Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Polishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
I didn't find him, but Greg McNair told me about a guy down by Prunedale that does wheel polishing. Mirror Image is the name.

Took a couple of Avon barrels down to him yesterday and no question he knows what he is doing.

Also think his prices are fair.

Does all the work for a couple of national big time fabricators, one of which you guys visited during the last big event out here....
koozy
Avon makes wheel barrels? I didn't know that. Tell me more
Rand
You did what?
Rand
Oh man. Sorry Randal.
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Sep 22 2012, 01:12 PM) *

Avon makes wheel barrels? I didn't know that. Tell me more

Opps, meant to say Gotti(*) barrels. Acutally you can buy any barrel you want, but they are expensive. Depends upon the size, but they start at about 180 euros and go up. But why am I telling you this??? You already know.

BTW I finally found some outer 4"ers, so now have the option of running 4"/7" to move the tire an inch closer to the inner wheel well.

(*) Ha, guess I just have AVONs on the mind. Can't wait to see how A15's work on a light weight car...should work seeing this is what they were designed to do. Sure wish I had had them on and dialed in at the Cascade Lakes event. It was so cold...they would have worked perfectly.
koozy
At the moment I'm stuck with the 275 Hoosier A6 since Hoosier doesn't make wider A6 tires. The trans I built is geared for the 15 inch wheels. I need to lighten up the car and tie in the front and rear suspension points to the cage.

Maria doesn't see racing as a vacation so we are going to Brazil for 14 days.
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Sep 22 2012, 09:01 PM) *

At the moment I'm stuck with the 275 Hoosier A6 since Hoosier doesn't make wider A6 tires. The trans I built is geared for the 15 inch wheels. I need to lighten up the car and tie in the front and rear suspension points to the cage.

Maria doesn't see racing as a vacation so we are going to Brazil for 14 days.

WHAT Brasil over Medford? Ha, I take Brasil as well. How is your Portuguese?
koozy
I think I remember about a dozen words but that's it. Ha ha ha. Lucky for me I have a good friend there and we will be visiting him. Also, my mother was raised in Brazil and she will come to visit. It should be a wonderful couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't been out of the USA in a very long time. Though, I would love to have the option to go up north for the enduro. I really want to do that next year.
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Sep 23 2012, 01:22 AM) *

I think I remember about a dozen words but that's it. Ha ha ha. Lucky for me I have a good friend there and we will be visiting him. Also, my mother was raised in Brazil and she will come to visit. It should be a wonderful couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't been out of the USA in a very long time. Though, I would love to have the option to go up north for the enduro. I really want to do that next year.

I'm sure you'll get to see plenty of preparation for the Olympics. That will be fun.

As to Medford they keep track of the times, so you can always go after mine or Britain's when you decide to go up.

Same with Cascade Lakes... i think you can run SPU, i.e., under 3 liters, right?
koozy
How often do they have the enduros at this place?
koozy
Yea, I have a mild 2.7 with no real plans for upgrades.
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Sep 23 2012, 11:49 PM) *

How often do they have the enduros at this place?

Spring and Fall.

The only issue with the Spring Enduro is that the passes can get a snow storm and you have to chain up your trailer and truck.

Also cover the car so it doesn't come out looking like it was drug through a mud pit.

I've got a cover to use just for such events, but last year decided not to go when it was snowing and it looked like the event was going to have rain on both days. As it ended up everyone got dry runs on Sunday.
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Sep 23 2012, 11:53 PM) *

Yea, I have a mild 2.7 with no real plans for upgrades.

For the hill climbs, there is SPU (under three liters) and SPO (over three liters). Sonny runs his 7 liter Cobra in SPO and is really fast. On the hills you and I would be running together.

Next year my objective is to run a low 1:5X at Cascade and 2:17 or better at Hoopa. When I started at Cascade the SPU record was 2.01, set by Randy Grubb in his Dad's Lotus. Wish he was still running the hills as a great guy to hang with, although he'll be at the Medford Enduro and a top competitor, so looking foward to seeing him there.

At Medford you'll probably have to run XP.

Randal
Here are the barrels I just had polished down in Salinas. Came out nice.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.