Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Do I need new front suspension bushings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
Noticed this while R&Ring the blower motor in my 84 carrera this weekend....

What's the likely prognosis? Front suspension bushings?

Admins -- wasn't sure how to embed a youtube video, so a link is below.

911 squeaking suspension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLOf0dZA_Q
poorsche914
Sounds like it. Or if they are still in good shape, may be able to lubricate them. confused24.gif

driving.gif
euro911
How do your ball joints look? They could be the cause as well.

Use a teflon-based spray on bushings ... petroleum-based products (WD-40) will expedite deterioration.
bigkensteele
and lower it while you are in there poke.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 22 2012, 07:51 PM) *

I'd check front sway bar bushes first. Look for rust trails at all four attachments.
Easy to change on Carrera era cars. Temporarily lubricate with anything just to verify.
Next would be tie rod ends (not likely), then lower control arm bushes (which can lead to torsion bar failure) then ball joints (also not likely).
rwilner
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 23 2012, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 22 2012, 07:51 PM) *

I'd check front sway bar bushes first. Look for rust trails at all four attachments.
Easy to change on Carrera era cars. Temporarily lubricate with anything just to verify.
Next would be tie rod ends (not likely), then lower control arm bushes (which can lead to torsion bar failure) then ball joints (also not likely).

thanks rory you're the best!!

I"ll shoot the sways tonight, and plan on replacing those along with the a arm bushings and tie rods anyway---turbo tie rods are on the list.

Trying to avoid a complete front suspension overhaul.....must resist....!!
rwilner
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 22 2012, 11:51 PM) *

lowing to euro ride height, alignment and corner balance are on the docket for the winter, along with new tires.
rwilner

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 23 2012, 07:04 AM) *

you nailed it -- shot some lube into the sway bar bushes and the creak is gone. New ones on order, along with a arm bushings and turbo tie rods.
euro911
Cool.

I had to spray the lower strut mount bushings on my Tacoma last week. My wife refused to ride in it anymore until I did something about the incessant squeaking dry.gif

Need to replace them pretty soon anyway, they have 107k on them now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.