Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for seat upholstery kits with corduroy inserts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hi, been looking for a while for a seat upholstery kit for my 72 914 (moveable passenger seat) with the corduroy inserts. I have seen the basket weave ones around but have not been able to find ones with the corduroy inserts. I have heard you have to be careful cause there are cheap ones out there that use NON-automotive grade quality corduroy and wears out very quickly. If somebody knows of a shop or place that makes kits like these with excellent quality that will last for many years please let me know. Thank you
Mike Bellis
Does TMI do 914 stuff? idea.gif Don't they have upholstery shops in Japan? What is an automotive grade corduroy? I thought they stopped using that stuff in the 1980's...
bigkensteele
I am certain that Autos International can make a set for you.

http://www.autosintl.net/
GeorgeRud
Autos Intl. made a beautiful set with inserts for me. I find the cloth much more comfortable and cool when the sun shines and the top is off (which mine almost always is).
bembry
George--what's the ballpark price for a set of seatcovers from them? I'm needing new ones with corduroy too.
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 23 2012, 03:30 AM) *

Does TMI do 914 stuff? idea.gif Don't they have upholstery shops in Japan? What is an automotive grade corduroy? I thought they stopped using that stuff in the 1980's...

Sorry, what is TMI? Yes, there are a couple of upholstery shops in Japan and only one I know of in my area but they do not have the correct material and the guy has never seen a 914 in his life.

According to George at AA he told me to be careful when using Corduroy for seat inserts. He mentioned there is automotive grade and non-automotive grade (Furniture) and told me the later wears out much quicker with a life span of around 1 year or so.

I am looking for a quality kit that I can install myself like the ones from A and P but with no basket weave.....I am also in need of the side bolster material cause mine are splitting at the seems.

My local upholstery has no idea what to do and said they were not condifent to work on my car and I thought it would be better to try this myself if I can find some complete kit.......anybody??
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 23 2012, 07:39 AM) *

Autos Intl. made a beautiful set with inserts for me. I find the cloth much more comfortable and cool when the sun shines and the top is off (which mine almost always is).

Thanks !! I acutally searched their site before starting this thread here and found no info on corduroy inserts. I should try to contact them and see what happens and get some prices. Corduroy seat inserts look fantastic on the 914's and is also completely factory.
ellisor3
They will send you samples of corduroy.
Mike Bellis
TMI Products. They do VW and 356 interior kits.

www.tmiproducts.com
Tom_T
Jaimie,

In addition to Autos International, check with World Upholstery at the link below.

http://worlduph.com/

In both cases, email to them with what you're looking for in color & material - original sample pix if available, & see what they can match. They sometimes have access to other materials in addition to those shown on their websites.

Both AI & WU sell 914 kits that you or a local upholstery shop can install.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bembry
Tom,

World Upholstery told me no go on corduroy.

Auto International can do--I'm having samples sent my way. Corduroy is an extra $200 though. Yikes.
matt5596
QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 6 2012, 09:32 PM) *

Tom,

World Upholstery told me no go on corduroy.

Auto International can do--I'm having samples sent my way. Corduroy is an extra $200 though. Yikes.

How'd this work out for you? I'm in search of corduroy material for my '71.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.