than a set of Webers. I *think* the 2.2 should bolt up to the 914 gearbox w/o any trouble. The 2.4 and later engines need an adapted flywheel.
airsix
If tuned right the MFI will put down more power than webbers (less restriction) and nothing in this world sounds better than a small MFI six. IMHO.

-Ben M.
michel richard
I've done this: currently run a 2.2 E with MFI in my 914.

It was a bit of an adventure, but it can be made to fit. You will lose the rear trunk springs and will have to fabricate a lot of stuff. You need to find a way to get air to the warm-up regulator and you will have to do some re-wiring.

Make sure you get the relay board, or at the very least the MFI specific electronic parts on the board (although I'm not sure how you would connect those if you don't have the board)

One other big thing is access to the idle adjusting screw: it will be very difficult to adjust without putting a hole in the firewall - although the hole can be pretty small if it's in the right place.

See the following thread, my engine bay is about two thirds down the first page.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...0&hl=engine+bay

You need to use rainshields.

Let me know if you need more info.

Michel Richard
michel richard
It's the idle mixture adjusting screw that's hard to reach.
Stutgart46
If I'm not mistaken you will have to change the manifold on the webers and that can get expensive. You may be better off just getting some new webers.
If you want to sell that 2.0 please get in touch with me. I need one.
Root_Werks
It is not that tough to do. If you can, get it! A 2.2E is 160hp and a 2.2S is 180hp so well worth the small amount of work to install. I have done the MFI install 2-3 times. It isn't that tough. When the time comes, ask us, lots of people here are in the know and will help out. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
So you have a 3.2 already? Why would you spend more money for a 2.2 which will require a bit of work to install (gotta work around the drive belt, fabricate an effective heat riser, do some wiring, install the fuel filter assembly, etc.)? I mean, it'll fit right in, but there are so many little (well, not so little) things to hassle with that you may as well fit the big motor and be done with it. The Cap'n
airsix
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 28 2004, 08:24 AM)
fabricate an effective heat riser

That one's easy. Just set it up with a manual choke cable. But I concur on the 3.2

-Ben M.
d914
"until I have the money to install the 3.2" ????????????

A rebuilt 2,2 w/ mfi = $4-5k minimum ??????

install a good 3.2 if you already own the engine:

- fly wheel clutch
- adapter plate??
- some pluming for the fuel injection??
- a little wiring and playing with the motech
- bigger header

gotta be less tha $5k
Series9
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Oct 27 2004, 10:42 PM)
The 2.4 and later engines need an adapted flywheel.

The flywheel from your 2.0 will work with all engines up to 2.7.

3.0,3.2 use a special flywheel and 3.6 has a different one as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.