Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any disadvantage to 3 inch struts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I am offered a good deal on some early 911 struts, but they have the 3 inch caliper spacing. Is there a disadvantage to these? Are calipers easy to source?

Thanks
mepstein
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 23 2012, 08:20 AM) *

I am offered a good deal on some early 911 struts, but they have the 3 inch caliper spacing. Is there a disadvantage to these? Are calipers easy to source?

Thanks

Easy and cheap. (M calipers)
tomeric914
No problem with 3" spacing happy11.gif

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
They also work fine with Boxster calipers.

nsr-jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 23 2012, 10:48 PM) *

I thought the 3 inch spacing struts from the T 911 models would not fit any of the later calipers? Do those boxster calipers bolt on? Or do they need special adapters? I have the same struts and am thinking about upgrades in the future. I know PMB has a caliper kit with alloy calipers that bolt on to 3 inch spacing but have not heard about boxster ones. Someone please let me know. I would love to have cool Boxster calipers on my 914...but they have to clear 15 inch Fuchs (15 x 5.5J) and fit my early 911T (3inch spacing) struts.

Can't somebody just machine some adapters?? I would like to see that. drooley.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 23 2012, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 23 2012, 10:48 PM) *

I thought the 3 inch spacing struts from the T 911 models would not fit any of the later calipers? Do those boxster calipers bolt on? Or do they need special adapters? I have the same struts and am thinking about upgrades in the future. I know PMB has a caliper kit with alloy calipers that bolt on to 3 inch spacing but have not heard about boxster ones. Someone please let me know. I would love to have cool Boxster calipers on my 914...but they have to clear 15 inch Fuchs (15 x 5.5J) and fit my early 911T (3inch spacing) struts.

Can't somebody just machine some adapters?? I would like to see that. drooley.gif

Boxster calipers need adapter blocks to put on a 914. Rich Johnson sells the kits. If you use the rear mounting blocks on the front, you can use the 3" 911 struts.

blitZ
Cool, looks like plenty of options. Aluminum Brembos? Where did you get those?

Thanks all

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 23 2012, 08:15 AM) *

No problem with 3" spacing happy11.gif

IPB Image

mittelmotor
I'm pretty pleased with the M calipers on my V-8 conversion, with a std 17-mm master cylinder, stock 914-4 rear calipers and a T fitting replacing the proportioning valve. Takes a lot of leg, but they haul the car down from speed nicely in aggressive street driving. Easy to source, cheap and with the cooling holes for the V-8 conversion, I can bleed them from inside the frunk! piratenanner.gif
blitZ
These struts come with Boge inserts. Will they fit the 914?
rohar
I've been kicking around 3" adapters for these lately:

IPB Image

Bring big rims. No, bigger than that. 17" minimum.

4x40mm pistons per caliper. Could be fun.
Dave_Darling
The 3" struts have good odds of being earlier than the 3.5" ones. They may have the bolt-retained ball joint instead of the later improved wedge-pin one.

You can't just bolt up A or S calipers to the 3" struts.

Those are about the only downsides I can think of.

--DD
tomeric914
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 23 2012, 03:05 PM) *

Cool, looks like plenty of options. Aluminum Brembos? Where did you get those?

They are Alfa calipers

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/6862358.htm
craig downs
I machined a couple pair of 3" struts for me and Aaron Cox about 4 years ago for our boxter calipers. It was a lot of work but they work great. We did a thread on it so if you look for it you will probably find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.