Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pierburg pump quit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I have a pierburg rotary fuel pump that just quit ... in the intersection!
I can still hear the motor hum like normal but no fuel reaches the carbs.

Pulled the hose off and gas flows with gravity through the pump but with power on the volumn does not increase. Is it toast or ???

Your experience expertise says?
walterolin
I would go for simple first - have you checked the electrical supply? Both the hot side and ground.

Olin
walterolin
QUOTE(walterolin @ Sep 22 2012, 02:21 PM) *

I would go for simple first - have you checked the electrical supply? Both the hot side and ground.

Olin

Whoops, my bad, you said you heard the motor hum. Probably not electrical unless you have developed a high resistance ground.
Katmanken
If it spins, it should work. I'd guess a plugged filter, or a pinched line after the pump.

FYI Those rotary pumps are lubricated by gasoline, and a little bit of running them dry makes them eat themselves. Good that it leaks gas through the pump.
Katmanken
I hope you are not using a high volume high pressure Pierburg EFI fuel pump on a set of carbs and throttling the pressure from 30 psi down to 3psi.

That's a recipe for a fire and/or a fried pump,
bandjoey
Is the 3-5 lb pump for carbs. I'll pull it out tomorrow and see. Have a new filter and hose.
ConeDodger
I just installed an RX-7 pump in my 240Z. I got it through Amazon for $47 shipped. It is absolutely silent and produces 2.5psi with the regulator set at the same setting the previous pump produced 2psi while creating a jackhammer like noise. If I were running carbs I would use the same one on the 914...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.