Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gonna get under the car...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Going to jack up the car and get under on my new HF creeper to clean some grease. Since I'm gonna be breathing this stuff, I assume Simple Green is going to be sufficient along with a wire brush.

Any other thoughts on doing this ?
mittelmotor
Hey Jim,

I'm sure that will work fine. Simple Green also makes what they call Motorsports Degreaser that's worked well for me. WD-40, too.

A set of plastic scrapers or a metal gasket scraper are great tools to assist with gunk removal, along with that wire brush.

Good luck!
underthetire
That orange cleaner from the dollar store works pretty good and its a lot cheaper.
Bob L.
I would recommend the simple green heavy duty. It's blue and works pretty well. also, something like a Popsicle stick with the end cut flat is good for scraping the goop from between the fins on the bottom of the engine and other crevices. Lots of clean rags for wiping up.
Good luck.
JawjaPorsche
Simple Green works great! Used it to clean my wheel wells and they look like new.
'73-914kid
I've always used simple green, just becasue it doesn't leave a white film. Purple power is pretty good too, but not matter how many time you spray everything back off with water, there is always white residue. I've been using simple green on it ever since, and it leaves no residue.

BTW, the blue simple green is more cost effective to just dillute into you're own spray bottle..
somd914
Simple Green is great for general cleaning and for moderate oil/grease crud, but for really caked on crud or stuff down in crannies (e.g. tranny case) I use brake cleaner - but be careful, brake cleaner can eat at some paints.
Mike Bellis
How about bringing some ramps or jack stands to your local coin car wash. Some still have the under car sprayer. BTW you may need a rain suit too.

Then use simple green to get the stubborn bits.
balljoint
Ask Ferg.

FERG.gif
SUNAB914
Just a suggestion, take it as you will. Many years ago, we used simple green to clean our Amphibious Assault Vehicles in the Marine Corps. It was supposed to be bio degradable, but we didn't care. Anyway, we found that simple green does clean the heck out of everything but be careful on any rubber parts. It will make the rubber really soft and mushy. This didn't help us at all when radiator hoses began blowing.
I like purple power for cleaning.
rhodyguy
jim, Oil Eater (avail @ costco) works great. comes big jug that seems to last for ever, and is way cheap.

k
jim_hoyland
The WD40 was the easiest. Gonna use the Simple Green to clean up the garage floor... smile.gif After I get the majority off, would steam get the last ?
bigkensteele
Simple green works fairly well. I would also suggest the part cleaning brushes from HF (or your FLAPS). They are good for the nooks and crannies where a scraper just won't go.

I wouldn't spray any solvent on at all until you have scraped off as much as you possibly can by hand

It also depends on just how clean you want it. If you are entering a concours, do yourself a favor and pull the drive train and put it up on a stand. Of course, that is a slippery slope, since you will be stricken with "while I'm in there" disease and it could be years before you drive it again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.