Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sanding Brake Disks and Pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Car has not moved for 25 years.
Should I use 80 grit sand paper for the small rust spots on disks?
What about a light sanding on the pads?

Thanks
DBCooper
No real need, the first time you press the brakes will be just like emerycloth anyway. Just make sure all the hydraulics are in order.

Should add that if you've rusted patches into the discs they might need replacement, but you can find that out by driving it, letting the pads and disc re-bed, and then see where you are. And after sitting that long you really should check the condition of the bearings and seals at least on the front, to be sure you've got enough grease left to keep things up there turning.
Andyrew
80 grit would be to much anyways.. Just use either brake cleaner or like 120 grit.

Might be worth it to take the disks in to have them trued.
Valy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 21 2012, 05:17 PM) *

No real need, the first time you press the brakes will be just like emerycloth anyway. Just make sure all the hydraulics are in order.

Should add that if you've rusted patches into the discs they might need replacement, but you can find that out by driving it, letting the pads and disc re-bed, and then see where you are. And after sitting that long you really should check the condition of the bearings and seals at least on the front, to be sure you've got enough grease left to keep things up there turning.

agree.gif
I would worry about the hydraulics first. I bet your master cylinder is RIP.
mightyohm
Replace rubber brake lines, flush the whole system, and plan on rebuilding any calipers that are stuck. The color of the brake fluid when it comes out will tell you how bad the situation is. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.