Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secret 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jaymann
I was wondering, who else here has 914s, , that no one knows about.Or am I the only one, that is this far gone.Anyone else stashing projects away,that friends and the wife, do not know about??? Is this crazy???Jaymann from PA
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jaymann @ Sep 21 2012, 10:01 AM) *

I was wondering, who else here has 914s, , that no one knows about.Or am I the only one, that is this far gone.Anyone else stashing projects away,that friends and the wife, do not know about??? Is this crazy???Jaymann from PA

I have a factory 914/6 that only a few people have ever seen. biggrin.gif

My girlfriend of 5 years, who rides with me in my "other" 914 all the time has never seen the original /6.
shades.gif
jersey914
Not yet but planning to be a part of that world

bye1.gif
Jaymann
Come on Guys fess up,I know there are more of us out there.So lets come clean.My wife knows about 2 cars, same as most of my friends.But I have a couple more hidden projects,stashed away plus lots of parts.Jaymann from PA
JamesM
I had one stashed for about 6 months from my wife in a storage unit, she would have killed me if she knew i had another one. I kept it there and on my way home from work every day would stop by and strip a few parts to get it ready for paint. Had to come up with some stupid excuse to get a large enough block of time to pull the engine and trans.

Anyways, got it painted the color she wanted "if she had a 914" and brought it home when she was not around. She didnt even realize it was there for a while, but when she finally did the look of total confusion was priceless! She picked the color and I call it her car so i didnt get murdered for having another one but...

she doesent know how to drive a stick biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Jeffs9146
Lennies914 Had one hidden happy11.gif but his wife knows about it now!! idea.gif
TheCabinetmaker
It took my gilfriend of 8 years, 9 months to notice the lift in my shop. Even with cars on it, she didn't notice for 9 months. Her first remark was " how @#$&*!! much did that cost". My answer was " 9 months worth of your paycheck". She did not laugh.
toolguy
I know about this one. . one owner, PCA guy, died and his wife left it in a shed. . Never been touched for many years. . He bought it when he was in Germany, drove it there and shipped it back when he transferred. . It was one of the very first 1970's and he ordered every option available.. .
I looked at a bunch of pictures she sent me, but it looked too far gone. . the weather water, and critters have taken their toll. .
SirAndy
QUOTE(toolguy @ Sep 21 2012, 12:27 PM) *
It was one of the very first 1970's and he ordered every option available.. .

Did you get the VIN?
idea.gif
bulitt
Once, many yrs ago...I bought a car from an Orthopedic Surgeon in Danbury Ct. Who had 23 - 356's, 2 -944 race cars, and 2- ferrari's
shelby/914
I have a someday project out in the barn, which my wife has seen. But, I'm not sure she realizes its mine. Probably assumes it's one of my buddies car. It was a running car until the 1.8 gave out. A little rough around the edges, but could be up again in a weekend with the spare 2.0 in the garage. But it's not someday yet.

Dan
mhuber45
I had a 73' 2.0 shipped to my dad diesel shop b/c my wife told me she would killl me if i bought another one..its a bit rusty by has a rebuilt engine, trans, turbo tie rods and 23MM torsioin bars and a set of Scheel seats..once i get rid of my Ghia i will have it delivered
cantley914
QUOTE(mhuber45 @ Sep 21 2012, 03:47 PM) *

I had a 73' 2.0 shipped to my dad diesel shop b/c my wife told me she would killl me if i bought another one..its a bit rusty by has a rebuilt engine, trans, turbo tie rods and 23MM torsioin bars and a set of Scheel seats..once i get rid of my Ghia i will have it delivered

Is Ghia the name of your wife ???

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
r_towle
I love my wife.

She rarely goes in the barn smile.gif
Valy
QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 21 2012, 11:46 AM) *

I had one stashed for about 6 months from my wife in a storage unit, she would have killed me if she knew i had another one. I kept it there and on my way home from work every day would stop by and strip a few parts to get it ready for paint. Had to come up with some stupid excuse to get a large enough block of time to pull the engine and trans.

Anyways, got it painted the color she wanted "if she had a 914" and brought it home when she was not around. She didnt even realize it was there for a while, but when she finally did the look of total confusion was priceless! She picked the color and I call it her car so i didnt get murdered for having another one but...

she doesent know how to drive a stick biggrin.gif

Looks to me that she handles the stick quite well....
Michael N
Factory Creamcicle roller hidden away for now.

Click to view attachment
rohar
Nope, none here.

IPB Image

Seriously, I don't milk goats and the wife stays the hell out of the shop. Such is life.
Jaymann
Hey guys, thanks for the input.I am glad, I am not the only one.I know there has to be alot more of us here.I understand that not everyone will post,because some guys women,might look at this site.Jaymann from PA
dlkawashima
A real 914-6 patiently waiting for someone to rescue it ...

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Mr.242
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Sep 22 2012, 10:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Are you $%@#$% Kidding me.... ? blink.gif
Jaymann
dlkwashima:That car needs to be on the road.I am sure i could hide one more.Jaymann from PA
JStroud
I don't have that problem, my wife knows about every car I buy, I don't need to hide any. She doesn't care how many cars I buy, as long as I keep paying the bills. I do offer a 914 hiding service, Lennies car sat out back for almost a month before we took it to his shop and his wife finally saw it happy11.gif

My wife is even paying for my new shop I'm starting next month, guess I found a keeper lol-2.gif (we've been married 28 yrs)

Jeff
JmuRiz
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Sep 22 2012, 09:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I'd gladly hide that in plain sight in my garage while I restore it...probably can't afford it though sad.gif
euro911
QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 22 2012, 06:17 PM) *
I don't have that problem, my wife knows about every car I buy, I don't need to hide any. She doesn't care how many cars I buy, as long as I keep paying the bills. I do offer a 914 hiding service, Lennies car sat out back for almost a month before we took it to his shop and his wife finally saw it happy11.gif

My wife is even paying for my new shop I'm starting next month, guess I found a keeper lol-2.gif (we've been married 28 yrs)

Jeff
Almost the same story here, Jeff. My wife knows about all the cars (and bikes) ... and chips in for the shop cheer.gif

... and to top it off, we're celebrating 28 years today smile.gif
mepstein
As long as the bills get paid, no issues with how many cars,bikes, toys, ect.
patrick3000
We have the 71 that has been in the shop for the last two years and I'm sure the my wife has forgotten about it, does that count?
mr914
Snuck one home this spring. Not sure if I'm going to restore or part it. 6 conversion, getty dash, Fred flint stoner brakes
Gint
Do piles and piles of parts count? wink.gif
turk22
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 22 2012, 11:31 PM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 22 2012, 06:17 PM) *

Jeff
Almost the same story here, Jeff. My wife knows about all the cars (and bikes) ... and chips in for the shop cheer.gif

... and to top it off, we're celebrating 28 years today smile.gif

Congrats on 28 years!
biosurfer1
I've noticed Jamie (JRust) has been quiet so far...could he be looking for extra fingers and toes to help him count?smile.gif
Pat Garvey
Been married for 42 years. Learned LONG ago not even try to hide anything from her. I was caught once, when I tried to hide some SSI heat exchangers in the basement.
"What are these?" I told here, and she asked how much they cost - "$320, and our old ones are rusty". To which she told me - "all you had to do was ask - they could look better though. Get me the Simichrome". She made them look like they were chromed!

Point is.... once they're involved it's so much more fun.

Never, ever tried to "pull the wool over eyes" again. I have her support because "Fritz" (she named him) just turned 40 last month. Whatever he needs he gets.

You should all be so lucky!
Pat
euro911
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 23 2012, 06:13 PM) *
.... Get me the Simichrome". She made them look like they were chromed!
That's cool. I'm glad my wife helps with the shop lease and doesn't nag me too much when I spend a lot of time there. As for polishing car parts? ... that would be pushing the envelope laugh.gif
Jaymann
Yes piles of parts do count here.Fist, I would like to thank, those who have responded.This thread has been very entertaining so far.I know alot of you must not have seen it yet,or are on the fence about jumping in.I am sorry, I have not added any pics yet.But Promise to add some soon.So dont be shy,lets see what ya got hidden.Jump right in.Jaymann from PA
JRust
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Sep 23 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I've noticed Jamie (JRust) has been quiet so far...could he be looking for extra fingers and toes to help him count?smile.gif

Hey my wife knows about all my cars. She just rolls her eye's when I bring home another. Plus I have been on good behavior. Even with the one I just brought home I only have 4 smile.gif . Married 20 years now & she is a keeper. I've got a 73 Alaska Metalic blue waiting for a restore for her. Unless I find another one done first evilgrin.gif .The trick for me is my 914 habit does not come out of our budget. I have my slush fund for cars. When I sell something it stays in my slush fund. Works out great for us both piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
Greenie hides his from The General in plain sight. lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment
Drums66
sssshhhhhh..........ssssssshhhhhhhhhh
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif
Drums66
Double Trouble
euro911
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 24 2012, 03:25 PM) *

Greenie hides his from The General in plain sight. lol-2.gif
laugh.gif

Like when you notice the wife is wearing a new blouse or a new pair of shoes, and she says, "Oh, I've had these for a long time"

Nice camouflage job ...
914Sixer
When I was seriously in to 914's, it was nothing to have 4 or 5 cars setting back behind the fence. Wife never was really sure what was there or not. The 911's I bought I had to fess up to because they LOOKED DIFFERENT than the 914's.

MikeSpraggi
Back in November of 2007, I saw an ad in Panorama for a 914/6 for a decent price and it was only 20 minutes from me. At the time I had a '73 2.0 that I was very happy with and thought that I would never own a /6. So I called the guy knowing it was sold. It wasn't. Hmmm. So I made an appointment to see it knowing I wouldn't be able to buy it. Went to see it, checked it over, saw the receipts and he told me the major "repair" history of the car. When he started it up, I lost all control and said "I'll buy it". A branch of my bank was only 10 min away, so I went and got a cashier's check, told him I'd be back in a couple of days to pick it up. Darn ...... how to tell the wife. I know, I'll hide it somewhere. But where? Oh yeah, mom's garage until I sell the '73 2.0 liter. Driving to church through the park one sunny Sunday morning, she turns to me and asks "So what's this about a new car that you bought?" Told her I was selling the "old" 914 to help pay for the "new" one. She never said another word about it.

Haven't hidden anything else since. Oh, I did tell her I was going to Baltimore to pick up a part for the car and came home with a trailer. We'll be celebrating 25yrs of blissful marriage in November ............ I think unsure.gif .

Click to view attachment
shawn914
Don't have one yet.... but I am thinking about getting one. Good validation here for this idea I thought was only mine.... unsure.gif
euro911
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 24 2012, 06:17 PM) *
When I was seriously in to 914's, it was nothing to have 4 or 5 cars setting back behind the fence. Wife never was really sure what was there or not. The 911's I bought I had to fess up to because they LOOKED DIFFERENT than the 914's.
laugh.gif

My wife knows the difference between them too. I need to get one of the old 911s or 912s back on the road (engine swaps) because it's going to be a while before the restoration is completed on her 914. She keeps bugging me dry.gif
Jaymann
Shawn914:Go for it,live the dream.since you are close bye,I could probally help ya hide it lol-2.gif I might just open a secret storage garage idea.gif Jaymann from PA
racerbvd
Click to view attachment
mepstein
So the real trick here is not to hide them but to get the wife on board with the collection.
r_towle
I dont let me wife in the back of the barn.
shawn914
Well I did it.

I think this just qualifies as a secret 914 since my spouse does not know that this has happened...yet. I did provide a few clues/warnings that I may have found a solid body 914 to merge with mechanically solid 914 already in garage. After many emails back and forth, I made a deal to purchase this car currently secreted away in seller's basement, ready for assembly, body and paint work. Seller has advanced it nicely, including flares and rust repairs, among other changes. I'll probably start a project thread once I bring it home later in October. It definitely won't be a secret then...

Jaymann
Hey Shawn:That is awesome!!!Congrats on the new project!!!Looks like its gonna be a real nice car.Let me know if you need a hand.Jaymann from PA piratenanner.gif chowtime.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
shawn914
Jaymann - thanks for the offer..I'm looking forward to the project and will probably need some help at some point. Some point being after I unload it - hah... Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.