Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need wiring guru's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
keske968
I am finally in the process of putting my 914 back together and am almost done. I swapped fuse boxes from the stock to a JWest unit. However, during the process some of my labels fell off. Here is what I know. It appears that everything works except for the following:

My driving lights all work but my brake lights do not
My wiper motor does not work
The Emergency brake warning light stays on at all times
With the ignition in the "on" position the e brake warning light and the hazard light next to it flash even with the hazards off.

What have I screwed up? It almost seems that I am missing a cluster of wires for the output on the number 8 fuse. But everything seems to have a home.

Frustrated and lost and so close to being back on the road.
wingnut86
I haven't got my factory manual close, but there should be more than one feed or post here that with a search will turn up the wiring diagram. That's your 1st starting point. Page Jeff Bowlsby as well, if he's reviewing posts this weekend he can possibly make a quick reference to the correct direction on this.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(keske968 @ Sep 21 2012, 07:30 PM) *

I am finally in the process of putting my 914 back together and am almost done. I swapped fuse boxes from the stock to a JWest unit. However, during the process some of my labels fell off. Here is what I know. It appears that everything works except for the following:

My driving lights all work but my brake lights do not
My wiper motor does not work
The Emergency brake warning light stays on at all times
With the ignition in the "on" position the e brake warning light and the hazard light next to it flash even with the hazards off.

What have I screwed up? It almost seems that I am missing a cluster of wires for the output on the number 8 fuse. But everything seems to have a home.

Frustrated and lost and so close to being back on the road.

The brake light switch is located under the pedal board. You may have pulled it loose while swapping the relay board. Not sure what you did wrong but these may help... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
keske968
I have all the wiring diagrams. Where under the pedal board is the brake light switch? I have looked under the board but did not see anything obvious.

Any guesses on the wiper motor at all?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(keske968 @ Sep 22 2012, 05:40 AM) *

I have all the wiring diagrams. Where under the pedal board is the brake light switch? I have looked under the board but did not see anything obvious.

Any guesses on the wiper motor at all?

At the rear base of the brake pedal.
Tom
That is tough to troubleshoot this way. I can give a couple of pointers, but you are going to have to trace out the wiring to make sure.
The wipers are powered from fuse 8.
The e-brake light will flash if the brake imbalance switch is tripped.
You will have to use the wire colors to see if you have the wires in the right places. If that doesn't work, you may be able to determine what wire goes to which load by using an ohmmeter. It will be slow!
If you have the occasion to do things like this again you should make up a disconnect list. This lists all of the connections and what wires go where and the identifier label/tag you have assigned thet wire. When I installed my J-West fuse panel, I used small round tags tied to the wires and only removed them after all was working OK.
Here is an example. Wire colors are not from the actual car, just for example purposes.
Tom
JeffBowlsby
agree.gif Sounds like some of the wires were not placed in the proper locations on the new fuseblock. You need to determine which wire goes to which component and hook it up properly on the fuseblock. It will probably require an ohmmeter and long leads to verify each wire with the factory wiring diagram, then check it with the J-west instructions as to where its located. The aftermarket fuseblocks are not configured like the factory stock fuseblocks, J-west uses the adapter terminal as I recall to fit more wires on one terminal so you need to be accurate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.